making friends with a stray/homeless

Old December 16th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default making friends with a stray/homeless

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:33:52 +0000, mlbriggs
wrote:

This is a very interesting story. I can't help wonder what became of the
little mother. MLB

I still think about her from time to time. I *really* wonder why she
brought us her kittens - she could have just moved them a few feet to
someplace dry, but instead, she gave them to *humans*. I wonder if
somehow she knew something was going to happen to her, and soon.

--
T.E.D. )
Old December 29th 05, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Or you could make him an indoor feral; I have several mixed in with my tame
ones. As Sharon has said, you do have to keep him in a room with no hiding
places until he gets used to being out in the open. Once he gets used to
sunning himself by the window and eating in the middle of the floor with you
in the room you can "release" him into the rest of the house. I accidentally
left my sliding glass door wide open for an hour once and not one of my
indoor ferals bother to get up off the sofa and walk across the room to
freedom. They learn where it's warm, dry, and soft.

Hey, Ron! Glad to see you haven't come to your senses yet and are still
rescuing cats.

Yes, the house feral is a fine feline; Campus Cats has a number of them.
(As tended outdoor ferals age, we bring them inside for retirement.)

I gently disagree about housing the house-feral-in-training in a room with
no hiding place, though. The cat needs a roofed hidey hole, one we can
get to if needed. A simple cat cube does the trick. (We have one with
a removable top, which comes in handy from time to time.) A tame cat
companion is a help, too, in most cases. That is, if you don't mind
playing second fiddle to your own cat.

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats
Old January 2nd 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

It is not hard to understand why she brought you her kittens.
Cats can show amazing intelligence far beyond what we as humans expect from
them.
She was looking for a good home for her kittens and she found one.
Who can know why?
She and the kittens were very lucky to find someone like you.

Willee

Old January 2nd 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

in article ,
Sharon Talbert at
wrote on 12/29/05 4:16 PM:

[...]

I didn't describe that too well. I agree that a new indoor feral needs
"roofed hidey holes". What's bad is places where I can't get to them or even
find them. A bed is the worst. I reach under one side but they just scoot
out the other, when I switch sides, they just run under the bed to the other
side.

Would cat carriers make good hiding places? You could put a cat bed in them
(my cats love cat beds), and they might not feel so traumitized when they
got locked in and carted to the vet.

--
Ron Herfurth
Charlottesville, VA

Old January 4th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Heh. When I look under my bed (in the House of Many Cats), I see a row of
shining eyes...

A carrier sometimes serves as a hidey hole. We often cage cats/kittens in
dog-sized carriers/crates to start them off, then put the crate on the
floor of the foster room and remove the door.

Sharon
Campus Cats

I didn't describe that too well. I agree that a new indoor feral needs
"roofed hidey holes". What's bad is places where I can't get to them or even
find them. A bed is the worst. I reach under one side but they just scoot
out the other, when I switch sides, they just run under the bed to the other
side.

Would cat carriers make good hiding places? You could put a cat bed in them
(my cats love cat beds), and they might not feel so traumitized when they
got locked in and carted to the vet.

--
Ron Herfurth
Charlottesville, VA

"Making Arrangements" for Cats CatNipped Cat anecdotes 70 October 3rd 04 12:37 AM
Visiting your friends cats O J Cat anecdotes 17 September 29th 04 04:41 PM
Visiting your friends cats O J Cat anecdotes 3 September 14th 04 03:10 PM
Best Friends - OT O J Cat anecdotes 33 September 12th 04 09:03 PM
Thanks a bunch, my rpca friends................ BlueBird Cat anecdotes 6 January 12th 04 11:45 PM