Umbrage

Old October 12th 03, 08:40 PM

Anyway, I caught two more kittens last
night after the tuna fish mystery. But I was
too late. They are *very* feral, extremely
aggressive and fearful, so socializing
them probably won't be possible.

That's not true at all, especially since these are kittens. Most of the
behavior you are seeing is fear based. I have a cat that I caught as a
feral kitten. He tore my hand up and I had to seek medical attention.
Yet in a week he was a total sweetheart.

We have no open foster homes left,
anyway. Our only hope is if we can get
them an early appointment for TTVAR. I
won't re-release if they are unaltered. I
can't in good conscience do that, so it
seems there is only one other alternative
left to me.

And what would that be? Killing them?
That would be wrong.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 12th 03, 10:21 PM

In article ,
wrote:

That's not true at all, especially since these are kittens. Most of
the behavior you are seeing is fear based. I have a cat that I caught
as a feral kitten. He tore my hand up and I had to seek medical
attention. Yet in a week he was a total sweetheart.

Megan, I understand that. But to accomplish that, you need someone who
cares enough to provide the resources and time. We have neither. We are
already nursing/fostering smaller kittens (who were also dumped at my
workplace) who are going to make great pets--we have already placed one
when she's ready to be adopted out. I have gone to great lengths to
find people who would take these newly-trapped guys into their homes,
to no avail. The few who expressed any interest at all flaked off and
are now avoiding me.

I'm in despair. All my regulars have disappeared since the introduction
of the new cats. By itself, that tears me up, but I cannot allow this
colony to grow unregulated. The results would be hellish. Three years
after I began caring for the colony here, I was given a subtle
ultimatum by the management of the facility: either I take
responsibility for these animals, or they would accept the contract
exterminator's offer to "take of the cat problem". The colony has been
my second full time job ever since, albeit unpaid, no vacation and no
sick time. Benefits offered nowhere else, however!

For years I've maintained it hygienically; disease-free,
population-stable and a tidy, sheltered, out-of-the-way feeding area.
The cats have come to belong to everyone, as evidenced by the number of
feeders these guys have. Most employees know each individual cat's
story; some even remember them as kittens. Co-workers and complete
strangers alike have given me the highest compliment: "...they (the
cats) look so happy!" I've heard this more than once; to me it means
I've provided the animals with a real home.

This is my first experience with human scum dumping kittens on me. I
still have the queens to trap (hopefully, they will be adoptable).
We've taken on all we can by ourselves. Maybe more than we should have:
our rental is being sold and we're desperately trying to find new digs
we can afford, one which will accomodate our pets and fosters. It's a
daunting task.
Old October 14th 03, 09:16 PM
Sharon Talbert

Am I missing something here? After all this fuss to catch colony kittens,
they are at risk to be euthanized because they are "unadoptable?"

Some of the fiercest little hissyfits I've ever caught have turned out to
be the most loving laphogs.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org