Cat Trapping Advice

Old January 18th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat Trapping Advice

wrote:
This is kind of long and rambling, but if anyone has any advice I'd
appreciate. My experience trapping cats is very limited.
DH tells me there is a feral tuxedo kitten at work. He says it has a
close to zero chance of long-term survival. It will eventually get
mangled in machinery or run over by a truck.

So he wants to trap it. I have arranged to borrow a trap for tomorrow
night when he goes to work. We SO do not need another cat. But this
cat can't be taken to the shelter, it's too wild.

He wants to keep it in the garage until it tames down considerably,
and after that we really don't have a plan. DH says, even if it is a
yard cat/barn cat here it has a much better chance and a better life
than a feral in a paper factory. PFFT. Yard cat. It will be in the
house sleeping with us on the bed a year from now. I'm not sure how old
it is. He keeps calling it a "baby kitten" so I imagine pretty small.

This will make six cats. That's too many for a house this size. But I
just don't see that we have much choice. We do have a nice barn with 3
barn-cat neutered male ferals that I've had for several years. I don't
think they would accept an interloper though. And I just couldn't turn
a "baby kitten" out like that.
Well, anyway, purrs for a successful trapping on Tuesday night. And
purrs that the kitten is still there and hasn't already come to a bad
end since DH has been off for the weekend.

Sherry

Purrs on the way, Sherry.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 18th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

SuzQ wrote:
Sherry, I don't mean to be a smart asterisk, but your lot in life is to
rescue kitties. If your husband disliked cats it might have help prevent
it. But alas he likes cats, as long as there are cats in need you will
probably be there. basically this is a good thing as far as karma is
concerned, but it wont be convienent.
Suz&Spicey

LOL, it helps that it is a tuxedo. DH's cat Boots is a tuxedo and he is
just crazy about her. She follows him all over the yard, like a d*g.
She goes everywhere except the apiary and that's because she's been
stung before. She waits patiently and watches till he comes back. I
found a pic to show you what I mean:
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/lpainting.jpg
And Bootsie gets away with murder. She can scratch on the furniture,
jump on the counters and he just says, "Oh look. Isn't she precious."
He just called about 10:30 tonight. Nothing in the trap yet.

Sherry

Old January 18th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
oups.com...

SuzQ wrote:
[...]

LOL, I love that picture, Sherry, that's classic! I have two tuxedos,
brother and sister, but they're very independent. They only emerge when
company comes over, for the most part. They love people. I guess they're
bored with me????

kili

Old January 18th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-16 23:57:38 -0600, said:

[...]

No advice on trapping but I grew up in a 926 sq ft house with 7 cats
and 3 dogs. It's big enough. I'm sure :P

I don't know, I live in an 800 sq ft. house, and three cats is a bit much.
There isn't much room for zoomies. :~)

kili

Old January 18th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"sriddles" wrote in message
oups.com

LOL, it helps that it is a tuxedo. DH's cat Boots is a tuxedo and he is
just crazy about her. She follows him all over the yard, like a d*g.
She goes everywhere except the apiary and that's because she's been
stung before. She waits patiently and watches till he comes back. I
found a pic to show you what I mean:
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/lpainting.jpg///

She obviously feels that "paw" needs very close supervision, LOL!

Helen M

Old January 18th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I don't know, I live in an 800 sq ft. house, and three cats is a bit much.
There isn't much room for zoomies. :~)

We've got four in a two bedroom apartment and there's an actual "zoomie
route." It goes from the back of the bedroom, turns 90 degrees and
runs down the length of the apartment, down the hall and into the
living room, turns again to traverse the width of the apartment through
the living room, then arches through the kitchen 180 degrees. After
the kitchen, a tight turn will put them going the opposite way down the
hall, ideally placed to jump into the bathroom, or turn into either the
bedroom or the office.

Purrs for the trapping. Smokey was feral but after 3 months as "unit
mascot", being worshipped by a few hundred aircrew, and getting fed
outside the op-center, his "Capture" simply involved picking him up and
dropping him into a box.

--Fil

Old January 18th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't know, I live in an 800 sq ft. house, and three cats is a bit

much.
There isn't much room for zoomies. :~)

We've got four in a two bedroom apartment and there's an actual "zoomie
route." It goes from the back of the bedroom, turns 90 degrees and
runs down the length of the apartment, down the hall and into the
living room, turns again to traverse the width of the apartment through
the living room, then arches through the kitchen 180 degrees. After
the kitchen, a tight turn will put them going the opposite way down the
hall, ideally placed to jump into the bathroom, or turn into either the
bedroom or the office.

Ah, you have corners! I live in a perfect rectangle. My kids' only zoomie
route is the small hallway between the rooms. I have two bedrooms,
side-by-side (the master is slightly longer), a bathroom opposite the master
bedroom and the closet for the hot water heater, then the kitchen
side-by-side the living room. If the house was designed differently, I
think the cats would have much more fun.

kili