Anybody have a Ragdoll kitty?

Old December 6th 03, 07:29 AM
-L.

"Mary" wrote in message . com...
"Yngver" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:

You have never had one, yet you refuse to believe what those who

have
them say about them. I find that a little strange.

First off, I have a friend who has one and I've certainly been

around Ragdolls
at cat shows--enough to know what they are like.

Secondly, the type of silly myth I'm talking about is the story that

Ragdolls
can't feel pain, for example. I'm sure you don't believe that, do

you? Or that
they are hypo-allergenic. Or that they are completely unable to

defend
themselves.

No, you were not only talking about that. For every characteristic
Soozy brought up, your answer was "big deal, lots of cats do this," or
"not all Ragdolls do this." It is a recognized breed.

So what? What does that mean? Not all ragdolls exhibit the behaviors
you describe, so I guess it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot, does
it?

Just because you
don't happen to like these characteristics, or this breed does not
mean that they are not wonderful cats. Just like "L"'s rude comment
about them being stupid, your post displayed ignorance and prejudice
more than anything else. Unnecessarily antagonistic to those who have
and love Ragdolls.

Just as you claim ragdolls are docile, "go limp" and are the
wondercats, IME, the ones I have met *are* stupid - they are a cat
that would sit there and let itself be mauled, rather than defend
itself. Not exactly survival of the fittest, IYKWIM... My anecdotal
generalization and your anecdotal generalizations aren't much
different from each other, other than the fact that yours are
pro-ragdoll, and mine are not.

Furthermore, the "traits" you claim are unique to ragdolls - that they
supposedly have been bred for - certainly are not. There are many
moggies, Persians, Egyptian Maus, Scottish folds, etc., etc., that
exhibit the same characteristics. Someone who wants a docile,
limp-going, mellow cat can walk into any shelter in the US, pick up
kittens one at a time turn them over on their backs and assess them
for these traits. There is no need to pay hundreds of dollars for
something that is not unique. Unless, of course, you happen to like
the look, but then again, the look is rather color-pointed
moggie-like, in many regards. Again, not something you cannot find in
a shelter.

The point is, the organization in the UK cited in the article tried to
prove that the ragdoll breed was unique in some *tangible* way. They
could not. The ragdoll myth is just that - a myth. Like it or not,
you've bought into the myth and have been duped. The woman who
orginally bred the cats was a nutcase:

"As time went on, Ann Baker’s statements and claims about the
breed became strange, supernatural - and - very hard to believe. She
publicized statements outlining how Ragdoll cats have human genes in
them, that they are immune to pain & that they represent a link
between us and space aliens."

She set up her own registery club, in order to "control" the breeding
and to be self-promoting:

"In 1971, Baker created her own cat registry & association known as
IRCA (International Ragdoll Cat Association). Since then, she has been
in bitter debate about how only her Ragdolls are legitimate and the
rest are fake.

In December 1975 Ann Baker had the name "Ragdoll" patented for the
first time. The patent is valid until the year 2005, and allows only
IRCA breeders to use the name."

Sources:
http://www.ragdoll-cats.com/history.htm

Not a whole lot of credibility...

Like they say, "There is a sucker born every minute."

-L.
Old December 6th 03, 02:40 PM
Mary

"-L." Just as you claim ragdolls are docile, "go limp" and are the
wondercats, IME, the ones I have met *are* stupid - they are a cat
that would sit there and let itself be mauled, rather than defend
itself. Not exactly survival of the fittest, IYKWIM...

Okay, sunshine, get with the program, will you? *I* never claimed
anything about Ragdolls. Others who have them have had a lot to say
about them, as we all have a lot to say about our cats here.

My anecdotal
generalization and your anecdotal generalizations aren't much
different from each other, other than the fact that yours are
pro-ragdoll, and mine are not.

I am pro- "all kinds of cats."

[...]

Yes, well, I feel certain that you are ugly and that your mother
dressed you funny when you were a child. Now that I have reduced the
discourse to your level I'm sure you feel better.

Now pop on over to rec.pets.dogs.health+behav and trash whatever breed
you find "dumb as a rock." It's the weekend. Might as well live a
little.

Old December 6th 03, 02:40 PM
Mary

My Georgie looked like that. He was one of two kittens we kept from

litter when I was about 11. He was the BEST cat!

Oh no he wasn't. He sucked.

Old December 6th 03, 02:40 PM
Mary

Old December 6th 03, 04:01 PM
~*SooZy*~

"Mary" wrote in message
om...

I prefer skinny, wiry, active and vocal little tabby cat mutts around
my house, but that doesn't mean Ragdolls are not perfectly charming

cut

Mary did you see the pictures of Bebe my skinny tabby moggie, she is half
Ragdoll believe it or not LOL she had 6 kittens, 4 Ragdoll look-a-likes and
one pure grey and one tabby grey, they all are beautiful 8 weeks old
tomorrow. She was bred with a pure Ragdoll.

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Old December 6th 03, 04:01 PM
~*SooZy*~

"Yngver" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:

No, you were not only talking about that.

Sorry you misunderstood that point, but yes indeed, those were the silly

myths
I was referring to.

For every characteristic
Soozy brought up, your answer was "big deal, lots of cats do this,"

Well, your paraphrase puts a different tone on it. But yes, those traits

are
not unique to Ragdolls.

or
"not all Ragdolls do this."

I don't recall that, but my point remains that most of those traits can be
possessed by all sorts of cats. To think such traits are only found in

Ragdolls
is incorrect.

It is a recognized breed.

That's true, but most of those traits named were not specific breed
characteristics.

Just because you
don't happen to like these characteristics,

I didn't say that. In fact, I never said I don't like Ragdolls.

or this breed does not
mean that they are not wonderful cats.

Never said they aren't, but I think to try to perpetuate such myths about

them
is silly. If it's such a wonderful breed, what's the point of dreaming up
nonsense to try to distinguish them from other breeds? The cats should be
appreciated for what they really are.

Just like "L"'s rude comment
about them being stupid, your post displayed ignorance and prejudice
more than anything else. Unnecessarily antagonistic to those who have
and love Ragdolls.

Whatever. IMO it's a bit ignorant to fall for absurb myths and tales.

Ragdolls
and other breeds of cats are fine animals without the exaggerations and

false
claims.

I prefer skinny, wiry, active and vocal little tabby cat mutts around
my house, but that doesn't mean Ragdolls are not perfectly charming
and certainly does not mean that they are not a recognized breed with
a set of known characteristics.

Yes, but those named were not their genuine characteristics.

They appear to be perfect for small
children, for example, because they can be dragged around and dressed
up in doll clothes without removing any of the child's skin.

If small children need to maul cats without being scratched, they should

be
given stuffed animals. No cat should be mistreated, even those who are

willing
to suffer in silence.

I have a daughter of nearly 5 my Ragdolls keep well away from her, they
don't like her rushing about. She is allowed to sit and stroke them but
only if they come to her.