Crosspost--stray outside cat question

Old June 19th 05, 02:58 PM
MauiJNP

Default Crosspost--stray outside cat question

Hello. I recently had a stray older kitten (definately not full grown, I am
not sure of age though) take up residence in my shed and my yard. I have
never owned a cat, much less an outside one. If it turns that no one is
missing her (flyers are out) then she might be able to stay here (depending
on how the dog acts with her here and how she acts with him). However, I am
not sure to what extent do outside cats need care and attention? Do I buy
food, put out water, a bed? Can she come and go as she pleases and be fine?
Basically, what do I do if she stays? Thanks.

Old June 19th 05, 03:08 PM
Gail

If you want to keep the cat as a pet, he/she needs to be neutered or spayed
(definitely). Also, provide fresh food, water, and shelter. The cat also
needs to be given shots for distemper, rabies, etc. by the vet.
Gail

Old June 19th 05, 03:17 PM
MauiJNP

If you want to keep the cat as a pet, he/she needs to be neutered or
spayed
(definitely). Also, provide fresh food, water, and shelter. The cat also
needs to be given shots for distemper, rabies, etc. by the vet.
Gail

thanks for the help. If it comes to all that, she will need a new home. is
all that really necessary?

Old June 19th 05, 04:10 PM
Alison

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
If you want to keep the cat as a pet, he/she needs to be neutered

or
spayed
(definitely). Also, provide fresh food, water, and shelter. The

cat also
needs to be given shots for distemper, rabies, etc. by the vet.
Gail

thanks for the help. If it comes to all that, she will need a new

home. is
all that really necessary?

Yes Absolutely , would you give a dog any less than this ?
I would also ring all the local shelters and vets and also have her
checked in case she's beenmicrochipped
Alison

Old June 19th 05, 06:04 PM
Ted Davis

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:17:30 -0400, "MauiJNP" wrote:

If you want to keep the cat as a pet, he/she needs to be neutered or

spayed
(definitely). Also, provide fresh food, water, and shelter. The cat also
needs to be given shots for distemper, rabies, etc. by the vet.
Gail

thanks for the help. If it comes to all that, she will need a new home. is
all that really necessary?

Spay/neuter is not really optional ... unless you actually want an
uncontrolled exponentially increasing population of cats (if the
kitten is female) or the stink, noise, and fighting that goes with
male cats.

The shots can be considered optional on the basis of calculated risk:
the less the probability of coming into contact with other cats, the
less likely that the cat will get one of the diseases. However, if
not neutered, such contact is certain. If you are very attached to
the cat so that a fatal disease would have a major impact on your
family, the shots are necessary; on the other hand, if the cat just
lives there and isn't important to you, then they the shots are less
important to you. There are also financial concerns: ideal is one
thing, affordable is another (I have a dozen cats and could never
afford the $1200+ a year it would cost to keep them vaccinated, but I
would id I could afford it because they are all pets, though some of
them aren't pets very often ... or even around all that often).

Flames to /dev/null

--
T.E.D. )
Old June 19th 05, 08:17 PM
MauiJNP

"Alison" wrote in message

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
If you want to keep the cat as a pet, he/she needs to be neutered

or
spayed
(definitely). Also, provide fresh food, water, and shelter. The

cat also
needs to be given shots for distemper, rabies, etc. by the vet.
Gail

thanks for the help. If it comes to all that, she will need a new

home. is
all that really necessary?

Yes Absolutely , would you give a dog any less than this ?
I would also ring all the local shelters and vets and also have her
checked in case she's beenmicrochipped
Alison

well, I am allergic to cats so she would never be an inside cat. I would
also never spend that much money on her to be an outside cat because she
could always run away on me. Hopefully someone will claim her, if not, I
hope I can find her a good home that will give her all the stuff I won't.
Here she can have food, water and a bed but that's it. I will check with
the local shelters and vets, thanks for the advice.

Old June 19th 05, 11:32 PM
MauiJNP

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
[...]

no other cats are around.

However, if
not neutered, such contact is certain. If you are very attached to
the cat so that a fatal disease would have a major impact on your
family, the shots are necessary; on the other hand, if the cat just
lives there and isn't important to you, then they the shots are less
important to you. There are also financial concerns: ideal is one
thing, affordable is another (I have a dozen cats and could never
afford the $1200+ a year it would cost to keep them vaccinated, but I
would id I could afford it because they are all pets, though some of
them aren't pets very often ... or even around all that often).

thanks for the input

Old June 20th 05, 03:24 PM
Chris

Your local shelter might sell you 'discount' spay/neuter certificate to use
at local vet; also applies for shots. Also, many vets give discount to
strays. As for there being no other cats around, if she goes into heat,
you'll see the other cats! She is clearly young enough to be adopted....

Old June 20th 05, 05:05 PM
MauiJNP

Your local shelter might sell you 'discount' spay/neuter certificate to
use
at local vet; also applies for shots. Also, many vets give discount to
strays.

thanks, I call my vet and see.

She is clearly young enough to be adopted....

that's what I was hoping.

Old June 21st 05, 12:35 PM
Wendy

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
Your local shelter might sell you 'discount' spay/neuter certificate to

use
at local vet; also applies for shots. Also, many vets give discount to
strays.

thanks, I call my vet and see.

She is clearly young enough to be adopted....

that's what I was hoping.

Go to Petfinder.com. Do a search for rescue groups/shelters in your area and
start doing some calling around. If nothing else get on a waiting list with
a rescue group and continue to feed and water the cat . They should be able
to advise you on low cost spay/neuter in your area.