Smudgie is Lost!

Old July 8th 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost!

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:41:53 +0100, "Sharon & Smudgie"
wrote:

Sending purrs that tonight will be the night for her return! MLB

Unfortunately not We have discovered though the local cats are coming
round about midnight and eating the few bits of ham outside the trap!
There were 4 practically lined up there waiting for some.

It's raining here today (Bedfordshire) and Smudgie hates the rain

Sharon

A little update .. the local newspaper have done a quarter page article on
Smudge with a pic and I have had one call already from a lady who is very
sure she saw her yesterday! This was down the other end of our estate where
we did our searching for her last night. The lady said said the cat looked
very bedraggled and was walking slowly and nervously. She is going to tell
all her neighbours to keep a lookout too, apparently there are lots of
people with cats in her street so it's possible Smudgie is finding food and
water there.

Oh, she is on the local news website too!
http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/lut-news...dge.6406701.jp

Now I'm hopeful again
Sharon

More prayers and purrs on the way that you will soon have your baby
back home where she belongs.

Old July 8th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Smudgie is Lost! - Trap Set

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:47:32 -0700 (PDT), Sherry
wrote:

On Jul 7, 3:47*pm, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Christina Websell

wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Tweed, do you guys have birds of prey over there? *Hawks, falcons,
etc.?

Yes, we do, but nothing big enough to take a cat, except the golden
eagle and I've never heard that they do, mainly because they are
quite rare and frequent very remote areas perhaps. *They will take
small lambs though.

Mainly, all our wildlife is pretty innocuous. Deer stags can be
dangerous to humans in the rutting season (October-ish) as they have
serious anger issues then ;-) but as they are not exactly all over
the place, they are fairly easy to avoid providing I don't go to
Bradgate Park at that time of year:

http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk/BradgateI.htm

Tweed

What a great place to live! *Granted you don't have the huge wilds we
have filled with predators and prey, but I'm not an outdoorsy type of
person (a bumble bee sting would be fatal).

I am a very outdoorsy sort of person. *Maybe your bumble bees are
different? Ours are very mild-mannered and gentle. They *can* sting but
rarely do. *They allow you to pick them up if you are careful when they
get trapped inside the house. *Unlike a honey bee, they can sting and
not die, so you'd think they'd do it all the time because they can, but
they don't. The only time I ever got stung by a bumble bee was donkeys
years ago when I felt a strange crawling sensation inside my blouse and
grabbed it through the cloth, not knowing what it was. It was entitled
to sting me then, I think! I love bumble bees, there are plenty in my
garden going about their peaceful business. *The idea of stinging me
would never occur to them.
Tweed

When I'm out gardening and bees come around I tell them I'm not going to
hurt them and ask them not to sting me. So far it's worked. The neighbours
probably think I'm odd but hey... so are they and we all get on very well.

Wasps, on the other hand, I get out of their way. One went up my skirt and
stung my backside many years ago.

Judith

--

One thing I've learned from keeping bees. I had a shirt that a friend
had

Sherry

I have carpenter bees. They don't have stingers and look like big
bumble bees. But, they have a nasty habit of eating my deck so I have
to kill them on sight. The cats are absolutely useless. They hang out
on the deck or elsewhere in the (fenced in) backyard, but refuse to
kill even one. Maybe they think they have a stinger?

Old July 8th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Smart cats! Several years ago, my niece saw her Siamese trying to catch
a bee in the back yard. The cat caught it in her mouth and immediately
had a seizure. My niece grabbed her car keys, then the cat and rushed
it to the Vet a block away. Her cat was dead when she got there. MLB
Old July 8th 10, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

wrote:

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message

[...]

MANY more people will be looking out for her now! People who HAVEN'T
seen your posters, will recognize her, too. I assume your telephone
number is in the newspaper article, as well as the website, making it
easy for people with 'Smudgie sightings' to report her whereabouts!

This is VERY GOOD news, indeed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100708-1, 07/08/2010
Tested on: 7/8/2010 2:15:42 PM

Old July 8th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut[_2_]

SNIP

Off topic junk

SNIP

What happened to the original topic of this thread??

Somehow it got hijacked instead of starting a thread of it's own!!

Old July 8th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

kraut wrote:

SNIP

Off topic junk

SNIP

What happened to the original topic of this thread??

Somehow it got hijacked instead of starting a thread of it's own!!

Hey, I tried. See the thread "bees and wasps". Maybe folks can
post under that name, or start a new thread for the bee and wasp
discussion?

Joyce

--
Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
Old July 8th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i was wondering if you could leave your back door or some windows open on
the off chance she might wander in when you weren't looking, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico

We had 2 cats come into our garden to investigate the litter tray and
tasty treats we put down by the trap last night. We scared them away but
I'm glad it's having the desired effect. Trap was empty this morning
but it's early days.

Sharon

Hi Everyone

I just had to post because our local newspaper is going to do an article
on Smudgie! I emailed them at the weekend in the hope they may do a
little piece saying she is lost but they are doing an article with
pictures and everything! Oh I do hope this helps to find her.

Thank you all for your support, which continues to keep me so positive.

I know you will get her back soon. Update your lamp posts
saying she is seen near home and for no-one to feed her under any
circumstances or she won't come back.
You will definitely have to trap her now.
Still purring and praying.

Tweed

Old July 8th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pat Chlebowski

I am a lurker here and check in several times a day for some news on
Smudgie.. I hope he is found soon....

Old July 8th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

"pat Chlebowski" wrote in message
I am a lurker here and check in several times a day for some news on
Smudgie.. I hope he is found soon....

Hi Pat, I mostly lurked here too and even though I wasn't a regular poster,I
have had the most fantastic support and encouragement from everyone on here.
It has really kept me going when all I want to do is sit and cry!

Lee, we cannot leave doors or downstairs windows open at night as we get
burglaries on the estate from time to time. We do sleep with all the
upstairs windows open though and everything open when we are at home, which
is mainly late afternoons and weekends. I wish I could be home all the time
just in case she drops by but I have to go to work Then all I do is sit
and watch the clock until I finish at 3 and rush home expecting her to be
waiting on the doorstep!

Thank you for all your support, you will all be the first to know when she
finally gets home. I do feel that time is getting nearer.

Sharon

Old July 9th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i wasn't sure of the safety of where you live, like tweed or me but it seems
not, but when you are home leaving as much as you feel safe doing might be a
plus, Lee