The Prodigious Roadcat

Old May 2nd 05, 06:13 AM
Dan M

Default The Prodigious Roadcat

Tonight was a busy night for Harri!

As I mentioned before, this is a slow weekend for us. Ran in from
Fernley, NV Saturday, arrived in Las Vegas at 2 PM, can't deliver until
Monday at 5 PM. Spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning at the
Pilot, but no kitty walk areas there. This morning we moved to the Petro
truckstop on Speedway Blvd, way up on the north end of town. There's
open desert all around this truck stop so we went for a decent kitten
walk about 8 PM.

Talk about a busy kitten! We got about 300 yards away from the truck
stop when Harri started darting from side to side, jumping in the air,
turning somersaults while jumping - it was quite a show! I figured she
was just having an attack of kittenitis, but then I saw that we were
surrounded by moths. Harri was very impressive with the leaps she
performed - I've never seen a cat do leaps like that, and never so many
leaps in such a short time. It only a few minutes before she was panting
and exhausted, so we resumed our walk.

There is a power substation next to the truck stop, surrounded by tall
cinderblock walls. We walked the base of that wall, and Harri struck
another goldmine - lizards! For her first find, we were walking along
enjoying the evening, when Harri pounced on a low bush. I shined the
flashlight on the bush to see what it was, and there was a little
lizard. Harri played with the lizard for the better part of 15 minutes
before she let it get away. She did have it firmly in paw a couple of
time, so I told her we'd count it as a kill. She was winded again after
the lizard pounces, so we set off along the wall again.

Not more than 20 feet further along, she found a second lizard. She
played with this one for about 5 minutes, then was startled when a 3rd
one darted out. She played with the two of them for several minutes,
then they both got away as well. I told her we would count all three of
the lizards.

I'm glad that we had a good flashlight with us. There was plenty of
light to walk by, since the lights from the truck stop cast a fair
amount of light on the desert floor and the big signboard at the
speedway cast lots of light, but it didn't provide enough to see fine
details. I make a point of shining my flashlight on anything Harri shows
an interest in, to make sure it's safe. That's why tonight I was able to
pull her away from a scorpion and 3 black widows. I hate those darned
things!

The walk itself was wonderful, even aside from the kitten antics. We're
maybe 3 miles from the north end of the Strip, and since it was dark it
was easy to see the lighted top of the Stratosphere, the spotlight atop
the Luxor, whatever that hotel is with the bright green lights - looking
at Las Vegas from a couple of miles out is actually much more beautiful
than looking at things from up close. The temperature was in the low
70s, there was a very gentle northeast breeze that became a brisk breeze
by the time we were done and is now rocking my trailer, and there were
just a few clouds in the sky. Overall it was a wonderful night.

Harri's score now: 2 mice, 3 lizards, 8 moths, 3 crickets, and a butterfly.
Old May 2nd 05, 09:28 AM
Treeline

"Dan M" wrote in message ...

Talk about a busy kitten! We got about 300 yards away from the truck
stop when Harri started darting from side to side, jumping in the air,
turning somersaults while jumping - it was quite a show! I figured she
was just having an attack of kittenitis, but then I saw that we were
surrounded by moths. Harri was very impressive with the leaps she
performed - I've never seen a cat do leaps like that, and never so many
leaps in such a short time. It only a few minutes before she was panting
and exhausted, so we resumed our walk.

If you can there is a wonderful book called Dancing With Cats. You see cats
leaping over the heads of their owners (I know, not PC for this NG) while in
tune with the music! Makes me want to teach my cat how to dance and flip and
leap straight up into the air with music!

I'm glad that we had a good flashlight with us. There was plenty of
light to walk by, since the lights from the truck stop cast a fair
amount of light on the desert floor and the big signboard at the
speedway cast lots of light, but it didn't provide enough to see fine
details. I make a point of shining my flashlight on anything Harri shows
an interest in, to make sure it's safe. That's why tonight I was able to
pull her away from a scorpion and 3 black widows. I hate those darned
things!

I know just how you feel. It's terrible what those females do to the males not
that I want to give the females any ideas they don't already have. A little sex
and they bite his head off.

Harri's score now: 2 mice, 3 lizards, 8 moths, 3 crickets, and a butterfly.

Not bad. Keeps her girlish figure. Crickets though taste bad to my cat. Do you
always keep her on the leash now that she free to go wherever with the leash?
I'm a little concerned that if I take my cat to unchartered places on a leash,
then I cannot keep her off the leash now since she will feel more secure now
going almost anywhere. Right now, I can just let her out and she sticks around
and comes back in after an hour or so. Once I intercepted her before she was
about to take off across the road at night. She never did that again but I
would be crossing that road often if we do some serious leash walking again. So
I am conflicted on this.

Old May 2nd 05, 03:25 PM
Dan M

Not bad. Keeps her girlish figure. Crickets though taste bad to my cat. Do you
always keep her on the leash now that she free to go wherever with the leash?
I'm a little concerned that if I take my cat to unchartered places on a leash,
then I cannot keep her off the leash now since she will feel more secure now
going almost anywhere. Right now, I can just let her out and she sticks around
and comes back in after an hour or so. Once I intercepted her before she was
about to take off across the road at night. She never did that again but I
would be crossing that road often if we do some serious leash walking again. So
I am conflicted on this.

I still keep her on-leash for all our walks. Our neighborhood at home is
cat-unfriendly, so none of our cats will ever be given outdoor freedom
without either a leash or a secure fence. Our little back yard is fenced
in such a way that none of our kitties can get out, so they all get to
enjoy unencumbered outdoor freedom. But they'll never be able to run
free. Way too many big dogs (many running loose) and speeding cars.

Old May 2nd 05, 09:35 PM
CatNipped

"Dan M" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! She's becoming quite the little huntress! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 2nd 05, 10:41 PM
polonca12000

I'm so glad Harri and you had such a great walk (and safe, thanks to the
flashlight).
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Dan M" wrote in message
Tonight was a busy night for Harri!

As I mentioned before, this is a slow weekend for us. Ran in from
Fernley, NV Saturday, arrived in Las Vegas at 2 PM, can't deliver until
Monday at 5 PM. Spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning at the
Pilot, but no kitty walk areas there. This morning we moved to the Petro
truckstop on Speedway Blvd, way up on the north end of town. There's
open desert all around this truck stop so we went for a decent kitten
walk about 8 PM.

snip