I am so proud

Old January 17th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I am so proud

I will be up in Leeds next week for a few days, to look after my
parents while dad has a cataract removed, he's 84 and almost blind in
his other eye so I want to help mum with him for a few days, she's 81
and fiercely independent but I've insisted on going.

As I'm going for longer than usual, and it's before pay day I was
worried about booking the nurse to look after Otis, it works out very
expensive for anything longer than a couple of days. The reason I
always have to get someone in is because DH is hypodermic phobic - this
sounds funny but it isn't, he won't go to the dentist, will not have
shots (had stitches put in his nose when he came off his bike in with
no local anaesthetic as refused to have one) and goes funny when
there's needles on TV. It's not actually the needle, it's the
hypodermic, he can't even bear to look at those novelty biros you can
get that look like syringes!

Anyway, and I can't believe this, he's let me teach him how to do
Otis's insulin and is going to do it while I'm away. This is so amazing
- he looks like he's going to faint but has promised me he'll be fine
and will call in the nurse if it goes wrong, we're going to have a
couple of practice runs before I go just to be on the safe side as Otis
bolted when he tried to do it last night, but I think that was because
he picked up on DH's nerves. I told him about how easy it is once
you've done it once, I remember I couldn't sleep the night before I had
to do it for the first time, but Otis is such a pig that so long as you
do it while he's eating he doesn't even notice, thank goodness.

The only thing that worries me is how Otis will rouse DH from his faint
if it happens, I'm sure Otis will howl if he thinks dinner has been
delayed though!

Marcia

Old January 17th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
[...]

Maybe it will help your DH to overcome his phobia, good luck purrs al round.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 17th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sorry, didn't mean to post it twice. It won't be a carpet it will be
the hard kitchen tiles (where Otis gets fed), I suppose if he falls on
Otis he'll have a nice soft landing, ha ha. Seriously though, I'm sure
he'll be fine, once he's on his own, he and Otis have a sort of
understanding when I'm not around, my sofa gets completely covered in
fur from where DH has given him a proper rough tummy scratch and all
over body massage, which sends Otis completely blissed out and
drooling! It makes me quite jealous to be honest. I just wish he'd
hoover the sofa sometimes afterwards, cos once it's one your clothes,
it's there for life.

Chakolate wrote:

wrote in news:1137509511.389708.92410
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The only thing that worries me is how Otis will rouse DH from his faint
if it happens, I'm sure Otis will howl if he thinks dinner has been
delayed though!

Just to be safe, be sure your DH does the deed on a nice soft carpet.
:-)

Chak

--
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in
private and wash your hands afterwards.

Old January 17th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

LOL! He'll probably wake him up by licking his nose. A rough kitty tongue
applied to a nose usually works.

It's really nice that you're going, and I'm sure you will find some things
to do that will help your parents. However, I doubt if your dad will need
much caring for. I had my mother stay with me when she had her cataract
surgery, and the only thing I had to do for her was to put the drops in her
eyes. When she went home, my sister wouldn't do it, so she learned to do it
herself. I live alone, and have had cataract surgery on both eyes. I
needed somebody to drive me to and from the doctor for the surgery, and for
the first visit afterward. Other than that, I took care of myself.

Joy

Old January 17th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Duh! I didn't even comment on the main reason for your post. It is a sign
of real love for your DH to overcome his phobia in this way, and for this
reason. You have a right to be proud of him, and I hope he's proud of
himself.

Joy

Old January 18th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
[...]

Good luck to your DH, your Dad, and you!
--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe