furball needs a home

Old September 7th 03, 02:17 AM
Userjudy36

Default furball needs a home

I have to move and can not bring him with me.Furball willbe 8 years on Jan
17,2004.he is neutered and loves attention .I am afraid to bring him to a
shelter, even though they claim they are a no kill .how will i know if he
got a good home.

please let me know if you can help,even advice is helpful
Old September 7th 03, 04:42 AM
Cat Protector

I have to ask why you can't bring him with you? It really upsets me that
people move and decide that their cat is nothing more than the equivelant of
a beer can to be tossed out. I really believe people should not have any
animal unless they are willing to care for them for the rest of their lives.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old September 7th 03, 01:54 PM
whayface

I have to agree with you. Would he give his real children away if
where he was moving and they said he could not have any children?!?!
I think we all know the answer to that. To me my babies ARE my
children along with my 2 legged children. I no more would "DUMP" my
furbabies then I would my real children.

Old September 7th 03, 05:57 PM
Kalyahna

"whayface" wrote in message

I have to agree with you. Would he give his real children away if
where he was moving and they said he could not have any children?!?!
I think we all know the answer to that. To me my babies ARE my
children along with my 2 legged children. I no more would "DUMP" my
furbabies then I would my real children.

I have to ask why you can't bring him with you? It really upsets me that
people move and decide that their cat is nothing more than the equivelant

of
a beer can to be tossed out. I really believe people should not have any
animal unless they are willing to care for them for the rest of their

lives.

I read an interesting article about a month ago in a recent issue of the
ASPCA magazine, for shelters dealing with surrenders. The question it asked
that really stuck with me is simple, and you might want to consider it for
yourselves. Would you rather an animal remain in a home where it is
unwanted, possibly neglected because of that, or in a shelter where it has a
chance to find a new, loving home?

Old September 7th 03, 08:12 PM
Cat Protector

Well, obviously the OP can't handle having a cat. They had a choice here and
they decided to move into a place that doesn't allow cats (one of the number
one excuses people have for geting rid of an animal). This person also said
they are afraid to bring this cat to a shelter for the fear they may not
receive a good home. A no-kill shelter may be the route to go here however I
still have to wonder why the human chose to move to a place that will not
allow cats? If you can't handle the responsibility of having a cat then you
should not get one in the first place. A cat is living, breathing creature
not a beer can to be tossed out later.

Old September 8th 03, 01:50 AM
whayface

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:57:17 -0500, "Kalyahna"
wrote:

[...]

Most shelter around here keep them for an average of a week WHEN THEY
TAKE THEM. Usually they have so many cats / kittens that they will
not even take more !!

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Old September 8th 03, 02:05 AM
MaryL

wrote:

[...]

Our shelter never rejects a cat -- but that often means that the cat will be
euthanized in just a few days because there are far more cats (and dogs)
than homes. Therefore, the question of placing a cat in a shelter where it
has a chance for a loving home is often pure fantasy; it sounds good, but
the chances are pretty remote.

MaryL

Old September 9th 03, 02:32 PM
Kalyahna

Our shelter never rejects a cat -- but that often means that the cat will
be
euthanized in just a few days because there are far more cats (and dogs)
than homes. Therefore, the question of placing a cat in a shelter where

it
has a chance for a loving home is often pure fantasy; it sounds good, but
the chances are pretty remote.

Frankly, I'm glad to see that so many people are pushing for people to adopt
shelter cats.
However, it's aggravating to see just as many (and some of the same) people
repeatedly saying that it's nigh-impossible for an animal to find a good
home through those same shelters. They'll be euthanized, or some other
animal will be euthanized to make room for them. Those situations do happen,
but do any of you really think that the people doing the euthanasia enjoy it
or that the shelter doesn't do everything it can to see that the ONLY
animals euthanized are terribly sick or terribly aggressive?

Old September 9th 03, 03:39 PM
MaryL

[...]

I adopted Duffy through a shelter, and I do strongly recommend that other
people adopt their pets through shelters. I did not say that the people
doing the euthanasia "enjoy" it or that shelter workers do not do their best
for the animals under their care. I am a strong advocate for shelters and
at one time did volunteer inspection of our shelter for the local Humane
Society. I was impressed by the degree of affection and even love that I
saw there; I could see real pain when I was shown the room for euthanasia
and discussed the process with the shelter director. So, nothing in my
message should be construed as derogatory comments against shelter staff.
In fact, my blind cat Duffy was kept in a shelter for several months -- the
personnel there obviously were doing everything in their abilities to avoid
euthanizing him, but that was probably going to come to an end with kitten
season approaching. I was actually responding to this quotation: "Would
you rather an animal remain in a home where it is unwanted, possibly
neglected because of that, or in a shelter where it has a chance to find a
new, loving home?" The point of my message (which I did not make clear) is
that many people think they can dump a cat in a shelter and that it will
find "a new, loving home" when the facts are that shelters receive so many
more cats than they can possibly place in homes that they fact the tragic
(and unavoidable) decision to euthanize the majority of these beautiful
animals.

MaryL

Old September 9th 03, 06:44 PM
Mary

Those situations do happen,
but do any of you really think that the people doing the euthanasia enjoy it
or that the shelter doesn't do everything it can to see that the ONLY
animals euthanized are terribly sick or terribly aggressive?

The shelter employees do not enjoy it. Euthanasia duty pays a lot more than
regular duty and you're only allowed to do it so many months at a time because
of the psychological stress. The shelter employees generally do everything they
can to place an animal. I walk in there and they are talking up all the dogs,
especially sweet dogs near the end of the alloted time. They offer to foster
kittens at home. Most of the employees at Los Angeles city shelters are great
and truly love animals. The problem is just really big and multi-faceted.
Everyone is trying to work on it to make LA no-kill. We'll see how it goes.