16 day kitten, eyes not open

Old August 11th 04, 06:50 PM
Sharon Talbert

the dormancy for most diseases, so there is only a small chance that
she has something. Although, I seem to remember reading about feline
panleukopenia, which can affect their eyes and/or nervous system and
you may not know until they turn up blind or unable to walk well.
Well, another round of the waiting game has begun....

Exposure to the distemper virus en utero can result in a kitten born with
cerebellar hypoplasia. Generally, the kitten has impaired coordination
but can also have other health problems. I didn't know about the
possibility of blindness, though I know of a woman who had a CH cat born
blind and unable to walk. It did fine until an incompetent vet allowed it
to fall from the exam table. Campus Cats has a cat (now 10 yrs old) with
severe CH. Tipsy is unable to take a single normal step but gets herself
to the litterpan, food dish and water dish on her own when she has to
(most of the time, she has me at her beck and call, of course).

Generally kittens found to have this condition are euthanized outright.
I just wanted to put the word in not to give up too easily on this kitten
if she is CH. CH is related to the distemper virus but is not contagious;
Tipsy has her shot every year, like every other cat in the household. I
don't expect her to live quite as long as a cat without CH, but she is
healthy now and I hope to have her a good long time.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
Seattle
Old August 14th 04, 05:45 PM
Samantha G.

I don't know of a vaccine declared safe for kittens as young as 3 weeks,
though the Heska vaccine (which is delivered in drop form to the eye and
nostril) is safe for kittens as young as 4 weeks. We use it routinely
for our rescue babies.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

I mispoke, she is 3 wks now, going to the vet at 4 wks. What is the
Heska vaccine/ what is it for?

As for her appetite, she is now eating well again, up to 20-25 mL
at a feeding. According to my chart, she should be between 60-80 mL a
day over 3 feedings. Right now she is eating around 65-70mL.
Her eyes are opening, the right eye is a darkish blue/black color,
but the left eye is a milky blue. I can't get through to the vet, and
am not sure if I should call the emergency number, as there is still
NO discharge from either eye. I don't think that it is an infection,
it appears more like a cataract over the eye. any advice?

thanx, samantha g.

Old August 14th 04, 08:52 PM
Rhonda

Samantha,

Since it's Saturday, is there another vet that's open? It would be nice
to at least ask a vet about it.

Hope everything turns out well, and let us know,

Rhonda