Fly Strip

Old March 28th 04, 04:52 PM
Stacey

Default Fly Strip

For the last month or so, we have been inundated with cluster flies all over
the house. Though the kitties love them, I'm getting tired of checking my
pop (soda) cans for floaters before drinking, so I went out and got myself
some fly strips.

My gosh, these things are STICKY! If some of it gets on your skin, you have
to use rubbing alcohol to remove it. ICK. They don't smell bad and are
non-toxic, though, so once you get them hung up, you basically forget they
are there.

Until your cat comes walking in with one stuck to his side. Egads. How the
heck did Mr. Bob get UP that high to get stuck on the flystrip? Especially
since he is the cat least likely to extend any energy besides eating!

Anyway, DH carefully removed the flystrip, but with some pain and discomfort
from Mr. Bob, no matter how careful he was. Now Mr. Bob has sticky gooey
stuff all over his fur. I'm going to give it a week or so to see if he can
clean it off himself (checked with TED, she said it wouldn't make him sick
to digest it), then it's off to the groomer for a bath and/or a shave if
necessary. Poor Mr. Bob.

Stacey

Old March 28th 04, 05:28 PM
Marina

"Stacey" wrote

Until your cat comes walking in with one stuck to his side. Egads. How the
heck did Mr. Bob get UP that high to get stuck on the flystrip? Especially
since he is the cat least likely to extend any energy besides eating!

Aww, poor Mr Bob! Maybe he jumped after a fly? Purrs from us that the icky
stuff wears off by itself.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 28th 04, 05:48 PM
jmcquown

Stacey wrote:
[...]

AWWWW! Mr. Bob jumped up *high*! Maybe you can order some of those cat bath
wipes from the Drs. Foster & Smith catalog to be delivered pronto. I use
them to 'bathe' Persia.

Jill

Old March 29th 04, 12:31 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Marina wrote:

"Stacey" wrote

Until your cat comes walking in with one stuck to his side. Egads. How the
heck did Mr. Bob get UP that high to get stuck on the flystrip? Especially
since he is the cat least likely to extend any energy besides eating!

Aww, poor Mr Bob! Maybe he jumped after a fly? Purrs from us that the icky
stuff wears off by itself.

Ummmm..... I don't think you'd WANT to let it do that - isn't that stuff
poisonous? (Even a dog would be likely to lick it's side if there were
something sticky on its fur, there.)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 29th 04, 02:26 AM
Stacey

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Marina wrote:

"Stacey" wrote

Until your cat comes walking in with one stuck to his side. Egads. How

the
heck did Mr. Bob get UP that high to get stuck on the flystrip?

Especially
since he is the cat least likely to extend any energy besides eating!

Aww, poor Mr Bob! Maybe he jumped after a fly? Purrs from us that the

icky
stuff wears off by itself.

Ummmm..... I don't think you'd WANT to let it do that - isn't that stuff
poisonous? (Even a dog would be likely to lick it's side if there were
something sticky on its fur, there.)

Nope, it says "Non toxic" on the packaging (checked before purchasing) and
TeD said it wouldn't make him sick!

Stacey

Old March 29th 04, 05:05 AM
Hopitus2

I didn't think those "fly paper strips" were poisonous.....in themselves.
Thought the idea was to "trap" fly so it can't get away (stuck to paper) and
it like starves to death? Not the quickest, but at least harmless to other
species.....

"Stacey" wrote in message
:
: "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
: message ...
:
:
: Marina wrote:
:
: "Stacey" wrote
:

Old March 29th 04, 06:15 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 29th 04, 09:19 AM
Hopitus2

Not a day goes by that I don't learn something on this ng......this
cat-loving ng. Flies lick their feet? ROFL. Of course, I knew they had feet,
but one rarely thinks of them grooming themselves.

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
:
: --
: John F. Eldredge --
: PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu
: "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better
: than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria
:

Old March 29th 04, 04:10 PM
Adrian

Stacey wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Mr. Bob
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 29th 04, 07:42 PM
Yowie

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
news
Not a day goes by that I don't learn something on this ng......this
cat-loving ng. Flies lick their feet? ROFL. Of course, I knew they had

feet,
but one rarely thinks of them grooming themselves.

IIRC, flies *taste* with their feet!

And if you do watch one fly for a wile, you can see that they are quite
meticulous groomers. Jus tthat their spit isn't exactly "clean" for us
hoomins.

Yowie