What Price For Kitty?

Old February 14th 05, 10:58 PM
Mary

equalizer wrote :

I'm doing well, and in fact in lieu of insurance, I have an emergency
bank account set up for the cats that has about $1600 in it so far. I
put in $10 a week plus whatever interest my savings account makes. Never
the less, each cat (I have 4) has a separate credit card with a $10000
line on each. They've never been used and are stored in my fireproof
safety box. If need be, I'd max 'em out and get more.

This is really great!

Old February 14th 05, 11:07 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-14, Mary penned:

The trouble may lie in one's definition of "flaming." In any case, I don't
pull any punches in real life and I sure as hell will not do it here. I'm
not out to persuade. I am merely having my say.

I've seen that =P It's just not an approach that makes sense to me. Oh,
sure, I fly off the handle sometimes, but I try not to. If I really care
about, for example, getting pets appropriate medical care, it's much more
important for me to try to convince the owner to do so than to yell at them.
Yelling at them is guaranteed to put them on the defensive and make them dig
in their heels. Very few people can take advice from someone they feel is
attacking them. But some people do actually listen if you take the time to
approach them compassionately.

In other words, the best thing for the cats is to keep your temper in check.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 14th 05, 11:34 PM
Mary

On 2005-02-14, Mary penned:

[...]

If you are trying to persuade, sure thing/

In other words, the best thing for the cats is to keep your temper in

check.

I think you overestimate the effect anyone here--including of course me--can
really have on others.

Even if you are not, there are cases in which the best thing is a swift kick
in the ass. I get
really tired of people doing things they KNOW are wrong and looking to
others for
justification for their selfishness. It's bull****.

In any case, I would never dream of shutting you up; I appreciate your
opinion and
your right to express it.

Old February 14th 05, 11:46 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-14, Mary penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

In other words, the best thing for the cats is to keep your temper in
check.

I think you overestimate the effect anyone here--including of course
me--can really have on others.

Well, call me an optimist. I also assume that there are more people lurking
than posting, which means that posts here (anywhere) have a wider audience
than just those who respond. So maybe the individuals we're mad at are beyond
hope, but there could be others who are on the fence and can be persuaded to
either side. I think it's part of human nature to be more receptive to people
who are nice to you, regardless of the validity of their arguments.

Even if you are not, there are cases in which the best thing is a
swift kick in the ass.

True. And there are certainly hopeless cases, where you know they're just
going to ignore you anyway, so they make convenient venting points.

I get really tired of people doing things they KNOW are wrong and
looking to others for justification for their selfishness. It's
bull****.

*nod*

In any case, I would never dream of shutting you up; I appreciate your
opinion and your right to express it.

Why, thank you. I appreciate your opinion and right to express it, too. Then
again, as a card-carrying member of the ACLU, I appreciate everyone's right to
express themselves, even when I hate what they have to say.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Glarb" wrote in message
I've been thinking about this. I have spent huge sums of money on the cat

have had for the past seven or eight years. But I have money, and I don't
think about it. But if I didn't have money -- let's say living from
paycheck to paycheck -- and the vet came in and said, "$850 for labwork

and
surgery." Forgive me, but I would probably have to draw the line there

and
have the poor thing put to rest. I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

Glarb

Would depend upon the prognosis. If the prognosis were lousy, then I
probably wouldn't do "x". If it were good, I'd go ahead, & worry the $$
aspect of it later - putting it on a CC, & then paying it off. Most likely
withdrawing from savings to pay the CC bill on time & in full, since it's
more economical that way, in the long run (than paying bit by bit on the cc
balance, while the interest mounts up). If I had no appreciable savings to
fall back on, then there'd be no choice but to chip away at a large cc bill,
month by month.

Cathy

Old February 14th 05, 11:59 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Glarb" wrote in message
news
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
It's a scary question, but I'm sure that all of us have wondered at one
time
or another how much we could really afford to spend to keep our loved

ones
alive. That's one of the reasons so many folks talk about either having
pet
insurance or keeping a separate account just for pet emergencies.

For a family member I would sacrifice everything, including my own life.
There is a strict limit on the cat, however. Come on people, get real.

For many people - even those with children, pets *are* members of their
family.

Cathy

Old February 15th 05, 12:00 AM
Steve G

Mary wrote:
"Glarb" wrote:

I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

What the hell is wrong with you?

What a bizarre response to a reasonable question.

Steve.

Old February 15th 05, 12:02 AM
Steve G

Mary wrote:

Okay. "Real" is that you don't love your cats the way
many of us do. Takes all kinds. But don't expect
anyone to congratulate you for this.

Are you saying you would sacrifice your life for your cat(s)?

Steve.

Old February 15th 05, 12:17 AM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:
"Glarb" wrote:

I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

What the hell is wrong with you?

What a bizarre response to a reasonable question.

Steve.

Why, thank you, Steve.

Old February 15th 05, 12:18 AM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:

Okay. "Real" is that you don't love your cats the way
many of us do. Takes all kinds. But don't expect
anyone to congratulate you for this.

Are you saying you would sacrifice your life for your cat(s)?

How does that follow?