Shutting Down?

Old October 20th 04, 05:22 AM
bluemaxx

I can feel your pain when you write of missing the cats. I feed 2,
sometimes 3, feral cats that come to my backyard deck. I know how
worried I get if they don't show up on time or if they miss coming for a
day or two.

But I'm glad that one of your old timers met up with you last night.
You did and still are making a difference, even if it's only for that
one old timer, bearclaw. Prayers for better health and sound sleep are
winging their way to you.

wrote in message
: To avoid any more kitten-dumping, I'd rather not say specifically. But
: generally, the colony in question is in the south San Francisco bay
: area. Last night, for the first time in weeks, one of my old timers
: came back and jumped right in the car window like he always does. He
: gorged on food and then, when he couldn't eat any more, he refused to
: leave. So, as tired and sick as I am, I sat there in the car with him.
:
: I wish he was this tame with everybody; he let me examine him all over
: with lots of kneading and purring. He'd be a breeze to place in a home
: if this was his usual personality. Unfortunately, he becomes
: aggressively feral when he's approached by others. He actually
: frightened clinic workers briefly when we had him fixed--one of them
: thought he was a bobcat. He's a huge cat, a horse really, with only a
: stub left from losing his tail in an engine compartment as a kitten
: (before I was able to trap him). He's lucky he wasn't killed that day.
: There's no fat on him, either (well, his belly *was* pretty round when
: he finally finished eating last night).
:
: With me he's docile as a kitten. I can pick him up and carry him
around
: as long as there's nothing to scare him. With the other cats, he's a
: coward. The feeding station will stay open as long as he is there.
:
: But, it took a long time to gain his trust. And he doesn't come around
: all the time. I have no such relationship with any of the cats eating
: there now. I can't gain their trust if I don't ever even see them.
:
: Yes, I have gone at weird times, like before sunrise.

---

Old October 20th 04, 05:51 AM

In article .net,
"Chris" wrote:

maybe go a few times on some weekends.

I guess I wasn't clear--I go twice each day, seven days a week. I
haven't missed a single day for something like ten years (except for
when the hospital wouldn't let me out).

Old October 20th 04, 03:36 PM
Chris

I did understand you go twice a day but I was thinking that maybe if its
quieter there on weekends, you could go at various times to see if any of
them are hanging out. Could you tell at all where last night's kitty came
from...

You know as you describe this kitty, it reminds me of one I have. He also
was a stray and was terrified of people and other cats if they were
aggressive towards him. But he was always very friendly with me, purring,
wouldn't eat unless he got petted. I brought him him las winter when it got
bitter cold here (NY) as the owner of the house under which he had taken to
sleeping boarded up all access and began chasing him away. Our first trip
to the vet was a disaster! He hissed, growled, tried to bite, got loose and
got himself wedged behind a bookcase, etc. I thought then that this was
never going to work... However, he has turned into the sweetest most
affectionate cat. He's still afraid of strangers but then my other 4 indoor
only cats are also--I think many indoor only cats are like that. I have
taken him to the vet several times after giving him a MILD tranquilizer vet
prescribed and we've had no problem. Actually, you have an advantage over
me--your cat lets you pick him up, mine still gets scared and jumps out of
my arms....

Anyway, I just thought you might consider placing him. Many many cats are
absolute terrors at the vet office but are sweethearts elsewhere... Just a
thought...

wrote in message

By the way, where are you located?

Old October 23rd 04, 07:54 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

bearclaw, I don't have any answers for you, but I am sure you have
done a wonderful job over the years, and I wish you the best, whatever
you decide in the future.

Ginger-lyn

Old October 24th 04, 09:32 AM
Raffles

Have you not thought of this?

maybe you don't get so many cats because the amount you have spayed,
neutered and rehomed to good people who look after their cats!

maybe all your hard work and effort is starting to show!

Perhaps its time to move home and start again! :-)

Raffles