Hartz Kills... *Again*

Old June 11th 04, 10:32 PM
~*Connie*~

Actually, most places around here for a long time had a very small hand out
near the hartz that warned that cats can have reactions. Although honestly,
I haven't see it in a while.

I am appalled that not only does hartz continue to sell it, but no one has
required they stop! I mean come on.. where's PETA (said with only a smidge
of sarcasm)

Unfortunately, most people just don't know about the danger. I think
every veterinarian, shelter, groomer, breeder and pet store should
display warnings about Hartz, personally. If the woman in the story
had been told about the dangers when she bought the product, I highly
doubt she would have put it on her cat. If the law isn't going to
require that these products be adequately labeled (or better still,
pulled off the market), then I think pet stores, etc., should take it
upon themselves to warn people of the dangers. And it would be a
heckuva lot more effective than the occasional news story about a cat
that was killed by these products.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 11th 04, 11:28 PM
Laura R.

circa Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:32:09 -0400, in alt.cats, ~*Connie*~
) said,
Actually, most places around here for a long time had a very small hand out
near the hartz that warned that cats can have reactions. Although honestly,
I haven't see it in a while.

Probably because Hartz *supposedly* cleaned up their act.

I am appalled that not only does hartz continue to sell it, but no one has
required they stop! I mean come on.. where's PETA (said with only a smidge
of sarcasm)

Agreed.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 12th 04, 01:52 AM
JoJo

I mean come on.. where's PETA (said with only a smidge
of sarcasm)

*snip*

PETA is too busy doing important things such as asking Pam Anderson to talk
to KFC about their chickens being too top heavy (I guess Pam would know
about being top heavy). Or promoting college kids to drink beer instead of
milk. I think they had an important campaign underway here in PA - some
city had the name of a meat - like hamburg or something - they petitioned
the mayor to change the name. I've got to wonder if Hartz support PETA,
which is why they've never been subject to PETA's scrutiny.

Old June 24th 04, 09:30 AM
Electric Nachos

All of this could be avoided by dousing the furry ****er in a bucket of Dawn
dishwashing liquid and water. It kills fleas - and vigorously drying with a
terry cloth towel brushes the blood suckers right off!!

wrote in message

From:
http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...22/detail.html

Cat Dies After Getting Over-The-Counter
Flea Treatment
Vets Warn Some Animals Can Have Adverse Reactions

WELLSVILLE, Kan. -- A family's beloved cat died this week, shortly after
receiving an over-the-counter flea treatment made by Hartz, KMBC's
Krista Klaus reported.
According to local veterinarians, the treatment can cause reactions in
pets, ranging from seizures to death in rare instances.

Kelly Sturdevant and her kids buried their Siamese cat, Mariah
(pictured, left), in their back yard in Wellsville, Kan.
Sturdevant said Mariah died a few weeks after she was treated with Hartz
Advanced Care flea and tick drops for the first time.

"She stopped eating and she was throwing up," Sturdevant said. "I kind
of feel like it was my fault. If I didn't put it on her, she'd still be
here."

Mariah's owners took her to a veterinarian, and the cat was put on an
intravenous drip for four days, but her liver gave out, Klaus reported.

The vet said Sturdevant wasn't alone.
"He'd had several reports of cats coming in who had that stuff applied
to them," Sturdevant said.

Vets at a specialty clinic in Overland Park said they see at least one
or two cases of toxic reactions to similar products every month. That's
why Dr. Jean Greek advises her clinets to stick with prescription flea
treatments.

"Over-the-counter products have a much less safe track record than
prescription products do," Greek said.
Greek added that the makers of over-the-counter flea treatments will
reimburse pet owners for vet expenses in the case of an adverse
reaction. In Sturdevant's case, that amounts to about $300, Klaus
reported.

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing