Cats Home Alone

Old April 17th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Default Cats Home Alone

Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
"anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
much easier than people!

Old April 17th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

I WOULD NEVER LEAVE THE CATS ALONE FOR MORE THAN TWO DAYS!!! DID YOU
CONSIDER A AT HOTEL? THEY WILL PUT THEM TOGETHER AND IT'S NOT THAT
EXPENSIVE. WHENTHEY ARE LEFT ALONE FOR TOO LONG THEY COULD FIGHT AND
GET INJURED. I HAVE EIGHT CATS AND THEY ARE MY KID. I JUST THINK IT'S
TOO
RISKY LEAVING THEM ALONE FOR SEVEN DAYS, I KNOW I WOULD' NOT ENJOY MY
VACATION!!

LARAINE

Old April 17th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Nancy Prentice wrote:
Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a
7 day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they
have the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter
boxes, toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasible
plan? I don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a
bit "anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get
over it much easier than people!

If you're gone for 7 days - what about burglars/robbers? Fire? Storms that
damage the house (be it hurricane, tornado or just high winds & rain, hail
or what)? The kitties could be injured, killed or escape!

I would be too worried to enjoy the vacation if I left them home alone!
Even for 2 nights (did that, and we worried the whole drive home).

If there's no friends or relatives to look in on them on a daily basis,
consider hiring a professional pet-sitter, or taking them to be boarded at a
reputable kennel that accepts cats (and keeps them separate from the doggie
area).

Old April 17th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

I would never leave my cats alone for more than 2 days let alone 7. If you
don't have any friends or family that could check on them while you are
gone, please consider hiring a professional pet-sitter.

S.

Old April 19th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Please don't do this too them. How are you going to give them fresh water.
Would you like to drink stale water. Also theitr litter boxes should be
cleaned daily. Please consider a petsitter!!!

Old April 22nd 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:53:37 -0400, Nancy Prentice wrote:

Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
"anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
much easier than people!

7 days is too long. Even 4 is pushing it.

Don't you know anybody at all? Any friends? Any neighbors who don't
hate you?

I've on several occasions had a neighbor catsit. I'll usually bring
a gift back from vacation as "payment." Or leave a case of beer in the
fridge. Depends on the neighbor.
Old April 22nd 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Thanks to everyone who responded with your opinions.

I have a security alarm system which nobody (whom I know) wants to touch
- so they have declined to check-in on my 2 cats while I am away. I have
one neighbor who is willing to help put -- he is an alcohalic and often
drunk (don't trust him).

Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week. As far as house fires,
lightening strikes etc. -- those scenarios would be tragic even if I was
home. So I wonder if your are transferring your human dislike of being
alone onto cats? My cats seem to sleep about 60% of the time any way.

- Nancy

Old April 22nd 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

I have a security alarm system which nobody (whom I know) wants to touch
- so they have declined to check-in on my 2 cats while I am away. I have

Pet sitters are used to going to houses that have alarm systems. Your city
must have some pet sitters for hire that have gone to homes with alarm
systems; it's not hard to punch in a code to stop the alarm from going off,
it's a very easy procedure, I do it every day. They also do other things
such as pick up mail and water plants. What about your mail? If it piles up
in the mail box it is obvious to thieves that you are away.

Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week. As far as house fires,

Believe it or not but not cleaning a litter box for 7 days is stressful to
your cats. Also, would if something happened to them health wise while you
were gone?

lightening strikes etc. -- those scenarios would be tragic even if I was
home. So I wonder if your are transferring your human dislike of being

But if you were home if these things happened, you would be there to get your
cats out of the house.

alone onto cats? My cats seem to sleep about 60% of the time any way.

They would be stressed out if you left them alone with no human contact for 7
days. I don't know anyone who would leave their pets alone for that long
without worrying about them. Most people want to make sure they're okay and
they do so by having someone come and check on them.

Old April 22nd 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:11:50 -0400, (Nancy
Prentice) wrote:

Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week.

And these aren't good reasons????

http://www.black-cat-gfx.co.uk/

"A cat is only technically an animal,
being divine" - Robert Lynd
Old April 22nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Nancy wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded with your opinions.

I have a security alarm system which nobody (whom I know) wants to touch
- so they have declined to check-in on my 2 cats while I am away. I have
one neighbor who is willing to help put -- he is an alcohalic and often
drunk (don't trust him).

Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week. As far as house fires,
lightening strikes etc. -- those scenarios would be tragic even if I was
home. So I wonder if your are transferring your human dislike of being
alone onto cats? My cats seem to sleep about 60% of the time any way.

I run off and leave the kids regularly due to the demands of gainful
employment.

On a daily basis, there's a bowl under the leaky faucet in the tub.
Older kitty discovered the leak on her own; I use the shower and
replace the bowl. Viola, fresh water.

If I were leaving for a week, I'd establish a couple more litter boxes.
(The nice thing about upgrades: I saved all the old basic litter pans,
so there are quite a few to choose from.) I don't scoop (actually, tip;
both daily boxes are the "roll-a-way" type) on a daily basis. The kids
would likely use the cleanest box each time.

My living quarters could burn down, blow up or away, or whatever any
day of the week. Since I live alone, there'd be no way to know if a
tree fell on the roof or a lake moved into the basement until I got
back.

Enjoy your trip. Take a cat with you if you can (this can be really
fun).

HTH

--Karen D.