Fleas!!! Need advice.

Old January 23rd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Fleas!!! Need advice.

Hello. I am in desperate need of advice to get rid of all these fleas.
Here's the story...

I live in the South and have been told by vets and vet techs that it is
impossible to get rid of the fleas here because they are sand fleas and are
flat. I have a dog who, of course, goes out side. We try not to leave her
out a long time so we can keep the fleas under control but it didn't work.
She got infested even though we flea shampoo her once a week, flea collar,
use the flea stuff that goes on the coat (down the back), and use a flea
spray on her that you rub in. We also do this for our cat who is indoors
only but of course got it all from the dog. We were so deperate that about a
month ago we bombed the house and gave the animals a pill called Capstar
which is suppose cause the fleas to start dying within a 1/2 hour and drop
off of the animal and honestly it did. We left the animals outside with the
pill still in effect while we vacuumed the furniture and floors and then
brought them in one at a time straight to the tub. We are still infested.
Any advice???? I'm going nuts!

Thank you in advance.
Old January 23rd 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cmp8679 wrote:
Hello. I am in desperate need of advice to get rid of all these fleas.
Here's the story...

I live in the South and have been told by vets and vet techs that it is
impossible to get rid of the fleas here because they are sand fleas and are
flat. I have a dog who, of course, goes out side. We try not to leave her
out a long time so we can keep the fleas under control but it didn't work.
She got infested even though we flea shampoo her once a week, flea collar,
use the flea stuff that goes on the coat (down the back), and use a flea
spray on her that you rub in. We also do this for our cat who is indoors
only but of course got it all from the dog.

Instead of putting all those poisons on your pets, why not try
something like diatomaceous earth (food grade only)? I would at least
lose the flea collar. They are really toxic. Anyway, good luck.
Here's some info on DE:

http://www.whitemountainnatural.com/fleasticks.html

"What is Diatomaceous Earth?
It is a non-toxic, safe substance made up from crushed fossils of
freshwater organisms and marine life. Crushed to a fine powder and
observed through a microscope, the particles resemble bits of broken
glass. Deadly to any insect and completely harmless to animals, fish,
fowl or food. Most insects have a waxy outer shell covering their
bodies, INSECT STOP scratches through this shell causing the insect to
dehydrate leading to eventual death."

http://www.hydromall.com/happy_grower16.html

Old January 24th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My advice would be several things:

1. Use oral medication such as Lufeneron (Program) and I would also
use a topical such as Advantage or Frontline. I would definitly
consult my veterinarian to insure you are getting the REAL medication
and not an OTC knock-off. Also, see your Veterinarian for appropriate
dosage for your pets. Your pets will need to be weighed. This is
important because if you are getting the correct product but at an
inaccurate dosage - it will not be effective. Get both pets weighed by
Vet.

2. Capstar is good but I think it only lasts a few days - you need
something that will give you -hopefully 3-4 weeks of protection.

3. With regards to Advantage and Frontline - I would suggest that you
alternate those every 30 days to insure your pets do not become
de-sensitized to these. In other words, use one this month and use the
other one next month. Use the frontline tube NOT the spray bottle.

4. It is possible that raccoons or other wildlife are adding fleas to
your yard so ask your Veterinarian about the safest treatments for your
yard that will not harm other animals or environment.

5. Lastly, you might be "over washing" your pets. Once you put the
advantage or frontline on your pet (the tube - ask your vet for
appropriate size tube) do not wash your pet as this washes off some of
the mediation. Those OTC counter collars are pretty useless and they
seem toxic to animal and you - don't use!

I would strongly recommend that you use the Veterinary products rather
than the stuff you can buy at a super-market because it is much more
effective.

Program - Advantage - Frontline ......They work, see your Vet - Capstar
is NOT long-term relief - only lasts a couple of days.

Old January 24th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"JJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

eucaliptus oil or dried leaves spread out thru the yard works wonders so
does a good professional pest control

5. Lastly, you might be "over washing" your pets. Once you put the
advantage or frontline on your pet (the tube - ask your vet for
appropriate size tube) do not wash your pet as this washes off some of
the mediation. Those OTC counter collars are pretty useless and they
seem toxic to animal and you - don't use!

I would strongly recommend that you use the Veterinary products rather
than the stuff you can buy at a super-market because it is much more
effective.

Program - Advantage - Frontline ......They work, see your Vet - Capstar
is NOT long-term relief - only lasts a couple of days.

I have links for discount prices for advantage and frontline

Also if you have a lot of stuff piled up or areas that have junk in them
these can harbor fleas you may need to have a complete cleaning of your area
from a pest company

Old January 24th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"JJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
My advice would be several things:

Program - Advantage - Frontline ......They work, see your Vet - Capstar
is NOT long-term relief - only lasts a couple of days.

I'll echo the emphasis on verterinary grade flea control. Capstar is
supposedly effective for only 24 hours. After 11 years of living in Florida,
one organic flea control that worked well was tobacco dust. Some of the
hardware stores carried it in 20 pound bags. You apply it on your lawn with
a broadcast spreader just like fertilizer. Fleas hate it. Only cost a few
dollars a bag.