For Those in Fortworth / Dallas Area

Old January 22nd 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default For Those in Fortworth / Dallas Area

MaryL wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Pat" wrote in message
news

"CatNipped" wrote

| The problem started with her second child, now a nine-month-old little
girl.
| The baby is *SO* allergic to the cats that she has to have special
breathing
| treatments every night, and there have been times when she's had to be
taken
| to the emergency room when they thought her throat may be closing
up. She
| gets very sick for days at a time when exposed to the cats

I can't help with finding homes for the cats, but I would ask if they
are
giving cow's milk to the baby, that can greatly exacerbate allergies.
You
might suggest if they are giving cow's milk (even to the older child) to
find a substitute and see what happens.... What harm could it do, and
might
even solve the whole problem.

No, she's still breast feeding.

That is still a good suggestion to consider. I was born allergic to all
forms of milk. That was long enough ago that they still didn't have
many of the substitutes for formula that are readily available now, and
there was a period when my life was at risk. My mother said they
eventually got something from the Mayo Clinic that solved the problem.
I am no longer allergic, although I am somewhat "intolerant." Still, I
detest the taste of milk--possibly psychological from all the times I
became sick--and I get very little milk. I put a small amount on my
oatmeal, but that's about it. When I visited my sister for Christmas,
she had rice milk. I actually liked it, and it did not cause any ill
effects.

MaryL

I have been using rice milk for several years and like it. We have two
brands he Rice Dream and Pacific. I like both of them. MLB
Old January 22nd 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On 1/21/2010 5:27 PM, MaryL wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Pat" wrote in message
news

"CatNipped" wrote

| The problem started with her second child, now a nine-month-old little
girl.
| The baby is *SO* allergic to the cats that she has to have special
breathing
| treatments every night, and there have been times when she's had to be
taken
| to the emergency room when they thought her throat may be closing
up. She
| gets very sick for days at a time when exposed to the cats

I can't help with finding homes for the cats, but I would ask if they
are
giving cow's milk to the baby, that can greatly exacerbate allergies.
You
might suggest if they are giving cow's milk (even to the older child) to
find a substitute and see what happens.... What harm could it do, and
might
even solve the whole problem.

No, she's still breast feeding.

That is still a good suggestion to consider. I was born allergic to all
forms of milk. That was long enough ago that they still didn't have many
of the substitutes for formula that are readily available now, and there
was a period when my life was at risk. My mother said they eventually
got something from the Mayo Clinic that solved the problem. I am no
longer allergic, although I am somewhat "intolerant." Still, I detest
the taste of milk--possibly psychological from all the times I became
sick--and I get very little milk. I put a small amount on my oatmeal,
but that's about it. When I visited my sister for Christmas, she had
rice milk. I actually liked it, and it did not cause any ill effects.

MaryL

My cousin was told that she was allergic to her cats, and that she
should get rid of them. She took them to her parent's house, where she
could still see them when she went to visit. She still had asthma
attacks long after the cats were gone, so she went back to the dr's for
more testing. Her tests came back NEGATIVE for cat allergies, but
allergies to mold, mildew and dust mites were still severe. Her GP came
up with the theory that her cats were transferring the mold/mildew/dust
mites to her when she cuddled with them.

If I were the mom, I would be watching what I eat, as allergens can be
transferred through breast milk. My daughter was allergic to tomatoes,
and when I would eat them and then nurse her, she would break out in a
rash - not hives, but close. She would be miserable, and so would I.
Took me a few times to make the connection, but when I did it made her a
lot happier.

It is hard when you have a child that is so allergic.

Good luck to the little one!
Mishi

Old January 22nd 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Pat" wrote in message
news
"CatNipped" wrote

| The problem started with her second child, now a nine-month-old
little
girl.
| The baby is *SO* allergic to the cats that she has to have special
breathing
| treatments every night, and there have been times when she's had to
be
taken
| to the emergency room when they thought her throat may be closing up.
She
| gets very sick for days at a time when exposed to the cats

I can't help with finding homes for the cats, but I would ask if they
are
giving cow's milk to the baby, that can greatly exacerbate allergies.
You
might suggest if they are giving cow's milk (even to the older child)
find a substitute and see what happens.... What harm could it do, and
might
even solve the whole problem.

No, she's still breast feeding.

That is still a good suggestion to consider. I was born allergic to all
forms of milk. That was long enough ago that they still didn't have many
of the substitutes for formula that are readily available now, and there
was a period when my life was at risk. My mother said they eventually
got something from the Mayo Clinic that solved the problem. I am no
longer allergic, although I am somewhat "intolerant." Still, I detest
the taste of milk--possibly psychological from all the times I became
sick--and I get very little milk. I put a small amount on my oatmeal,
but that's about it. When I visited my sister for Christmas, she had rice
milk. I actually liked it, and it did not cause any ill effects.

MaryL

Soy milk and formula have been around for a very long time, though not
everyone tolerates them. When Charlie was a baby his family had to buy a
goat for him. Glad he out grew that!

Jo

I don't know what product finally worked for me. My mother used to talk
about the difficulties. She said I was allergic to all forms of milk (at
least, all that was tried)--breast milk, cow's milk, goat's milk, etc.--and
to the various formulas that they tried. I was a newborn and was kept in
the hospital during that time because they had not found anything that I
could tolderate. Finally, they got some type of formula from the Mayo
Clinic that worked. By the time my brother was born three years later (with
a similar problem, but not quite as severe), a more readily available
formula had been produced that worked for him.

MaryL

Old January 22nd 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default For Those in Fortworth / Dallas Area - Pictures

http://www.possibleplaces.com/abbie.jpg

http://www.possibleplaces.com/mel.jpg

Hugs,

CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message
My HR representative's sister has two cats, one male (white) called Mel,
and one female (black - and very tiny, almost the size of a kitten) called
Abby. They are between 6 and 7 years old, and they are VERY beloved pets.
They are really sweet tempered and don't mind children (I'm not sure if
they've ever been around dogs, though).

Even though her 9-year-old is allergic to cats, she made special efforts
to keep the house dander-free, wiping the cats down with that special
solution every day, pulled up carpet, put in mini-blinds instead of
curtains - everything you could think of. And the situation worked out
well enough, the 9 year old still has pretty severe allergy attacks, but
loves the cats enough to put up with it, and medications that will ease
the symptoms.

The problem started with her second child, now a nine-month-old little
girl. The baby is *SO* allergic to the cats that she has to have special
breathing treatments every night, and there have been times when she's had
to be taken to the emergency room when they thought her throat may be
closing up. She gets very sick for days at a time when exposed to the
cats (they try to keep them away from her, but the cats have always been
their children too and it's hard to have a family living in two separate
sections of a home).

That they still have the cats, and will until they find an appropriate,
loving home for them, tells you how much they love these little ones -
they're going to be heartbroken when they are gone. However, the life of
their 9-month-old baby is at stake so they know that they MUST find new
homes for them.

They are willing to drive any distance at all to give the cats a shot at a
good life with good people. They said that they are willing to separate
the two but would LOVE it if they can find a home for them where they can
stay together. They live in Fort Worth, Texas.

My HR Rep is getting pictures of her sister's cats for me to post later.

*ANY* help in finding homes for these two little masters would be very,
very, very appreciated. I'm hoping that, since it's not quite kitten
season yet, that they might find homes or at least be taken in at a
no-kill pet adoption service.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 22nd 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
http://www.possibleplaces.com/abbie.jpg

http://www.possibleplaces.com/mel.jpg

Lovely. Mel isn't really white, but a gorgeous flame point with
lovely blue eyes.

Jo

Old January 23rd 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Jofirey" wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
http://www.possibleplaces.com/abbie.jpg

http://www.possibleplaces.com/mel.jpg

Lovely. Mel isn't really white, but a gorgeous flame point with
lovely blue eyes.

Very pretty, the both of them.