Umbrage

Old October 4th 03, 09:18 PM

Default Umbrage

Everyone at work knows I am the one who feeds the cats on the grounds.
It's practically a joke. I spend about $300/month on food and supplies
for these animals. I have, with the help of others NOT in my workplace,
spent close to $2000 trapping, testing, vaccinating, altering and
releasing these ferals back to their environment. Only one of my
coworkers has ever offered any assistance at all, which was okay with me
until yesterday.

Yesterday (my day off), I got a call at home from a coworker who
informed me that she had met and handled a small kitten in the parking
lot. I went and rescued the kitten, which was concealed in some
landscaping bushes. Found no other cats in the area; the kitten is now
being fostered at my home.

While searching for the kitten, I found a well-established, exposed
feeding center, complete with two plastic picnic dishes piled high with
kibble and a cut gallon jug of water. Without going into tiresome
detail, this setup is the same exact one I found almost two years ago in
another area on the same grounds. At that time, whoever it was caused a
HUGE upset at work (because of their poor planning and execution, and
the resulting unhygienic conditions, I almost lost management's
endorsement to feed the cats at my feeding station). This new station is
somewhat better, but it is still placed for the convenience of the
feeder, not for the safety of the cats. It is still in a place that
could cause trouble.

While I am ecstatic that someone at work seems to care about these
animals, I am nettled and vexed that they don't see fit to collaborate
or consult with me, or even simply inform me about it. I have been
caring for the cats in this area for more than ten years. Recently, at
least five of my regulars haven't shown up for more than a week. I'm
cranky about that to begin with. Now I find that someone else has been
feeding. Could that be why I haven't seen my guys? Could this new
feeding station be the reason for the sudden influx of newcomers?

How the heck can I keep track of the ferals in this area if someone is
feeding them on the sly? How can I budget for them? It just irritates me
no end that they wouldn't contact me about this. I know that there are
others feeding ferals at nearby facilities. There are probably 4 or 5
within a 1 mile radius. We all know each other; I'm in touch with them.
But not with the mystery feeder at my own workplace.

Just a rant, I guess. Has anyone else run into a situation like this?
How did you handle it?
Old October 5th 03, 12:18 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:18:50 GMT, lid wrote:

[...]

Post or circulate a nice notice saying their help is so appreciated
that you would like a meeting to coordinate your efforts. Who knows,
maybe it will work. MLB
Old October 5th 03, 12:43 AM
MaryL

wrote in message
[...]

How large is the company/organization where you work? If feasible, why not
send e-mail to co-workers, or possibly post a message on bulletin boards (or
even circulate notices by placing them in mail boxes). THANK the person who
established the feeding station for their interest in the welfare of ferals
but express your concern about sanitation and location. Invite the person
responsible to contact you so that you can possibly "join forces" providing
for the welfare of these cats.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old October 5th 03, 02:43 AM
Mary

Just a rant, I guess. Has anyone else run into a situation like this?
How did you handle it?

Put a note on the feeding station. Ask whoever is feeding to contact you to
coordinate efforts in order to better help the animals and protect them from
any adverse actions from others.
Old October 5th 03, 05:21 AM
MaryL

"Mary" wrote in message
Just a rant, I guess. Has anyone else run into a situation like this?
How did you handle it?

Put a note on the feeding station. Ask whoever is feeding to contact you

coordinate efforts in order to better help the animals and protect them

from
any adverse actions from others.

Oh, good idea. So sensible ... much better than my suggestion, which
involved sending e-mail, flyers, etc. Instead, you went right to the
"source." Great!

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 5th 03, 10:19 PM
frlpwr

lid wrote:

(snip)

Just a rant, I guess. Has anyone else run into a situation like this?
How did you handle it?

Leave a note asking them to contact you. Tell them it is important to
coordinate feeding and trapping efforts so property managers do not
withdraw their support of the project.

It is a delicate situation since, as you said, you don't want to
discourage others from caring about and for the cats. It would be good
for you and your budget if you and the other feeder(s) could alternate
feeding days and share vet bills.

I had a similar problem, I hope not identical, at one of my more visible
colonies. At first, I was pleased that someone else was taking an
interest in the cats even if the low quality food they provided was
messy and uneaten. I left notes, all unanswered.

I soon learned the real reason this person took up feeding chores...they
dumped seven old, tame, unneutered tomcats and four ferals at the
site!!! Three hernia operations, one lifelong insulin regimen, seven
neuter jobs and special renal diets for all later, the seven tomcats are
permanently installed in my downstairs "catroom". The four ferals have
been trapped, tested, vaccinated, de-felared, de-wormed and spayed. (It
really bugs me that these four females must have been trapped and
transported to the location _without_ being spayed! In my area, free
services for feral cats are available.)

Even worse, the presence of these new cats caused a few of the resident
cats to leave the area for several weeks. I was in a panic! One young
female never did return.

I finally went to my local animal control agency and purchased two of
their signs warning animal abandonment is a criminal act subject to
fine. Well, whoever dumped the cats doesn't feed anymore. I just pray
they don't decide to "clean house" again and dump their "garbage" in my
colony. Poor cats, they live and die at the whim of whoever feels like
picking them up and throwing them away.

Old October 12th 03, 02:26 AM
Mary

Then it
occurred to me that I could consider this a "donation" and just use it
at my old feeding station. I could sweep it up every day and really save
substantial money. Of course, that wouldn't be very honest, now would it?

Hmm, if you take it, she will think kitties are eating it and feel good and
bring more. You will then be giving it to kitties who will be eating it in a
safer place. You will feel good. I'd do it. It's not like you're taking it and
eating it yourself ;-)