For those of us with d*gs

Old November 18th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default For those of us with d*gs

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Christina Websell wrote:
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
My vet charges $50.00 for a bath for Happy (my Basset Hound). A
pedicure is an extra $15. So I asked this other vet what they
would charge for the same two things. Bath was $35 and pedicure
was $12. So, I don't know if I'd change vets or not. Lets face
it, I live in upstate NY, and it is EXPENSIVE!!

Do you have a bath in your house? If so, buy some dog shampoo,
plonk him it and do it yourself. Likewise buy a nail clipper. Saves a
fortune here ;-)

Tweed

I have the impression the OP may be physically unable to bathe her
own dog. Remember, she just had her cat PTS because additional
surgery would have been too expensive. (That being the case, it's
hard to imagine her being willing to spend money having her dog
bathed if she is able to do it herself.)

Ah, yes. I almost forgot that.. It's a fact that short haired dogs
like Bassets can go almost their whole lives without needing to be
bathed if they are groomed regularly. Unless they roll in fox poo
of course, but even then tomato juice and a dip in the tub will sort
it out. It is not necessary to bath short haired dogs on a regular
basis, let alone to pay $35 for it. I would do it for half that ;-)

Can't lift my 80 lb. Basset into my bathtub. Since he has the long
back, I would never jeopardize his back like that. He doesn't roll
in poop... he's smarter than that. But he does get that gamey hound
smell. Hence, a bath once a month or so.

Dunno if it would work for you, but we 'bath' Fluffy by just going outside
and playing with the hose. She'll happily try to catch, nip and herd the
stream of water, and when she's good and soggy, we give her an 'all over
patting' that just happens to involve a bar of soap. Once we have her soaped
up, we go back to playing with the hose. She does most of the work herself.

Even more fun now that The Yowlet can control the hose reasonably well -
although its best done on a sunny day whilst wearing my swimming costume or
other clothes I don't mind getting totally saturated. Nothing more fun on a
sunny day than a good water fight (with a bit of dog bathing in between).

Yowie
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

Old November 18th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
My vet charges $50.00 for a bath for Happy (my Basset Hound). A
pedicure is an extra $15. So I asked this other vet what they
would charge for the same two things. Bath was $35 and pedicure
was $12. So, I don't know if I'd change vets or not. Lets face it,
I live in upstate NY, and it is EXPENSIVE!!

I am be grateful to live here where the groomer that shares the
building with the vet gives Kayla, my Border Collie a bath and brush
out for $15. Nails not needed, she runs them off.

Jo

LOL! "Runs them off" indeed - what Border Collie doesn't? ; I
think the only more active dog is a Jack Russell terrier.

Fluffy clearly didn't inherit the 'active' genes from her border collie
half. She'd be happy sleeping on the couch all day. LOL

Yowie
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

Old November 18th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Yowie kirjoitti:
CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
My vet charges $50.00 for a bath for Happy (my Basset Hound). A
pedicure is an extra $15. So I asked this other vet what they
would charge for the same two things. Bath was $35 and pedicure
was $12. So, I don't know if I'd change vets or not. Lets face it,
I live in upstate NY, and it is EXPENSIVE!!

I am be grateful to live here where the groomer that shares the
building with the vet gives Kayla, my Border Collie a bath and brush
out for $15. Nails not needed, she runs them off.

Jo

LOL! "Runs them off" indeed - what Border Collie doesn't? ; I
think the only more active dog is a Jack Russell terrier.

Fluffy clearly didn't inherit the 'active' genes from her border collie
half. She'd be happy sleeping on the couch all day. LOL

Yowie

But didn't Fluffy think she's a kind of cat??

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 18th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

;-)

[...]

Sounds like a grand old time. Kayla would love it. Only problem is
her unerring ability to make mud given the smallest amount of water.

In the summer she get hosed down almost every day, and even has her
own kiddie pool. Part of her sheep dog training was teaching her to
jump in a water trough to cool off. And rinse off.

She even knows once she has been hosed off for the day to go lie down
until she is dry enough to come inside.

Just once in a while she needs a better sudsing and brushing than I
can manage physically.

Jo

Old November 18th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Christine K" wrote in message

Yowie kirjoitti:
CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message
[...]

Well, yes, there is that

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old November 18th 08, 10:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Our water comes from Skaneatlas Lake. (One of the five finger lakes here in
upstate NY). Even in the summer, the water from the tap or hose is ice
cold. Happy would not be Happy!!

But it is nice having a cold drink of water from the faucet when it's hot
out!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Yowie
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

Old November 18th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
Can't lift my 80 lb. Basset into my bathtub. Since he has the long
back, I would never jeopardize his back like that. He doesn't roll
in poop... he's smarter than that. But he does get that gamey hound
smell. Hence, a bath once a month or so.

He should not be weighing 80lb. He is far too fat at that.

http://www.dogs.info/dogbreeds/bassethound/

Tweed

Set the breed weight aside for the moment, Tweed. I don't know what
Laurie's medical conditions/physical limitations are. I personally don't
have any medical conditions (except diverticulitis) and I cannot easily lift
20 lbs. I have a hard time lifting a 10 lb. jug of kitty litter and those
have nice big sturdy handles.

Also, my dog Sampson (RB 1999) was a small short-haired mutt. He was an
indoor dog and he still stunk from time to time, especially after I had to
walk him in the rain. I bathed him once a month. Some people may have said
he didn't need it but it was much more pleasant when he smelled fresh and
clean.

Jill

Old November 18th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, but Tweed is a bitch. Happy is NOT overweight at all. His
father was a BLUE RIBBON champ at 80 lbs. His mother was 45 lbs. and had to
artificially inseminated because of the weight difference. Happy is of
perfect weight for his body and is a BEAUTIFUL Basset Hound. Tweed is an
ignorant **** who is just LOOKING for stuff to pick at. Anyone want to see
a pic of Happy, I'll be MORE than pleased to send.

Tweed, you're a heartless bitch.

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old November 18th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
My vet charges $50.00 for a bath for Happy (my Basset Hound). A pedicure
is an extra $15. So I asked this other vet what they would charge for
the same two things. Bath was $35 and pedicure was $12. So, I don't
know if I'd change vets or not. Lets face it, I live in upstate NY, and
it is EXPENSIVE!!

Do you have a bath in your house? If so, buy some dog shampoo, plonk him
it and do it yourself. Likewise buy a nail clipper. Saves a fortune here
;-)

BTW, Miss Know It All, Bassets are KNOWN to hate having their nails clipped.
It takes TWO techs to hold him down to do his pedicure. Everyone else here
gets their peds by me.

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old November 18th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gracecat

On Nov 18, 6:38*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

My father owns a registered basset, she's active, slim and healthy.
She's fairly "young", about four years old. I cannot tell you her
weight, but as a typical size basset, and a 30 year old that carries
around a toddler.... I cannot pick up Apple. She's too heavy. If
anyone has any debilitating condition where they cannot pick up over
thirty pounds (about the size of a two year old), then a basset is
damned impossible.

I have a bad ankle that I broke 18 months ago. Any weight on it causes
me to stumble. Add a wiggling wet dog to this and I'd break another
leg on the slippery bathroom floor.

Tweed, you've had your say. We know how you feel about her decision.
Enough, really. Back off.

This is one of the reason's I've come back and left right after again.
This behavior makes me wonder what was said about me behind my back
after Eve's death. RPCA is not what it was seven and eight years
ago.