Hobo's Dental - Update

Old January 14th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Hobo's Dental - Update

Purrs and prayers for dear Hobo.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
"JBHajos" wrote in message
Well, it didn't happen. Of *course* yesterday was Friday the 13th.
He was scheduled for a teeth cleaning and after his three days of
antibiotic capsules, he was taken in at 8:00 a.m., right at the
beginning of a severe thunderstorm. Made for a great driving
experience. We left him there and waited for the call to come get
him. We got a call about noon all right. Because Hobo is elderly and
diabetic, the vet did some preliminary testing before administering
the anesthetic. Unfortunately, Hobo got a double whammy. Not only
diabetes but his kidneys are failing. So no anesthetic and no dental
work. His diet has been a high-protein diabetes-management food which
is now history - to be controlled only by his insulin - and placed on
a kidney-management diet. Which he's not eating too well. Poor old
guy has to face a battle on two fronts. And we are beside ourselves.
Good old Friday the 13th!!!

Thanks for listening. Please keep your fingers crossed for him, and
I'm sure a purr or two would be helpful.

Jeanne

Old January 14th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"JBHajos" wrote in message
[...]

Oh Jeanne, I'm so sorry to hear that. Purrs on the way that he'll rebound
from this latest setback.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 14th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:14:10 GMT, (JBHajos)
wrote:

[...]

Oh, Jeanne, I am so sorry. Purrs for Hobo that he feel better soon,
and that you can get everything under control. CRF can be managed for
a good long while if caught early enough. Purrs that this is the case
with your baby.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old January 14th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 05:14:10a, JBHajos wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Thanks for listening. Please keep your fingers crossed for him,
and I'm sure a purr or two would be helpful.

Purrs for Hobo that his problems get under control soon! Hopefully he
can have his dental when he's a little more stable.

--
Cheryl
Old January 14th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm sorry to hear it! It's hard to treat two different conditions
when the treatments are in opposition. I hope you find a good compromise
between the two. Are there complex carbs that a cat can eat? Those are
better for a diabetic because they don't break down into sugar as
quickly, so they don't overwhelm the system with sugars. Foods such as
vegetables and whole grains are complex carbs.

I've never tried feeding these foods to a cat, but the human diabetics
I know get their carbs in this way, rather than with refined carbs or
white rice, which are much more glycemic (turn into sugar quickly). I
guess if a cat can supplement its meat with rice or potatoes, they could
just as easily get some veggies into the mix, or brown rice. Or maybe he
could chomp on grass more? Meanwhile, subq fluids would help a lot with
the kidney failure.

Purrs for getting all of it under control!

Joyce
Old January 14th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

JBHajos wrote:

Well, it didn't happen. snip Not only
diabetes but his kidneys are failing. So no anesthetic and no dental
work. His diet has been a high-protein diabetes-management food which
is now history - to be controlled only by his insulin - and placed on
a kidney-management diet. Which he's not eating too well. Poor old
guy has to face a battle on two fronts. And we are beside ourselves.
Good old Friday the 13th!!!

Thanks for listening. Please keep your fingers crossed for him, and
I'm sure a purr or two would be helpful.

Jeanne

Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for insulin to work really well
and for Hobo to discover that the new food is not as bad as it seemed at
first,
Polonca and Soncek

Old January 15th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs for Hobo, and for you.

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

Old January 15th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Poor Hobo! I'm sorry Jeanne. Sometimes you have to consider, too, whether
changing his diet (if he's eating well on his old food) is worth it. I
don't know how old Hobo is but maybe you can manage his kidney issues with
sub-q fluids. I don't know -- I just remember how much my cat Frodo loved
his food; he was diagnosed at 15 with kidney disease. I talked with my vet
and we tried managing his kidney disease with fluid therapy. You're kind of
stuck between a rock and a hard place and I'm so sorry.
Christine