[OT] [PW] [Long] America Bashing

Old January 9th 05, 01:22 AM
David Stevenson

Sherry wrote
I do not like people bragging. I am sorry: that's it. OK, about
their cats, no prob. You think I should not mind people bragging? You
have a right to that view. But I believe it is, at the very least,
impolite to brag.

No, not at all. I respect your point of view. I was just really trying to
understand the term "winding people up". Because, to me, that means
deliberately baiting someone; pushing their buttons on purpose. It's obvious
now that's not what you mean.
I think boastfulness irritates anybody.
But you English. You're always so dang polite. :-)

Winding someone up means, as you put it, pushing their buttons. But
it may be intentional or unintentional.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old January 9th 05, 08:03 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

How does consumption in NORTHERN Europe
(Finland and Scandinavia) compare with the U.S. figures?

Northern Europe as above are *excellent* at energy conservation, better by far
than we Brits IIRC.

And the figures remain that the USA, with only 4% of the world's population use
roughly 25 percent of the oil, 29 percent of the gas, and 21 percent of the
coal. Perhaps the entire population of America lives in the cold bit with no
one in Florida? ;-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old January 9th 05, 08:57 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Dunno. The government taxes it a lot. That's why we all try to have small
cars..

One reason I love my little Mercedes A-class. It's small yet inside it's like a
tardis. It's taken Vernon, Nathan & I to Italy & back, filled with stuff for a
three-week holiday and carrying three bikes too. Plus good mpg.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old January 9th 05, 08:59 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

what would make most in Europe insane would be to learn just how far many of
us drive daily to work. A 150 mile round trip commute isn't unheard of.

Jo

Doesn't make me insane, but I have to admit I see it as a total waste of time
to spend so much time in a car each day travelling to & from work! I used to
have to do a 50-mile each way commute at one time and that was a big enough
waste of space in a day.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old January 9th 05, 03:40 PM
Sherry

Taxes. I do wish it cost more in the States as the States really does need
*start* getting away from its complete over reliance on petrochemicals

A massive gas hike would be an economic calamity for many of us though. We'd
have to move closer to DH's job--we couldn't afford the commute. And I won't do
that. Produce and other goods trucked in would be so expensive consumers
couldn't buy it. As far as heating/cooling homes, already senior citizens die
every summer here because they can't afford to run their A/C.
Family farmers are already financially strapped-propane & gasoline hikes would
push them over the edge.
I'm all for carpooling, public transportation, fuel-efficient cars and
appliances and measures to reduce pollution. I just don't think a massive gas
hike is the answer.
Besides, I admit it, we're spoiled. I won't hang clothes out to dry in the
winter. I won't live in a populated area even if it means closer proximity to
work. I will have the thermostat at 68 no matter how cold it is outside. I like
having strawberries out of season. :-)

Sherry
Old January 9th 05, 06:19 PM
CatNipped

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Dunno. The government taxes it a lot. That's why we all try to have

small
cars..

One reason I love my little Mercedes A-class. It's small yet inside it's

like a
tardis. It's taken Vernon, Nathan & I to Italy & back, filled with stuff

for a
three-week holiday and carrying three bikes too. Plus good mpg.

A fellow Dr. Who fan!!!! Which doctor did you like the best? Tom Baker is
my favorite.

I think my Bandit watched it a little too much, however, every time she sees
one of her sisters she starts immitating a Dalek - murmuring "Exterminate,
exterminate, exterminate."

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

Old January 10th 05, 12:03 AM
David Stevenson

Sherry wrote
[...]

Massive hikes are not the answer. But if the USA were to gradually
move towards a better situation - perhaps slightly above inflation hikes
every year for example - it would help.

Old January 10th 05, 12:04 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Sherry wrote:

[...]

All you say is true, of course. However, the technology
either already exists or is nearly available (with a little
more incentive) to eliminate dependence upon gasoline as
fuel for autos, etc. So long as the "oil industry" exists,
it will oppose "alternative" fuel, and the auto
manufacturers will consequently avoid the expense of
developing vehicles that use other, "renewable" fuel sources
for their operation. Perhaps a big enough public outcry
might spur them to greater effort - but people always take
the line of least resistance. I'm old enough to remember
hearing "People will never pay that much!" when a possible
increase from 30 cents to an "ultimate" 60 cents per gallon
was first predicted! (Now nearly $3 per gallon may elicit
complaints, but that's about all - I don't notice many
Californians giving up their SUV's.)

Sherry

Old January 10th 05, 01:12 AM
Sherry

All you say is true, of course. However, the technology
either already exists or is nearly available (with a little
more incentive) to eliminate dependence upon gasoline as
fuel for autos, etc. So long as the "oil industry" exists,
it will oppose "alternative" fuel, and the auto
manufacturers will consequently avoid the expense of
developing vehicles that use other, "renewable" fuel sources
for their operation. Perhaps a big enough public outcry
might spur them to greater effort - but people always take
the line of least resistance. I'm old enough to remember
hearing "People will never pay that much!" when a possible
increase from 30 cents to an "ultimate" 60 cents per gallon
was first predicted! (Now nearly $3 per gallon may elicit
complaints, but that's about all - I don't notice many
Californians giving up their SUV's.)

That's kind of what I was trying to say. A gas hike really won't stop
consumption. It just won't. The ones who can still afford it will just pay the
price and the repercussions on the economy would be severe when the working
class can no longer afford to commute.
It's the best thing for the planet, but the solution isn't that easy.
Heh. Remember "gasahol"?

Sherry
Old January 10th 05, 08:04 AM

Sherry wrote:

That's kind of what I was trying to say. A gas hike really won't stop
consumption. It just won't. The ones who can still afford it will just pay the
price and the repercussions on the economy would be severe when the working
class can no longer afford to commute.
It's the best thing for the planet, but the solution isn't that easy.
Heh. Remember "gasahol"?

I do indeed! It was the cause of a ruined carburetor on my
78 Honda Civic, when I drove it cross-country from
California to Minnesota in 1980. The manufacturer
recommended "regular" gasoline, with no warning about
"gasahol", so how was I to know I should have used
"premium"? For that matter, how was I to know it was
gasahol? The pumps didn't advertise the fact very prominently.

Sherry