Anybody have a Ragdoll kitty?

Old December 4th 03, 08:44 PM
Joe Canuck

~*SooZy*~ wrote:

A cat that is so laid back, it goes limp when you stroke it.

Mine does this often. She will also roll over on her back.

A cat you can teach to fetch things.

I play fetch with mine all the time. Her favorite fetch game is when I
throw bits of kibble which she promptly consumes. If I throw an rolled
up ball of paper she will return it and drop it in front of me for
another round. If I don't throw it she will protest with a few meows.

A cat you can walk on a leash.

I've never tried this.

A cat you will never find on top of the fridge because it can't be bothered
to jump up.

Exactly. Mine also leaves the Christmas tree alone.

A cat that weighs upwards of 20 pounds.

My female is now very close to 18 pounds.

A Ragdoll is a breed of cat that began about 30 years ago in Riverside,
California, with the help of a woman named Ann Baker. Ann recognized
something very special about her neighbors' cats, and decided to further
them and 'create' her own breed, the IRCA Ragdoll.

It seems Ms. Baker used to market her ragdolls by tossing them in the air to
show how they would go limp as they waited to be caught rather than lashing
out with their claws.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old December 4th 03, 09:42 PM
Yngver

~*SooZy*~" wrote:

A cat that is so laid back, it goes limp when you stroke it.

Lots of cats do that. My sister's Persian cat did that.

A cat you can teach to fetch things.

LOL. Lots of cats can be taught to fetch. We have one that just started doing
it on her own. That's not specific to Ragdolls.

A cat you can walk on a leash.

IMO you can teach almost any cat to walk on a leash. All of our cats are leash
trained.

A cat you will never find on top of the fridge because it can't be bothered
to jump up.

Two of our three are like this, and none of them are Ragdolls.

A cat that weighs upwards of 20 pounds.

Like Maine Coons?

A Ragdoll is a breed of cat that began about 30 years ago in Riverside,
California, with the help of a woman named Ann Baker. Ann recognized
something very special about her neighbors' cats, and decided to further
them and 'create' her own breed, the IRCA Ragdoll.

There are a lot of "stories" and controversy surrounding Ann Baker and the
origin of the Ragdoll. Seems like she wanted to make the origin seem
mysterious.

It seems Ms. Baker used to market her ragdolls by tossing them in the air to
show how they would go limp as they waited to be caught rather than lashing
out with their claws.

I guess that might appeal to some people. I mean, Ragdolls are beautiful cats
but the number of silly myths that float around about them has always been kind
of a turn-off for me. Breeding cats for their capacity to go limp just seems a
little strange to me--but that's just me.

Old December 5th 03, 12:10 AM
Mary

"~*SooZy*~" wrote in message

No honestly! :-) its believed Ragdolls are more relaxed and floppy,

you
read it on so many Ragdoll sites.

I'm agreeing with you! Just saying that just because they have the
same sort of nervous system as other cats (as "L" stated) does not
mean they are not floppy and laid back!

well they are heavy, dead weight and just hang there, no springy if

you know
whatI mean like Moggies :-)

That's what she is like!

awwwwww poor baby :-( have you taken a picture yet? looking

forward to
seeing her

Wish I had a digital camera. Maybe my neighbor does. I'll try!

Old December 5th 03, 06:43 AM
-L.

ospam (Yngver) wrote in message ...
~*SooZy*~"
wrote:

[...]

I agree. IME, the ones I have known are dumber than rocks.

-L.