Kitten severed nipple in half! won't deficate.

Old November 11th 04, 04:01 AM
Tony

Default Kitten severed nipple in half! won't deficate.

First, the info:
Male 4-5 weeks old Found in good condition/health after mother cat
died.
A vet's visit revealed no apparent blockage in the intestine, and
teeth development which indicated age to be 4-5 weeks, although the
kitten is smaller than average for that age.

We have had our new kitten for close to four days now. In that
time, I have not been able to get it to defecate. On the first day of
its rescue, it was in my mother-in-law's custody. She claims that she
saw a small brown smudge in the basket she was keeping it in. She
cleaned the basket out and I did not see the substance so I do not
know how much was there.

When we first got the cat, he was very active and energetic. I
did have some trouble with feeding though. After trying soft kitten
food, and kitten food mixed with Heartz MRF (milk replacement formula,
we began bottle feeding just MRF. The kitten appeared to have a hard
time getting the formula out for those first few days. He was biting
the nipple hard and out of breath. Eventually, through a combination
of making the hole larger and applying more pressure on the bottle, I
was able to get the kitten to latch on and suck without biting. (His
ears "bobbed" up and down, indicating correct flow) Today, my wife was
feeding the kitten. She appeared to be doing it correctly, but the
kitten was biting the nipple. I came over to help apply pressure when
the kitten bit the nipple completely off of the bottle (he didn't
swallow it). I'm assuming this means that the kitten is ready for
solid food.

Over the course of the past four days, the kitten has become
progressively less active. Assuming that the vet's office is open
tomorrow (Veteran's day), I will take the kitten back for some stool
softener and I will ask about the nipple and how to encourage the
kitten to progress to solid foods. However, I would appreciate some
more info, even if the vet's office will be open. So...

1. Why would a kitten completely bite off a nipple?
2. What else can I do to encourage him to eat solid foods?
3. Beside stimulating the kitten's privates, how else can I encourage
defication?
4. Any other tips?

Thanx.

DO NOT REPLY TO . IT IS NOT MY REAL EMAIL. IT IS
BEST TO REPLY TO THE GROUP ANYWAY.

[adult swim]

Thanx
»Tony
Old November 11th 04, 04:14 AM
KellyH

"Tony" wrote in message
om...
First, the info:
Male 4-5 weeks old Found in good condition/health after mother cat
died.
A vet's visit revealed no apparent blockage in the intestine, and
teeth development which indicated age to be 4-5 weeks, although the
kitten is smaller than average for that age.

snip

Over the course of the past four days, the kitten has become
progressively less active. Assuming that the vet's office is open
tomorrow (Veteran's day), I will take the kitten back for some stool
softener and I will ask about the nipple and how to encourage the
kitten to progress to solid foods. However, I would appreciate some
more info, even if the vet's office will be open. So...

1. Why would a kitten completely bite off a nipple?

I don't know. Could be that he was frustrated with the bottle.

2. What else can I do to encourage him to eat solid foods?

Try mixing some formula in with canned kitten food, making a soft mixture.
The kittens I've had around that age love it. You can gradually decrease
the formula until he is used to the food.

3. Beside stimulating the kitten's privates, how else can I encourage
defication?

Make sure you are doing this correctly. Take a cotton ball moistened with
warm water and gently stroke his butt. He may not know to go in the
litterbox, so place him in it soon after eating. If it's been four days,
however, PLEASE take him to the vet tomorrow! I can't imagine all the vet
offices will be closed for Veteran's Day. Kittens can go downhill very
quickly, and you say he's gotten less active. NOT a good sign! Keep a
close eye on him tonight and take him in first thing tomorrow.

4. Any other tips?

Also make sure he is warm enough, but not hot.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 11th 04, 12:14 PM
Wendy

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

The vet is a good idea,

1st thing is to get the kitten lapping out of a bowl. You can put some of
the kitten formula in a bowl. Dip your finger in the formula and see if you
can get the kitten to lick it off your finger. If he'll do that keep dipping
your finger into the formula and gradually lower the finger toward the bowl
while he's licking. The point is to lure him to the bowl and then have him
discover there is much more food there and to try lapping it up.

Once you get him drinking the formula out of the bowl do as others have said
and start mixing in canned kitten food. If he doesn't take to that right off
try mixing the formula to a thicker consistency then try mixing with food.

As far as the lack of bowel movement, if he hasn't been eating much there
won't be anything much to poop. The lethargy could be from his not
eating/drinking more than from being constipated.

Old November 11th 04, 07:00 PM
Tony

Sucess!

First, I would like to thank everyone for their help.

I have gotten the kitten to lap formula out of a bowl. The next step
is to mix with kitten food. I know that you guuys have suggested soft
food, however the vet recomends hard. I'll expiriment with both. As
for the lethargy, last night Mr. Socks seemed to have come alive. I
have never seen a kitten so small so hyper before! It was like he got
a hold of some "kitty crack"! (you know, cat-nip) After another
attempt to get him to deficate, he produced some rather pugnent gas.
This tells me that either their is not enough solid waste in him to
pass any, or that he has a blockage that is not let solid matter
through. In either case, I am about to call the vet right now to find
out about stool softeners and such.

Old November 11th 04, 09:42 PM
Tony

Vet's visit very good.

After a small enima, the doctor discoverd that Mr. Sock's is not
constipated. I will attempt feeding him a mixture of formula and
kitten chow. Hopefully, he wil produce some poo!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Old November 11th 04, 10:28 PM
Mary

"Tony" wrote in message
om...
Vet's visit very good.

After a small enima, the doctor discoverd that Mr. Sock's is not
constipated. I will attempt feeding him a mixture of formula and
kitten chow. Hopefully, he wil produce some poo!

Hmm. I wonder if Mr. Socks pooed but you somehow missed
it?

stupid, stupid neighbor -L. : Cat health & behaviour 51 August 30th 04 05:21 AM
Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM