Crazy and odd pet laws

Old February 10th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Crazy and odd pet laws

"Bastette" wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

Brilliant.

I must look up our laws in the UK.

I'll bet a lot of countries have weird laws like this. I don't think
all of the ones that were listed in Matthew's post were from the US.
Where's "Reggio Emilia"? Sounds like Italy. Plus there were a couple
that had different currencies, but I'm not sure what they were because
my email s/w doesn't support whatever encoding was used for the currency
symbol.

Not quite the same as laws, but the deeds on my house tell me that I must
not "be a tallow candle maker, fellmonger, or manure merchant by way of
business"
But there's good new on the deeds too. I can keep pigs, providing they are
75 yards from the road, which would not be a problem, as my garden is 156
yards long.
It's something to think about, eh, if my new neighbours upset me much more?!
Tweed

Old February 10th 12, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:55:52 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

Reed City, MI
If you own a cat, you may not have a pet bird. There's a $25 fine for the
offense.

Cetainly you won't have a pet bird for long.

Although I do know someone with a cat and a bird. I think the bird has
gotten used to it but it probably took some time.

It is not something I would do. Imagine being that bird in a cage and
seeing a cat staring in, it would be like myself having a tiger poised to
get me.
I think it's cruel to have prey species and their predator in the same house
so they can see each other.

Old February 10th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

What's a fellmonger? I've never heard that word before.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old February 10th 12, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellmonger

Old February 10th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message
wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

It's strange that just those specific things were listed rather than
just a general "no commercial activities" clause. Here in the states we
have either "zoning" laws or a "home owners association" that restricts
what type of properties are allowed in a certain area. Of the two I'd
rather have the zoning laws, but unfortunately we have an HOA which not
only charges you fees but tells you such things like how high a fence
you can build on the property.

Old February 10th 12, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 03:06:33 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
It is not something I would do. Imagine being that bird in a cage and
seeing a cat staring in, it would be like myself having a tiger poised to
get me.
I think it's cruel to have prey species and their predator in the same house
so they can see each other.

After seeing the menageries here, I've given up trying to guess what
inter-species pairings work or don't work.
Old February 10th 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

All these houses were built as smallholdings so the deeds just told you not
to stink the place out..and that is all the restrictions I have.
As I said, if my neighbours get even more annoying, I can feel a couple of
pigs coming on. Plenty of room for them.
Tweed

Old February 10th 12, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

LOL! Yep, that might work. Are any of your chickens cocks? Do they
"announce the morning"? We used to keep chickens when I was a child and
I remember them crowing quite some while before the sun actually rose.
There was no need for an alarm clock, we were up and ready for school on
time every day. If they're former city dwellers that may be quite
annoying to them as well. ;

Old February 10th 12, 08:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

Reed City, MI
If you own a cat, you may not have a pet bird. There's a $25 fine for the
offense.

Cetainly you won't have a pet bird for long.

Although I do know someone with a cat and a bird. I think the bird has
gotten used to it but it probably took some time.

It is not something I would do. Imagine being that bird in a cage and
seeing a cat staring in, it would be like myself having a tiger poised to
get me.
I think it's cruel to have prey species and their predator in the same house
so they can see each other.

Years ago someone used to post here who had two birds (lovebirds, I think)
in a cage, and a couple of cats roaming freely around. Those cats were
always looking for a way to get to those birds. They were determined. One
time she came home to find the cage toppled over and the cage door open.
The birds were up high someplace and hadn't been hurt, but it was a close
one. Still, she continued to allow the cats in the same room as the cage!
Eventually, one of the birds died of fright. And then, *finally*, she moved
the cage into a separate room where the cats couldn't get in. But that poor
bird died soon after - probably of grief and loneliness. This must have
been at least a decade ago, but I'm still mad about it! I was just imagining
what it would be like to be locked in an unstable cage with a couple of
slavering lions down below, and plenty of ways for them to get to me. I'd
probably die of fright, too.

--
Joyce

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old February 10th 12, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

the deeds on my house tell me that I must not "be a tallow candle
maker, fellmonger, or manure merchant by way of business"
What's a fellmonger? I've never heard that word before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellmonger

It's strange that just those specific things were listed rather than
just a general "no commercial activities" clause.

Those are all EXTREMELY SMELLY lines of business.

Candlemaking was banned in the centre of Edinburgh about 300 years ago
and stayed banned, for very good reason - it's an extreme fire hazard.

We're in a mining village and the deeds on our house only exclude one
thing - operating a stationary engine. I can't imagine why - surely
nobody would have tried opening a mineshaft in their garden?

We Have New Laws To Protect Animals in UK/Animal Welfare Laws sheelagh Cat health & behaviour 4 April 11th 07 02:35 PM
Laws of cat physics Joy Cat anecdotes 1 September 23rd 06 11:20 PM
Laws of Physics Julie and Sam Cat anecdotes 4 September 21st 06 05:10 AM
OT Mother in laws look out Matthew Cat anecdotes 2 July 26th 06 06:47 AM
OT Unavoidable Laws Matthew Cat anecdotes 2 June 14th 06 07:59 PM