Calming drugs

Old May 6th 04, 03:51 AM
Cheryl

Default Calming drugs

I don't want to think this but I really think it is time for drugs for
Shamrock. He is just the most obnoxious cat and I don't know what to do.
Shadow spends all the time that I'm home terrified of him, so he sticks
close to me. (they are separated when I'm at work) If he doesn't, he gets
backed into the corner and tries to hiss to get him to back off. He chases
him to the litter box, and poor Shadow sits in the box until I come rescue
him. Now he relentlessly chases Bonnie, and while she didn't used to seem
to mind and enjoyed these games, she doesn't seem to enjoy it anymore. He
won't let up. He has her on the run CONSTANTLY and it must tire her out
more than what is usual. Shamrock has allergies so is at the vet on average
about 4-5 times per year so his vet knows him well and checks him over
every time. The only time I mentioned how horrid he is to Shadow, she
suggested it could be strange cats outside and that certaintly was true, as
I was feeding strays. I don't now (my neighbor is instead) and I haven't
seen any of them hanging out here. This was months ago. All I know is that
Shamrock is just obnoxious. What sort of calming drugs are there for cats
with behavioral issues that can't be controlled in the usual manner? I
keep 2 feliway diffusers at all times.

--
Cheryl
Old May 6th 04, 03:56 AM
Cheryl

Cheryl dumped this in
on 05 May 2004:

What sort of calming drugs are there for cats
with behavioral issues that can't be controlled in the usual manner? I
keep 2 feliway diffusers at all times.

Oh, and I should have said I just want to research side effect of any such
drugs before asking his vet if she thought he should be on something to
calm him down. I'm only in the research stage here.

--
Cheryl

Old May 6th 04, 04:05 AM
Professor

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Cats pick up on the vibes put out by their owners. If Shamrock is obnoxious
sometimes, maybe he is just reflecting your split personality. Perhaps if
you went on calming drugs he'd settle down too. It is so nice to have your
support, that's what friends are for. Truce?

Old May 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Cheryl

"Professor" dumped this in
on 05 May 2004:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Let me tell you a little sumthin sumthin Prof. First, that is not how it
works. Shamrock has been obnoxious since day one. A foster cat, a biter,
unadoptable so I kept him. Shadow got sick, had a feeding tube, didn't
eat on his own for ~3 months. (6 weeks of force feeding before the
feeding tube, 5 weeks with the feeding tube, felt better and ate). When
Shadow got sick, he also contracted FeLV from a blood transfusion so
whether or not to rehome Shamrock (who I had already decided to keep)
wasn't really possible (exposed to FeLV) so he gets vaccinated and we
make the most of it. Several months later, my son gets killed in a car
accident, then along comes a feral cat (probably born right around the
time of the accident), small girl actually, probably 4-5 months old. So
here is me, terminally sick cat, love of my life gone, small scared feral
cat needing a home, biter of a cat who I also adore, and if you read the
middle part of this sentence, I'd say I'm doing pretty damned good.
Vibes? Perhaps. Obnoxious? No, I think you are probably a newbie to
Usenet. Picking up vibes is where your cat (or any pet) comes to comfort
you when you can't stop crying. Shadow is a cat like that. I wish they
could live in harmony, but they can't. I don't know why. Perhaps you have
a better explanation than to tell me he is reflecting my split
personality?

--
Cheryl

Old May 6th 04, 05:23 AM
Professor

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Professor" dumped this in
on 05 May 2004:
Cats pick up on the vibes put out by their owners. If Shamrock is
obnoxious sometimes, maybe he is just reflecting your split
personality. Perhaps if you went on calming drugs he'd settle down
too. It is so nice to have your support, that's what friends are for.
Truce?

Let me tell you a little sumthin sumthin Prof. First, that is not how it
works.

snip
Cheryl

I am sorry to hear about your son's death. The grief you must be carrying
around with you affects you much more than you realize. Don't let your
grief get in the way of doing in life what brings you joy.

That you defend Laura's obnoxious behavior only because she occasionally
imparts knowledge is puzzling to me. I don't see any excuse for her being
so rude to the posters who don't deserve it. Do you know a reason why Laura
should be excused for her abrasiveness that I am unaware of?

It is my understanding that there are medications to calm down overly
aggressive cats. Unfortunately the science is still in its infancy and many
of the medications currently on the market have undesirable side effects. A
friend of mine is a world-renown animal behaviorist at Harvard and his wife
is my Vet. Tomorrow I'll try to look into what medication might make the
most sense for Shamrock and what its known side effects are.

See? I'm a decent guy at heart. I just have a low tolerance for those who
are unreasonably uncivil to one another. Again, truce?

Old May 6th 04, 05:23 AM
Professor

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Professor" dumped this in
on 05 May 2004:

Old May 6th 04, 05:24 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Cheryl at
wrote on 5/5/04 10:25 PM:

"Professor" dumped this in
on 05 May 2004:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Cheryl, I think he is just trolling. I don't know about the calming stuff. I
wish I had more info for you on that. I do know that allergies probably
exacerbate the situation. Grant gets "stalky" when he is uncomfortable. I'm
sure that is half of Shamrock's aggression. It sucks. I WISH there were more
effective treatments for animals allergies I hope someone else knows
more.

Karen