Suggestions About Rescue Situation...Please

Old October 17th 03, 02:19 PM
Cheryl

"Mary" wrote in message
I will disagree with your statement that it's cheap to provide
the meds. No, it's not. To test and provide vaccinations can be more than
$100.
That's not cheap.

I thought you were just talking vaccines i.e. meds. There are vaccine

clinics
here who do it for $7 or you can buy vaccines yourself from
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ They also sell some FLV, FIV test kits and

other
things at reduced prices.

That is handy to know. I just checked on the FeLV test kit (25 tests for US
$179) and they told me the kits you would order from their current stock
have an expiration date of Nov 2004. I may have to think about this, it
could save some money!

Old October 21st 03, 12:48 PM
Joe Pitt

The problem with the test kits is that YOU need to draw the blood. My rescue
group tried it and only one member can draw the blood and she is a vet tech.
We did find a vet that gives us a great price on the FIV/FeLV test, about
the same as buying the kits ourselves. As for vaccines, they are easy to
give. Some cats require one to hold and one to vaccinate, others I can do
myself.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

"Cheryl" wrote in message
s.com...

Old October 23rd 03, 12:33 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Joe Pitt composed with style:
The problem with the test kits is that YOU need to draw the blood.
My rescue group tried it and only one member can draw the blood and
she is a vet tech. We did find a vet that gives us a great price on
the FIV/FeLV test, about the same as buying the kits ourselves. As
for vaccines, they are easy to give. Some cats require one to hold
and one to vaccinate, others I can do myself.

Thanks for the info Joe. The kit said you can test saliva or blood; I
suppose it isn't as accurate tesing saliva?

Old October 23rd 03, 12:32 PM
Joe Pitt

Haven't seen that one. The kit our group got requires blood, as does the
test the vet does.