More blame the cat...

Old February 9th 05, 07:16 PM
KellyH

Default More blame the cat...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6939362/

Sorry I didn't quote the text, it was hard to grab with all the graphics.

Why does the headline have to say "Cat Box Infection"? I'm guessing the
woman got it from the undercooked eggs.
This issue really gets to me, as a pregnant woman with 6 cats.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 9th 05, 09:08 PM
Karen

I'm guessing underdone eggs is right. And also, I know a lady who lived on
a farm who got it, and was treated during pregnancy and her baby was fine.
So don't you go worrying. Take the right precautions and go to your doc when
you are supposed to.

Old February 9th 05, 09:08 PM
KellyH

"Karen" wrote in message
I'm guessing underdone eggs is right. And also, I know a lady who lived
on
a farm who got it, and was treated during pregnancy and her baby was fine.
So don't you go worrying. Take the right precautions and go to your doc
when
you are supposed to.

Oh, I'm not worried about it for myself. I know the chances are so remote,
esp with indoor-only cats. What gets me is how quickly people blame the
cat, instead of the more likely causes of toxoplasmosis.

Old February 9th 05, 09:34 PM
Joe Canuck

KellyH wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6939362/

Sorry I didn't quote the text, it was hard to grab with all the graphics.

Why does the headline have to say "Cat Box Infection"? I'm guessing the
woman got it from the undercooked eggs.
This issue really gets to me, as a pregnant woman with 6 cats.

The headline actually said:

"Prenatal testing urged for 'cat box' infection"

With the next line being:

"Toxoplasmosis can cause blindness, brain damage in newborns"

And yes, it might "get to you" if you are not careful. Note I said *might*.

Old February 9th 05, 10:17 PM
Elizabeth Blake

The headline actually said:

"Prenatal testing urged for 'cat box' infection"

With the next line being:

"Toxoplasmosis can cause blindness, brain damage in newborns"

And yes, it might "get to you" if you are not careful. Note I said

*might*.

In the article there's a Q&A box at the bottom. The last question is "Can I
keep my cat?" and the Answer box has some very good guidelines that probably
seem very obvious to most people. But nowhere does it blame the cat or say
anything to cause panic. I know plenty of pregnant women who had cats and
nothing happened to any of them, including a single mother who didn't have
anyone to clean the cat box for her.

--
Liz

Old February 9th 05, 11:23 PM
KellyH

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
In the article there's a Q&A box at the bottom. The last question is "Can
keep my cat?" and the Answer box has some very good guidelines that
probably
seem very obvious to most people. But nowhere does it blame the cat or
say
anything to cause panic. I know plenty of pregnant women who had cats and
nothing happened to any of them, including a single mother who didn't have
anyone to clean the cat box for her.

My beef was that the headline referred to toxoplasmosis as "cat box
infection". Why not raw egg or unwashed fruit infection?

Old February 9th 05, 11:39 PM
Joe Canuck

KellyH wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6939362/

Sorry I didn't quote the text, it was hard to grab with all the graphics.

Why does the headline have to say "Cat Box Infection"? I'm guessing the
woman got it from the undercooked eggs.
This issue really gets to me, as a pregnant woman with 6 cats.

Thats right... you are guessing.
Old February 10th 05, 12:31 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Joe Canuck at
wrote on 2/9/05 5:39 PM:

KellyH wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6939362/

Sorry I didn't quote the text, it was hard to grab with all the graphics.

Why does the headline have to say "Cat Box Infection"? I'm guessing the
woman got it from the undercooked eggs.
This issue really gets to me, as a pregnant woman with 6 cats.

Thats right... you are guessing.

True, but consider that if you have a cat, and take proper precautions, the
fact is (and it is FACT) that you are more likely to get Toxo from handling
raw vegetables or meat than from the cat. Direct consumption of undercooked
eggs (which obviously the woman did since that was her other option) is
certainly going to be more likely.

Old February 10th 05, 12:42 AM
Cat Protector

Well the news media has never been friendly towards cats. Here in Arizona
there is a definate bias when it comes to cats. I guess it might have to do
with the fact that a lot of the press are dog lovers.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old February 11th 05, 01:20 AM
Spot

You know what's really bad is 9 times out of 10 it's something she ate
rather than anything to do with the cat.

I went rounds with my dialysis center on this crap about cats and toxo. I
finally had to show the idiots proof positive that my cat tested negative
for this. I know my vet wasn't happy because like she said she had rarely
seen any cats with this disease in her 20 years of practice.

Celeste