[OT] [PW] [Long] America Bashing

Old December 31st 04, 11:16 PM
Tanada

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:29:47 GMT, Tanada
yodeled:

Since there are
almost ten years between the birth of my first and the birth of my third
(and last) member of the Sesame Street gang. I know I've watched this
show longer than any other (except for Law & Order)

Speaking of which, I am still kind of stunned about Jerry Orbach.

I was pretty stunned when I heard on the news that he went to the
bridge. It won't seem right without him. I loved his character Lenny
Briscoe; he was mind candy and Chris Noth was eye candy.

Pam S.

Old December 31st 04, 11:19 PM
Tanada

Adrian wrote:

Tanada wrote:

British Columbia, Canada (I fell in love with Pentictin when we were
there this summer)
Australia,
New Zealand,
Finland,
Slovakia (Polonca sold me on her home country)
and
Germany

But Polonca lives in Slovenia, not Slovakia, which is another country a
bit further north.

Darn it, Adrian, you're right. But I still want to go to Slovenia as
the web site that Polonca gave us,
http://www.burger.si/http://www.burger.si/ is pretty amazing. I'm in
lurve.

Pam S.

Old December 31st 04, 11:40 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Sherry wrote:

Which may welll explain some snide comments when an American goes into an
international newsgroup (not this one) to complain about the price of gas
going up and how much it will now cost his/her hum-vee to run.

Some Americans really love their gas-hogs. My DH does no matter how much I nag.
I have never had a car that wasn't economical. Since this is an oil & gas
state, our gas is cheaper than average.

Huh? California was "an oil & gas state", too, last time I
looked. How come we're paying as much as $2.75 a gallon,
some places?

Old December 31st 04, 11:42 PM

Tanada wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:29:47 GMT, Tanada
yodeled:

Since there are almost ten years between the birth of my first and
the birth of my third (and last) member of the Sesame Street gang. I
know I've watched this show longer than any other (except for Law &
Order)

Speaking of which, I am still kind of stunned about Jerry Orbach.

I was pretty stunned when I heard on the news that he went to the
bridge. It won't seem right without him. I loved his character Lenny
Briscoe; he was mind candy and Chris Noth was eye candy.

Of course, Orbach officially left the show this past season
- was he expecting to die so soon, I wonder?

Pam S.

Old January 1st 05, 01:07 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article et,
Tanada wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:29:47 GMT, Tanada
yodeled:

Since there are
almost ten years between the birth of my first and the birth of my
third
(and last) member of the Sesame Street gang. I know I've watched this
show longer than any other (except for Law & Order)

Speaking of which, I am still kind of stunned about Jerry Orbach.

I was pretty stunned when I heard on the news that he went to the
bridge. It won't seem right without him. I loved his character Lenny
Briscoe; he was mind candy and Chris Noth was eye candy.

Quite an obituary and tribute in the Washington Post -- turns out that
in his Broadway days, the same guy that played perfect jaded cop was the
singer who introduced the sentimental "Try to Remember".

I'll miss him.
Old January 1st 05, 01:35 AM
Sherry

Speaking of which, I am still kind of stunned about Jerry Orbach.

I was pretty stunned when I heard on the news that he went to the
bridge. It won't seem right without him. I loved his character Lenny
Briscoe; he was mind candy and Chris Noth was eye candy.

Pam S.

Me, too. I got to chat briefly with him when I was in New York as a tourist.
They were filming part of the episode at the Labor Board building there. He was
very nice.

Sherry
Old January 1st 05, 02:03 AM
Christina Websell

Sherry wrote:

Which may welll explain some snide comments when an American goes into
an
international newsgroup (not this one) to complain about the price of
gas
going up and how much it will now cost his/her hum-vee to run.

Some Americans really love their gas-hogs. My DH does no matter how much
I nag.
I have never had a car that wasn't economical. Since this is an oil & gas
state, our gas is cheaper than average.

Huh? California was "an oil & gas state", too, last time I looked. How
come we're paying as much as $2.75 a gallon, some places?

LOL! I wish ours cost that! 79.5 pence a *litre* I have to pay. Isn't
that around 8 dollars or so a gallon?

Tweed
(they stopped telling us how much a gallon was, quite a while ago in case
we went went crazy about it. We are so gullible it doesn't seem so bad
priced in litres :-( )

Old January 1st 05, 02:28 AM
Jo Firey

Sherry wrote:

Which may welll explain some snide comments when an American goes into
an
international newsgroup (not this one) to complain about the price of
gas
going up and how much it will now cost his/her hum-vee to run.

Some Americans really love their gas-hogs. My DH does no matter how much
I nag.
I have never had a car that wasn't economical. Since this is an oil & gas
state, our gas is cheaper than average.

Huh? California was "an oil & gas state", too, last time I looked. How
come we're paying as much as $2.75 a gallon, some places?

State taxes on gasoline. California is very good at applying taxes where we
don't see them. Take a look on the pump next time you buy gas to see what
part of the price is tax. There will be several different categories.

Jo