Nowhere is safe!

Old July 11th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default Nowhere is safe!

Tessie is small, lightweight and athletic... in short a born
high-jumper! If you hold out a feather-on-a-stick she can jump about
a foot higher than the doorknob from a standing start!

Scouty has trouble getting her hind-end off the ground without a
running start because she's too heavy... Silver is too lazy to jump
ANYWHERE (although she scrambles up the cat tree on occasion). But
Tessie bounds about the apartment as if she was living on the moon.
Which leads to the sad realisation (well, sad for us...) that NOWHERE
in the apartment is safe from her! She makes the kitchen counter from
a standing start, however many times I shoo her down...

Our neighbours came back from their trip last week and gave me a nice
bunch of flowers, so I put them up on top of the entertainment unit to
make them cat-proof... or at least I THOUGHT they were catproof. Alas
the pretty flowers just gave Tessie the incentive she needed to jump
from the top of the cat tree onto the unit so she could stroll across
and check them out! Since then it's become a new recreational activity
for her, and when I got home from church on Sunday, the pewter dragon
ornament was in the middle of the livingroom floor instead of up on
top of my stereo I was just standing next to the stereo looking at
a flyer and I heard a 'mew' from behind my shoulder, and then Tessie
was again... she's incorrigable!
Old July 11th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
Tessie is small, lightweight and athletic... in short a born
high-jumper! If you hold out a feather-on-a-stick she can jump about
a foot higher than the doorknob from a standing start!

Scouty has trouble getting her hind-end off the ground without a
running start because she's too heavy... Silver is too lazy to jump
ANYWHERE (although she scrambles up the cat tree on occasion). But
Tessie bounds about the apartment as if she was living on the moon.
Which leads to the sad realisation (well, sad for us...) that NOWHERE
in the apartment is safe from her! She makes the kitchen counter from
a standing start, however many times I shoo her down...

The late lamented Feather could reach the top of the refrigerator
without any apparent effort. The first time he did this, although it
became a habit, was the time I answered the door and my friend Bruce
was standing there with his Airedale terrorist, Heather. In the
fullness of time Feather became friends with the d*g but he never
stopped jumping to the top of the fridge once he knew that he could.

WooToo, however, can only get onto my admittedly high bed by jumping
first to her chair, which must be placed near the bed.

Will in New Haven

Old July 11th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

The late lamented Feather could reach the top of the refrigerator
without any apparent effort. The first time he did this, although it
became a habit, was the time I answered the door and my friend Bruce
was standing there with his Airedale terrorist, Heather. In the
fullness of time Feather became friends with the d*g but he never
stopped jumping to the top of the fridge once he knew that he could.

WooToo, however, can only get onto my admittedly high bed by jumping
first to her chair, which must be placed near the bed.

Will in New Haven

The top of the fridge is prime real estate, around here. =o) However,
most of the time Nina and Francesca use the dining room table as a
launching pad. Pan used to jump from the table to the fridge, but as
he lost spring in his hindquarters he started jumping on the kitchen
counters and from there to the top of the fridge, instead.

As for putting out bouquets on my coffee table? Forget it! =o) Nina
must be into ikebana, as she frequently rearranges flowers by taking
them out of the vase and strewing them everywhere. Both she and her
mother are capable of incredible balletic airs above the ground in
pursuit of their favorite fishing pole toys. I sit in my chair by the
TV and keep the wand moving. Most of the time, the cats are a lot more
interesting than what's on TV.

Melissa

Melissa

Old July 11th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:36:37 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
yodeled:

[...]

Do you hear little Yeeeeeeee-haaaas coming out of her?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old July 11th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

It just goes to show, catproof is an oxymoron. ;o)

Old July 11th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:07:18 -0400, Kreisleriana
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:36:37 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
yodeled:

Our neighbours came back from their trip last week and gave me a nice
bunch of flowers, so I put them up on top of the entertainment unit to
make them cat-proof... or at least I THOUGHT they were catproof. Alas
the pretty flowers just gave Tessie the incentive she needed to jump
from the top of the cat tree onto the unit so she could stroll across
and check them out! Since then it's become a new recreational activity
for her, and when I got home from church on Sunday, the pewter dragon
ornament was in the middle of the livingroom floor instead of up on
top of my stereo I was just standing next to the stereo looking at
a flyer and I heard a 'mew' from behind my shoulder, and then Tessie
was again... she's incorrigable!

Do you hear little Yeeeeeeee-haaaas coming out of her?

Oh yes... she's not the least bit repentant. She jumps down if I pick
up the spraybottle or if I glare at her and say BAD GIRL (when the
spraybottle's not in reach)... but she'll do it again soon as
blinking. It would be cute if it wasn't so destructive!
Old July 11th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
Tessie is small, lightweight and athletic... in short a born
high-jumper! If you hold out a feather-on-a-stick she can jump about
a foot higher than the doorknob from a standing start!

I can one-up you on that. when Smokey was a youth, we used to let her out
on our enclosed front porch (we don't anymore, as that's where I keep my
gardening implements, and those can be dangerous for a kitty), and one time
a bird somehow got in there. The previous owners of the house had some
nails sticking out of the wood above the windows, I'm assuming for hanging
plants on.... the bird perched on one of these nails. I stand at just a
skoonch over 5' 5" in my bare feet, closer to 5' 6" in shoes - and this nail
is at least 3 inches over my head. Smokey *really* wanted that bird - she
sat below it and stared for a good 5 minutes, before finally doing a
wiggle-but and leaping *straight up* and nabbing the bird in her mouth as it
tried to fly off the nail & escape!

Bird was squawking and chirping, so she didn't have a death grip on it, we
dunked Smokey's head under the tub faucet to try & get her to let go of the
bird.

No way.

This was *her* bird. Nobody was going to take it away from her.

We put her on the enclosed back porch, and DH was going out the back door
for something (this was over 10 years ago, so I don't remember for what he
was going), and at the exact moment he had the inner and outer doors to the
outside opened as he went through them, Smokey *let go of the bird*
(presumably to play with her prey, as cats do), and the bird seemed to sense
it's change, flew straight out the doors, and it was all DH could do the
close the doors before Smokey, in hot pursuit of *her* bird, followed it
into the out!

Scouty has trouble getting her hind-end off the ground without a
running start because she's too heavy... Silver is too lazy to jump
ANYWHERE (although she scrambles up the cat tree on occasion). But
Tessie bounds about the apartment as if she was living on the moon.
Which leads to the sad realisation (well, sad for us...) that NOWHERE
in the apartment is safe from her! She makes the kitchen counter from
a standing start, however many times I shoo her down...

Our cats love to get above the upper cabinets, specifically, Bam-Bam,
Barney, Ping & Ernie. Sometimes they play chase back & forth up there, I'm
worried about the cabinets crashing down off the walls!

Our neighbours came back from their trip last week and gave me a nice
bunch of flowers, so I put them up on top of the entertainment unit to
make them cat-proof... or at least I THOUGHT they were catproof. Alas
the pretty flowers just gave Tessie the incentive she needed to jump
from the top of the cat tree onto the unit so she could stroll across
and check them out! Since then it's become a new recreational activity
for her, and when I got home from church on Sunday, the pewter dragon
ornament was in the middle of the livingroom floor instead of up on
top of my stereo I was just standing next to the stereo looking at
a flyer and I heard a 'mew' from behind my shoulder, and then Tessie
was again... she's incorrigible!

She's young, still. I would put all breakables away until you see that she
no longer has an interest in going up high - which might take a few years
. You'll know when that is, by the fact that she will think that it's too
much trouble & work to get up there!

Old July 12th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Tue 11 Jul 2006 11:36:37a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Our neighbours came back from their trip last week and gave me a
nice bunch of flowers, so I put them up on top of the
entertainment unit to make them cat-proof... or at least I
THOUGHT they were catproof. Alas the pretty flowers just gave
Tessie the incentive she needed to jump from the top of the cat
tree onto the unit so she could stroll across and check them
out! Since then it's become a new recreational activity for her,
and when I got home from church on Sunday, the pewter dragon
ornament was in the middle of the livingroom floor instead of up
on top of my stereo I was just standing next to the stereo
looking at a flyer and I heard a 'mew' from behind my shoulder,
and then Tessie was again... she's incorrigable!

Heh. Shamrock is like this. I can't cat-proof any high surfaces
from him. He only needs an inch of clear space spaced out in at
least 3 spots because he can jump to any surface, land on three
feet and find room for the other one. I don't know how he does it,
but I've found it's better to just leave a spot for him to land on
all fours. Nothing can block him. In fact, trying to block him only
****es him off and he knocks stuff off to prove to me that I can't
prevent him from jumping up there.

--
Cheryl
Old July 12th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

Nothing can block him. In fact, trying to block him only
****es him off and he knocks stuff off to prove to me that I can't
prevent him from jumping up there.

LOL, especially if you have a camera, and are taking a picture of
another cat. I still chuckle about those pictures you have of
other cats, with a Shamrock head in the corner.

Joyce