[OT] [PW] [Long] America Bashing

Old January 1st 05, 07:40 PM
Tanada

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Of course, Orbach officially left the show this past season - was he
expecting to die so soon, I wonder?

He was supposed to star in a spin-off of L & O, but I can't remember the
name of it off hand.

Pam S.

Old January 1st 05, 07:40 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I have read that the UK has the world's highest fuel-tax rates,
apparently as a deliberate measure to encourage use of public
transportation rather than individual vehicles.

We certainly have high fuel duties, but we don't kid ourselves it's to
encourage use of public transportation :-( Our public transportation system is
woefully underfunded, and in many areas it's almost non-existant (rural areas
for example). The fuel duty is more to fuel government coffers than any
environmental tag put on it. If you want to see some truly integrated &
well-thought-out public transport solutions, go no further than say many parts
of France and Germany - Netherlands too. It's one of the things that really
gets my goat about many of the Europhobic press in the UK, slagging off
"Brussels" and the EU at every opportunity, as quite often in matters "public"
there's a lot of mainland Europe that does things soooo much better than we
Brits.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old January 1st 05, 07:43 PM
Tanada

Karen Chuplis wrote:

He was also the original Billy Flynn in Chicago. He was SUCH a great
singer/actor. I was saddened to hear of his death.

I liked him in "Dirty Dancing" where he played Jennifer Gray's father.

Pam S. who would have liked to have had Jerry Orbach as a father

Old January 1st 05, 08:36 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:43:34 GMT, Tanada
yodeled:

Karen Chuplis wrote:

He was also the original Billy Flynn in Chicago. He was SUCH a great
singer/actor. I was saddened to hear of his death.

I liked him in "Dirty Dancing" where he played Jennifer Gray's father.

Another favorite Orbach sighting-- or rather hearing-- as the singing
candelabrum in "Beauty and the Beast."

Theresa
Old January 1st 05, 08:39 PM
Christina Websell

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 03:31:10 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Christina Websell at
wrote on 12/31/04 8:03 PM:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Sherry wrote:

Which may welll explain some snide comments when an American
goes into
an
international newsgroup (not this one) to complain about the
price of gas
going up and how much it will now cost his/her hum-vee to
run.

Some Americans really love their gas-hogs. My DH does no matter
how much
I nag.
I have never had a car that wasn't economical. Since this is an
oil & gas
state, our gas is cheaper than average.

Huh? California was "an oil & gas state", too, last time I
looked. How come we're paying as much as $2.75 a gallon, some
places?

LOL! I wish ours cost that! 79.5 pence a *litre* I have to pay.
Isn't that around 8 dollars or so a gallon?

Tweed
(they stopped telling us how much a gallon was, quite a while
ago in case
we went went crazy about it. We are so gullible it doesn't seem
so bad priced in litres :-( )

Wow. Why is it so much more expensive?

Dunno. The government taxes it a lot. That's why we all try to
have small cars..

I have read that the UK has the world's highest fuel-tax rates,
apparently as a deliberate measure to encourage use of public
transportation rather than individual vehicles.

Which I agree would be a great idea, if our public transport system was any
good. It isn't, and it's expensive too.
For example: I work only 11 miles away from my home. To get there on
public transport, I have to walk for 10 minutes to get to a bus stop, catch
a bus that takes 40 minutes to get into Leicester by going "all round the
houses" as we say, not a direct route to maximise the number of passengers
it can pick up, get off that one, walk another 5 minutes to another bus
stop, and needless to say the bus I need leaves before I can get there. One
every half hour, then that one goes all round the houses too.
It would take me nearly 2 hours to get to work by public transport,
including waiting and walking time, and the same back. It's a very
congested route that can take me up to 50 minutes in the morning depending
on the traffic and whether the (28 sets of) traffic lights are in my favour
or not.

There is a train station 2 miles away. I would have go drive there, leave
my car on an unattended car park all day (lots of car break ins there) and
catch a train to Leicester. It would only take 7 minutes to get there.
Then I would have to change trains, and once again, they don't coincide.
Only one an hour.

Taxing fuel to drive us Brits on to public transport will only work if
there's a decent public transport system for us to use. Otherwise we pay
through the nose for our petrol (gas).

Tweed --who would be quite happy to walk to the bus stop and get a bus
straight from A-B

Old January 1st 05, 08:42 PM
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

LOL! I wish ours cost that! 79.5 pence a *litre* I have to pay.
Isn't that around 8 dollars or so a gallon?

Tweed
(they stopped telling us how much a gallon was, quite a while ago in
case we went went crazy about it. We are so gullible it doesn't seem
so bad priced in litres :-( )

It gets complicated to compare, the US gallon is 3.785412 litres, less
than an imperial gallon (4.546092 litres). So at today's exchange rate
79.5 pence per litre would be $5.765 per US gallon. Which is still
expensive by american standards.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Oh, yes, I forgot about the American gallon being smaller than ours.
Thanks.
It's still a h*ll of a price though!

Tweed

Old January 1st 05, 09:31 PM
Yowie

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

LOL! I wish ours cost that! 79.5 pence a *litre* I have to pay.
Isn't that around 8 dollars or so a gallon?

Tweed
(they stopped telling us how much a gallon was, quite a while ago in
case we went went crazy about it. We are so gullible it doesn't seem
so bad priced in litres :-( )

It gets complicated to compare, the US gallon is 3.785412 litres, less
than an imperial gallon (4.546092 litres). So at today's exchange rate
79.5 pence per litre would be $5.765 per US gallon. Which is still
expensive by american standards.

By that conversion, we Aussies pay (in Aussie dollars) somewhere between
$3.78 and $4.15 per US gallon. Assuming that AU$=US$0.72, that makes our
petrol prices between $2.72 and $2.98 per gallon.

Yowie

Old January 1st 05, 10:25 PM

Christina Websell wrote:

Huh? California was "an oil & gas state", too, last time I looked. How
come we're paying as much as $2.75 a gallon, some places?

LOL! I wish ours cost that! 79.5 pence a *litre* I have to pay. Isn't
that around 8 dollars or so a gallon?

"Only" about $6.10 a gallon, using today's exchange rate -
assuming a litre is a about a quart with four quarts to a
gallon. (Actually, I think a litre is slightly more than a
quart.) We Americans complain about our gas prices,
without realizing that we are "protected" from paying the
true market value as the rest of the world does! (But for
someone who can still remember when it was 36 cents per
gallon, $2.75 is quite an increase, even allowing for
inflation!)

Old January 1st 05, 10:26 PM
Jo Firey

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article et,
Tanada wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:29:47 GMT, Tanada
yodeled:

Since there are
almost ten years between the birth of my first and the birth of my
third
(and last) member of the Sesame Street gang. I know I've watched this
show longer than any other (except for Law & Order)

Speaking of which, I am still kind of stunned about Jerry Orbach.

I was pretty stunned when I heard on the news that he went to the
bridge. It won't seem right without him. I loved his character Lenny
Briscoe; he was mind candy and Chris Noth was eye candy.

Quite an obituary and tribute in the Washington Post -- turns out that
in his Broadway days, the same guy that played perfect jaded cop was the
singer who introduced the sentimental "Try to Remember".

I'll miss him.

Me too. And the reminder of the song made me cry. My parents had the
record and I loved it as a kid. I can still hear him in my mind.

Jo