[OT] [PW] [Long] America Bashing

Old January 2nd 05, 09:12 AM
Adrian

Yowie wrote:
It gets complicated to compare, the US gallon is 3.785412 litres,
less than an imperial gallon (4.546092 litres). So at today's
exchange rate 79.5 pence per litre would be $5.765 per US gallon.
Which is still expensive by american standards.

By that conversion, we Aussies pay (in Aussie dollars) somewhere
between $3.78 and $4.15 per US gallon. Assuming that AU$=US$0.72,
that makes our petrol prices between $2.72 and $2.98 per gallon.

Yowie

So prices in Australia are about half the UK prices. Pity it's too far
to go to to fill up. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 2nd 05, 11:02 AM
Yowie

"Yoj" wrote in message
"bonbon" wrote in message
On 31 Dec 2004 19:34:28 GMT, itty (Sherry ) wrote:

Which may welll explain some snide comments when an American goes

into
an
international newsgroup (not this one) to complain about the price of

gas
going up and how much it will now cost his/her hum-vee to run.

Some Americans really love their gas-hogs. My DH does no matter how

much
I nag.
I have never had a car that wasn't economical. Since this is an oil &

gas
state, our gas is cheaper than average. Still though, it seems wasteful

on one
hand, but on the other hand, if he is in an accident I want him to be

driving
something sturdy.

Sherry

I can relate to that Sherry. I feel fairly secure driving down the
highway in my '59 Chevy Apache. It's like a little tank. A bit of a
gas hog, but I suppose that is partly due to the sheer weight of the
thing.

-bonbon

Well, I'm very happy with my Toyota Corolla. It gets good mileage, and
manages beautifully. It has plenty of power, too. I have to keep
throttling back, because it really wants to go when I get on the freeway.

I have a Toyato Corolla too now! Its got just the right of space to fuel
economy ratio. It can cart a whole load of baby junk plus a decent load of
shopping, and Joel and I no longer bump knees and elbows. In that old car I
took you around in, Joel had to sit with his knees together if I wanted to
change gear. Still, I miss that old rustbucket, Oscar served me well.

Yowie

Old January 2nd 05, 12:11 PM
Jeanette

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

Huh? California was "an oil & gas state", too, last time I looked. How
come we're paying as much as $2.75 a gallon, some places?

LOL! I wish ours cost that! 79.5 pence a *litre* I have to pay. Isn't
that around 8 dollars or so a gallon?

"Only" about $6.10 a gallon, using today's exchange rate -
assuming a litre is a about a quart with four quarts to a
gallon. (Actually, I think a litre is slightly more than a
quart.) We Americans complain about our gas prices,
without realizing that we are "protected" from paying the
true market value as the rest of the world does! (But for
someone who can still remember when it was 36 cents per
gallon, $2.75 is quite an increase, even allowing for
inflation!)

A litre of water's a pint and three quarters.

Jeanette

Old January 2nd 05, 07:29 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

If you're in England yes. If you're in the USA 1 litre = 2.113376 pints

Old January 3rd 05, 02:41 AM
Yowie

"Adrian" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
It gets complicated to compare, the US gallon is 3.785412 litres,
less than an imperial gallon (4.546092 litres). So at today's
exchange rate 79.5 pence per litre would be $5.765 per US gallon.
Which is still expensive by american standards.

By that conversion, we Aussies pay (in Aussie dollars) somewhere
between $3.78 and $4.15 per US gallon. Assuming that AU$=US$0.72,
that makes our petrol prices between $2.72 and $2.98 per gallon.

Yowie

So prices in Australia are about half the UK prices. Pity it's too far
to go to to fill up. ;-)

We have to travel further to go anywhere :-). I remember some English
friends bragging that they had done over 2000km in their two week driving
vacation. I laughed and said I have done 2000km in *two days*. When my
family emigrated from England, they were quite horrified how Australians
just seemed to get up and go without planning and taking lots of extra
provisions in case of an emergency. You see, a trip into London for us at
the time (about 50km) meant at least 2 week sof careful planning and
intinerary, notifying someone else our travel route and carefully booking
tickets well ahead. We all had to wear our Sunday Best, pack extra jumpers,
a spare pair of underwear each, and bring enough extra stuff in case we got
'stuck' somewhere. And so my parents were both horrified that my sister and
I would wake up on school holidays and think "oh, what are we going to do
today?" and on a whim, just hop on a train and go to Sydney (100km away) or
think "hmm, I feel like hot donuts", hop in the car, and drive the 100km to
get to a donut stand famous for its hot donuts. I'd say that Australians and
Americans & Canadians probably have a similar ocncept of "travel" and
"distance", whereas people in the UK and probably Burope too, have a quite
different concept of what constitutues "a long way".

Yowie

Old January 3rd 05, 03:18 AM
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message And so my
parents were both horrified that my sister and
I would wake up on school holidays and think "oh, what are we going to do
today?" and on a whim, just hop on a train and go to Sydney (100km away)
or
think "hmm, I feel like hot donuts", hop in the car, and drive the 100km
get to a donut stand famous for its hot donuts. I'd say that Australians
and
Americans & Canadians probably have a similar ocncept of "travel" and
"distance", whereas people in the UK and probably Burope too, have a quite
different concept of what constitutues "a long way".

Yowie

As we say here in California "Road Trip!" Followed by taking off for
anywhere from a very long day to several. Destination to be decided.
Plans - none. Whoever doesn't absolutely have to be to work tomorrow. As
many as the car will hold.

When we were younger we'd do this a couple of times a month. Charlie lost
his taste for it when he had a 100 mi a day round trip commute and put 300
miles or more on a delivery truck daily on a regular basis.

Jo

Old January 3rd 05, 04:35 AM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:41:02 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"Adrian" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
[...]

Completely. Reminds me of the old joke: The difference between Brits
and Americans is that Brits think 100 miles is a long distance, and
Americans think 100 years is a long time.

Theresa
Old January 3rd 05, 05:33 AM
Sherry

Well, I'm very happy with my Toyota Corolla. It gets good mileage, and
manages beautifully. It has plenty of power, too. I have to keep
throttling back, because it really wants to go when I get on the freeway.

Joy

I'm very happy with my Mustang; it gets great gas mileage and is fun to drive
and has lots of power and I can squeeze in little parking places. I just wish
they would make them front-wheel drive; they really suck on wet or slick
pavement.
Downside, it's hard to get a cat carrier in the back seat.

Sherry