Purrs for Jet, please

Old January 14th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs for Jet, please

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:06:15 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

At the start of December , my parents noticed a new cat wandering about
their back yard. My parents have a large back yard, and Dad has turned all
of it bar one small strip of lawn into a minature botanicl garden, with a
desert area, a jungle area, a native area, a swampy area etc etc. It
attracts all the local cats.

Around christmas , my parents noticed this one particular "new" cat was
starting to look rather thin, and it had started to approach them, meowing
and wrapping around their legs.

They took pity on it, and started to leave food and water out. My parents,
only on a pension, and not willing to truly adopt a cat, only left out cheap
generic food, but at least this new cat was no longer starving.

The new cat clearly adopted my parents, even if my parents didn't want to
adopt the new cat.

Eventually the new cat got friendly enough to be picked up, and there on the
collar was his name, Jet, and a phone number.

My parents rang it every day starting on the 27th of December. On the 6th of
January it finally answered.

Apprantly Jet was the cat of the lady on the phone, but he cost her $500 at
the vet to have a tick removed, and she wasn't prepared to pay that sort of
cost again. The vet said her area was prone to ticks, so she gave the cat to
her daughter, who apparantly lives somehwhre in my parent's area. Except
that her daughter has gone on holidays and she doesn't know who is supposed
to be caring for the cat.

As of the 13th of January, no-one has come forward to claim Jet.

The tragic thing, in my view, is that Jet is clearly a pure bred cat used to
the good life. He is a persian cat, with great big round orange eyes, the
"pug' persian face, and a gloriously thick pure black coat. I can tell he's
used to being fed by hand because when i offered him my fingers to smell he
started licking then trying to eat them as if they had tid-bits on them (he
definatley wasn't biting aggressively or in an over-stimualted sort of way)n
and apprantly didn't really know what to do with cheap kibble placed in a a
bowl for quite some time (and has problems eating it anyway with the pushe
din face). He also has some really large matts in his otherwise glorious
coat.

But he's the most friendly and affectionate creature, clearly used to be
being spoiled rotten, and now he's forced to live under my parents house
(they won't let it in, Mum is terrified of having a cat around lest she fall
and break her hip as he's twisting aroun dher legs), eat cheap kibble and
contend with the other neighbourhood stray cats.

I've never met a friendlier cat. He even let Cary play with him after
meetign Cary for he first time, which says something about his trust in
humans, even little ones (despite the crappy way they've treated him), and
tried to get into my car when I left my parent's place.

I strongly suspect that the daughter of the previous owner will not be
coming to reclaim Jet, otherwise surely she would have done so already, and
whoever is *supposed* to be looking after him (assuming there is a somebody)
is clearly doing a very bad job. My parents don't want to keep Jet, knowing
that he ought to find a better home than they can offer, and I can't add a
third cat to my household (besides Shmogg & IBKFergus would eat him alive).

He's so loving and friendly, and obviously a pure-bred critter, I can well
imagine he'll be re-homed quickly. But int he mean time, can people spare a
few purrs for him? (And if someone can tell me how to relieve a long haired
persian-type cat of matts, I'd also be grateful)

Yowie

Oh, that poor baby! I surely hope you can find a good home for him;
it sounds like he truly deserves it.

On matts -- there are matt-breaker combs which help. And in a pinch,
a seam-ripper works, too. Vets will usually just shave them if the
matts are too bad. Hope you can find something that works.

Purrs for poor little Jet to find a warm, loving home with wonderful
food and wonderful people to care for him.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old January 14th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

At the start of December , my parents noticed a new cat wandering about
their back yard. snip
He's so loving and friendly, and obviously a pure-bred critter, I can well
imagine he'll be re-homed quickly. But int he mean time, can people spare a
few purrs for him? (And if someone can tell me how to relieve a long haired
persian-type cat of matts, I'd also be grateful)

Yowie

Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for a onetruehome to be found for
Jet asap, he sounds adorable!
Polonca and Soncek

Old January 18th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Just read about Jet. If he hasn't been reclaimed by his owner by now, I
am sure he will never be\ Purrs for you to find him a good home. MLB

Old January 18th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

snip

Yowie

Yowie,

Have you found a home yet for Jet? If not, I would like to *strongly*
encourage you to adopt him. He sounds like a great cat, and he should not
be left outdoors to fend for himself. He is vulnerable to predators, cars,
etc. -- and will have all sorts of problems with fleas, ticks, and mats with
that long Persian coat. In one of your other messages, you mentioned that
you don't have room for a third cat and you also felt that your resident cat
would reject the newcomer. Actually, though, one more cat really does not
need much more space. As you know, cats love to curl up in small areas, so
"space" usually isn't an issue when comparing two cats to three cats. As to
being rejected, you simply need to do a slow and careful introduction. You
have probably read some of my previous messages about Holly and Duffy.
Believe me, if there ever was a cat where it looked like it would be
impossible to have a happy relationship with another cat, that would
describe Holly! All it really took, though, was extra time and patience on
my part. Holly and Duffy are now a truly blended cat family.

Please give it a try.

MaryL

Old January 18th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs for Jet, please - update

Hi All,

Yowie will tell you the whole story much more eloquently than I can,
but suffice to say Jet will have a home with my father when the time
is right. My father, a long-time aurophile, lost his long-term
friend, Clawed DePussy, to old age and multiple cancers just before
Christmas and is now ready to consider opening his house to a new
feline resident.

Tish

Old January 18th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
Hi All,

Yowie will tell you the whole story much more eloquently than I can,
but suffice to say Jet will have a home with my father when the time
is right. My father, a long-time aurophile, lost his long-term
friend, Clawed DePussy, to old age and multiple cancers just before
Christmas and is now ready to consider opening his house to a new
feline resident.

Tish

That's wonderful! Is there any way Jet could be temporarily housed
indoors -- for safety -- until your father adopts him? It would be tragic
to have a home waiting for him and then to have something happen (predators,
cars, etc.) before he was given that opportunity.

MaryL

Old January 18th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:
Hi All,

Yowie will tell you the whole story much more eloquently than I can,
but suffice to say Jet will have a home with my father when the time
is right. My father, a long-time aurophile, lost his long-term
friend, Clawed DePussy, to old age and multiple cancers just before
Christmas and is now ready to consider opening his house to a new
feline resident.

Tish

That's good to hear, purrs for it to work out well.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Multi-purpose purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 22 November 23rd 04 03:16 PM
Purrs for Rosie Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 137 October 15th 04 11:36 AM
Truck Purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 5th 04 02:40 PM
Travel purrs Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 33 August 13th 04 06:00 PM
Purrs for Lacey Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 25 November 19th 03 06:20 AM