Kittens with tremors - Long Story

Old June 11th 04, 05:42 AM
Rhonda

Default Kittens with tremors - Long Story

Sharon told me about this newsgroup, so I thought I'd post our situation.

We took in a stray cat who turned out to be very pregnant. She delivered
5 live babies, and 1 that was not born alive.

I noticed one kitten seemed less coordinated or weaker than the others
at 2 weeks old. From then on, I made sure he got some uninterrupted
meals (he was always getting knocked off the nipple) and tried my best
to help him. He was about 2/3rds the size of the others.

At age 5 weeks, he developed tremors. His little head would bob around
at times. He became more lethargic, had some trouble walking, but would
try to play now and then. He slept more than the others and missed
meals. I was constantly waking him up and hauling him over to mom.

The vet could not diagnose what was wrong, said it could be many things
-- viral, cerebellum development problems, organ problems, and we
started him on antibiotics in case of infection.

At 7 weeks, we lost him (2 days ago.) He was completely lethargic and
not trying to eat. Vet said he'd have to have IV's, sub-q, and more to
get him to last the night to try to get test results. She did not give
him a good outlook so we made the decision to let him go.

Necropsy showed abnormal liver, but that could have been from lack of
nutrition. It did show grossly enlarged and pale kidneys. The vet
suspects it was viral or congenital. Could even be FIP. We are waiting
for tissue sample results early next week.

The mom-cat has tremors when she leans down to eat. You can't see it,
but I can feel it down her back. I've read that these are "intention
tremors." I have noticed those tremors on 2 of the remaining kittens.

Today, one of those kittens developed visible tremors. You could see her
little head shaking, and her foot shook when elevated. I have left a
message for the vet, but ohmigawd. I cannot take another heartbreak. She
also has sneezed a couple of times today, but no discharge. I don't know
if her immune system could be weakening and she's catching things that
are contagious.

Any ideas? Are these classic symptoms of FIP in kittens? What can I do
to help these guys? Anyone else have cats with "intention tremors," and
can they be harmless?

Thanks for making it to the end...

Rhonda (Sleepless and Worried in Seattle)

Old June 11th 04, 09:36 AM
Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi

Kittens with tremors - Long Story

Group: rec.pets.cats.rescue Date: Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 4:42am (EDT+4)
From: (Rhonda)
[...]

Sorry to hear that. I got a feeling though that what ever those kittens
got they got it from their mother. I remember I was interested in this
puppy but it was too young to leave the mother but I notice how one of
the other puppies kept sneezing.Well what happened was that the mother
dog caught a virus or distemper probably from the male dog that got her
pregnant & the puppies & her had to be put down.None could be saved. Not
good news I know I just want you to get prepared for the worst. If by
chance at least the mother cat survives are you going to keep her?
Because if she does have FIP or some other cat disease? She can't be
around other cats.She would have to get fixed & kept inside. See that's
what happens when morons don't get their pets fixed & lets them roam
around. It's the poor animals that suffer. For all we know the male cat
was sick when he got her pregnant & when the kittens were born & started
nursing off her they caught it.Surprise that one that you tried to save
lived as long as it did.But what what price? It seems that all those
cats are sick including the mother.She can not be with any more cats.Do
you have any cats of your own?

Old June 11th 04, 09:36 AM

Old June 11th 04, 10:35 AM
Luvskats00

My heart breaks for you! Bless you for trying to do your best for mom cat &
the kittens!
Old June 11th 04, 10:35 AM
Luvskats00

Old June 11th 04, 04:36 PM
Rhonda

We do have other cats, but the new cat family is isolated from them.

We have to nail down what is causing this -- whether it is congenital or
viral before we jump to any conclusions. I know there is something
called cerebellum hypoplasia (probably murdered that spelling) that
causes tremors, and is not contagious. It is inherited. I was hoping
that's what the little boy had, but his was something more -- or since
he was always smaller he caught something that the others did not.
Someone else said kitties with CH can develop other medical problems.

We will make sure what this is before we do any cat introductions or
kitten adoptions.

By the way, the little girl who had tremors last night, shows no signs
today and is madly tearing up the room. I have my fingers crossed and am
waiting for a call from the vet.

Rhonda

Old June 11th 04, 04:39 PM
Rhonda

Thank you! I just want all of them to have long, lazy cat lives.

Rhonda