For those in the U.S. - State Veterinarians

Old July 26th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default For those in the U.S. - State Veterinarians

I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a State
Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state motto, etc.
They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck of a lot of
funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

Jill

Old July 26th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a State
Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state motto, etc.
They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck of a lot of
funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

Jill

I think the role of a state veterinarian is somewhat comparable to the role
of the Surgeon General of the U.S. for hoomin health care. They monitor
animal diseases and make recommendations (for example, requirements for
rabies innoculations, updates on sarcoma sites causes by innoculations,
etc.) It sure is a low profile job, though.

MaryL

Old July 26th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a
State Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state
motto, etc. They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck of
a lot of funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

Jill

I think the role of a state veterinarian is somewhat comparable to the
role of the Surgeon General of the U.S. for hoomin health care. They
monitor animal diseases and make recommendations (for example,
requirements for rabies innoculations, updates on sarcoma sites causes by
innoculations, etc.) It sure is a low profile job, though.

MaryL

I'm sure it's a political appointment and they don't have to do much, if
anything. I was just glad to find if I buy the license plate that says "No
More Homeless Pets" some of the money will go to spay/neuter programs in the
state

Jill

Old July 26th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know - I rather assumed that our equivalent was a regular civil
service position and not one of the political appointments, which in
Canada are limited to a few positions relating directly to, well,
politics. Like the Premier's political advisor.

Ours does stuff like what's listed above, including writing and
distributing all kinds of animal information. He's also the guy at the
pointy end of things when wild animals are reported to be bringing in
rabies, or wild birds drop dead unexpectedly and people think they might
be carrying some kind of flu humans can get.

I'm pretty sure we also have some other government vets, specializing in
things like fish or farm animals.

--
Cheryl P.
Old July 26th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a
State Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state
motto, etc. They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck
of a lot of funding).

That's news to me, too! (I would imagine they specialize in large
animals, and are most active in agricultural states where livestock is a
commercial "product".)
Old July 26th 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:08:39 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a State
Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state motto, etc.
They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck of a lot of
funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

The state veterinarian is supposed to oversee livestock health. He
can order disease control measures for animal diseases like hoof and
mouth or tuberculosis. He also is on the state veterinary medical
board that licenses veterinarians.

Bud
Old July 26th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a State
Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state motto, etc.
They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck of a lot of
funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

Jill

Kewl! I never knew that!

Joy

Old July 27th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

jmcquown wrote:
I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a
State Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state
motto, etc. They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck
of a lot of funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

Jill

Some of these job titles make me think of cows in scrub suits or dogs
cutting wood.

Pam S giggling
Old July 27th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
jmcquown wrote:
I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a
State Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state
motto, etc. They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck of
a lot of funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

Jill

Some of these job titles make me think of cows in scrub suits or dogs
cutting wood.

Pam S giggling

What, not Dogs Playing Poker? Heheh When I was a kid we lived in a
rental house in Annandale, Virginia. And in the finished basement there was
a bar. Along the wall behind the bar was a mural of Dogs Playing Poker.
What a hoot!

My mom talked Dad into letting my brother get a kitten. She (Princess, RB)
was a red tabby, and absolutely a kitten. She'd get the zoomies, oh boy!
She'd run from one end of the basement to the other, bounce off the wall and
shoot into the laundry room. LOL She was also leash trained. My brother
would walk her up and down the street on a leash. And in the fall, she was
outside on a leash in the back yard. I remember watching her dive into the
piles of leaves my dad had raked up. It was funny!

Then we got transferred to Thailand. The restrictions on bringing pets were
too much. So we gave Princess to their SIL, who had 4 or five other cats.

Jill

Old July 27th 10, 08:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

I learn something new every day I had *no idea* every state has a
State
Veterinarian! Much like every state has a state bird, a state motto, etc.
They sure don't get any publicity (and probably not a heck of a lot of
funding). Here's a link to the list, just an FYI:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1301&aid=390

The state veterinarian is supposed to oversee livestock health. He
can order disease control measures for animal diseases like hoof and
mouth or tuberculosis. He also is on the state veterinary medical
board that licenses veterinarians.

Bud

Yeah, and in SC apparently also oversees a TNR program for feral cats

Jill