Rat Poison in food recalled according to local news

Old March 24th 07, 09:00 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cory

Default Rat Poison in food recalled according to local news

On Mar 24, 11:07 am, Barnabas Collins
wrote:
snip...
Before you come down too hard on Iams beer in mind this stretched
across NINETY+ brands. Iams plus 89 other brands at least.

Before you blame IAMS the ultimate responsibility is the supplier in
China. Menu foods may have been a victim of choosing the wrong
supplier.

MY personal problem with Menu Foods is that they SAT on their info.
for, some reports have said, as many as two weeks before they
announced any kind of a problem with their food. To me, that's
inexcuseable. You can want to track down the source of the problem
all you want and make sure it's not something else before you release
ALL the information to the public about the contaminated food, but at
least tell your damn consumers that there IS a problem in the first
place. The fact that MF didn't do even THAT much is garbage, plain
and simple.

Also, according to published news reports, Menu Foods learned of the
problem after something like 9 cats got sick and died during routine
taste testing.

Er... 'scuse me, but wouldn't a frickin' red flag go up after the
first ONE OR TWO deaths (certainly by the THIRD one, I would
think!)???

There are a lot of angry pet owners across North America right now,
and there should be. We have a right to be angry.

Menu Foods messed up and didn't handle this recall right from start to
finish.

Do I feel bad that they may have gotten the screws put to 'em by a
faulty supplier? Sure, I do. However, when you sit on something of
THIS magnitude for weeks and let pets die before you go public with
ANY sort of information about a potential problem, then YOU are just
as culpable in my book as the supplier of the defective product is.

--- Cory

Old March 24th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Andy

Barnabas Collins wrote:

One thing i'm wondering after the 90+ brands of moist food are
removed the shelves is there anything left?

The soft food shelves at our local Safeway are better than half empty.

(I'm fortunate that all my cats only do dry food. My oldest has
never tolerated moist food.)

I had to wean both mine off of soft food because it was causing
obesity problems for my young tom. They have occasional kitchen snacks.

And glad I did ;\

My girlfriend may not have been as fortunate...

But i'd want further details before blaming IAMS/science diet/
purina and the other 87 brands. After all it comes down
to a question of who knew what when.

Where it originated.

(I'd add that is probably sheer luck that New York officials
stumbled on what the ingredient was.)

I read that it was one of the two centers set up for bioterrorism
testing that found it. If so, kudos.

It's frustrating not knowing what's going on...

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are
fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives
up but with life itself."
- Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

"The state which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its
thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools," Thucydides.
Old March 25th 07, 12:22 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barnabas Collins

On 24 Mar 2007 14:00:27 -0700, "Cory" wrote:
MY personal problem with Menu Foods is that they SAT on their info.
for, some reports have said, as many as two weeks before they
announced any kind of a problem with their food.

Maybe they had no idea what was causing the problem?
Do I feel bad that they may have gotten the screws put to 'em by a
faulty supplier? Sure, I do. However, when you sit on something of
THIS magnitude for weeks and let pets die before you go public with
ANY sort of information about a potential problem, then YOU are just
as culpable in my book as the supplier of the defective product is.

Do we know for a fact this happened?
Old March 25th 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

My question still remains, where is the Quality control all these brands
advertise, especially the more expensive ones, that is so important to
them? Even after two cats died a blind man could see there was a problem,
just ask us!

Old March 25th 07, 02:48 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barnabas Collins

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:50:45 -0600, Andy andy@NOYB wrote:

Barnabas Collins wrote:

One thing i'm wondering after the 90+ brands of moist food are
removed the shelves is there anything left?

The soft food shelves at our local Safeway are better than half empty.

But after you remove the 90+ brands of moist food is there any moist
food left?

(I'm fortunate that all my cats only do dry food. My oldest has
never tolerated moist food.)

I had to wean both mine off of soft food because it was causing
obesity problems for my young tom. They have occasional kitchen snacks.

Maybe the kitchen snacks are contributing to the obesity?

Old March 25th 07, 02:54 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barnabas Collins

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:25:02 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

My question still remains, where is the Quality control all these brands
advertise, especially the more expensive ones, that is so important to
them? Even after two cats died a blind man could see there was a problem,
just ask us!

I don't want to be in a position to defend menu but you've never
worked in retail have you? The problem could be anywhere in a
long chain. From the factory to the warehouse, the entire
distribution system, the retail warehouses, the retailer, etc.
The problem (if there is one could stretch anywhere along the
chain. Remember the Tylenol scare? That occurred on the shelf
at the store.
Old March 25th 07, 03:43 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Andy

Granby wrote:
My question still remains, where is the Quality control all these brands
advertise, especially the more expensive ones, that is so important to
them? Even after two cats died a blind man could see there was a problem,
just ask us!

Yup, that's the Real Question, regardless of whether or not aminopterin
is the ultimate cause. They still let something slip by them that
shouldn't have.

I've been wondering for a couple hours, if MF goes under the weight of
the pressure they are going to face, and have to cease operations, what
are all the big brand names going to do?

This isn't bad grain, this is a human produced specific poison.

Old March 25th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Andy

Barnabas Collins wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:25:02 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

My question still remains, where is the Quality control all these brands
advertise, especially the more expensive ones, that is so important to
them? Even after two cats died a blind man could see there was a problem,
just ask us!

I don't want to be in a position to defend menu but you've never
worked in retail have you? The problem could be anywhere in a
long chain.

No, it couldn't. It's too widespread. It has to originate from a
single source somewhere inside or upstream of the plants it was
manufactured in, not on the retail distribution end. Otherwise we would
see a very skewed distribution by region.

Old March 25th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

One should never assume anything. Yes, as a matter of fact I am in retail.
I have to watch code dates, product condition, source of product etc. I
quarantee you if even one of my customers dropped dead after eating anything
from my jobsite, it wouldn't take two weeks for the word to get out.
Second, how can you say IF IT HAPPENED? One of the producers admits that
nine cats died just from normal taste testing.

Old March 25th 07, 04:03 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Andy

Barnabas Collins wrote:

One thing i'm wondering after the 90+ brands of moist food are
removed the shelves is there anything left?

The soft food shelves at our local Safeway are better than half empty.

But after you remove the 90+ brands of moist food is there any moist
food left?

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the soft cat food shelves are half empty.

(I'm fortunate that all my cats only do dry food. My oldest has
never tolerated moist food.)

I had to wean both mine off of soft food because it was causing
obesity problems for my young tom. They have occasional kitchen snacks.

Maybe the kitchen snacks are contributing to the obesity?

It was two years ago and the problem is solved already, but thanks for
your input. Two months after I began taking them off commercial soft
food for snacks and substituted homemade kitchen morsels my tom had lost
4 lbs; and now he's as healthy as I could wish. Still overweight, but
not dangerously so.

Please note that I *never* overfed; it was the content of the feed
that was causing the problem. Specifically, for Bandit (the tom) too
much grain products in his diet - and it was my vets recommendation to
cut them out. My older female seems to tolerate such just fine, but
Bandit did not.