Cat Sneaking Into Hallway at apartment complex

Old July 16th 03, 09:03 PM
Jessica W

Default Cat Sneaking Into Hallway at apartment complex

I have a 4 year old Persian cat who has always been an indoor cat.
We've had him since he was about 12 weeks old. We have moved 3 times
since we first got him. He's an "only cat." We do have plenty of
places for him to get sun and he has plenty of things to keep him
occupied.

The issue that I'm having now is that we live in an apartment complex
with a hallway and Furby, our cat, has now taken to trying to get out
into the hallway to explore. He tries to follow me out practically
every time I go out now. I am disabled and don't work out of the home
so Furby is used to me being home most of the time. I'm in a
wheelchair so it's not always easy to corral him and get him back into
the apartment. Sometimes he follows me right back in, others he tries
to explore the hallway, etc.

I'm wondering if Furby thinks the hallway is just another room in the
apartment and he's just following me into that room like he typically
does. Does that make sense? If so, do you have any tips for training
him not to follow me into the hallway?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jess