Kindle questions - OT

Old June 10th 12, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Kindle questions - OT

Although nothing will ever replace real books for me, it seems to me that an
e-reader would be the best bet for traveling, as opposed to taking a large
number of books along.

Since my kids are taking me to Australia in October, I'm seriously
considering getting an e-reader. So far I'm leaning toward a Kindle, but I
have lots of questions.

For one thing, they range from the bare bones to the Kindle Fire. I think
there's one even more expensive than the Fire, but that's definitely out of
my range. I'm looking hard at the Kindle Touch and the next one up, which
has 4G.

Does anybody here have a Kindle? If so, which model do you have? What are
its advantages and disadvantages? If you wish you'd gotten a different
model, which one and why?

I get the impression that one can send email, or at least texts, on some
models. Is this true? If so, which ones?

Apparently they can be read in full sunlight, like a real book. I assume
this means one would need a light to use them in dim light or the dark?

Any other suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

--

Joy

Chwaraewn fel y mae

Old June 11th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

I have a kindle keyboard 3g Joy. I got mine on a deal for $99

I like it books are cheap to buy on it easy to operate and look at for
an old fart like me
And as for the light the screen brightens when you need it to so no night
light required

I got mine through Amazon and they provide a service for free of 145000
books you can borrow

Now yes some are 3g and 4g mine is 3g

here is a link to compare them all. They are like having a mini tablet

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/...l_7gl7b2uwu2_e

Old June 11th 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

My sister in law has a Kindle which she used to take to my hospital appts
while she waited to take me home.
I had a look at it, and my impression was that your sight has to be good to
read the print on it. I found it difficult.
I don't know what model it is. Probably the basic one - she didn't tell me
she could send texts and emails on it, which she would have done if she
could have.
Tweed

Old June 11th 12, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 6/10/2012 6:41 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

I have the Kindle Keyboard 3G (also has wifi) - mine is the 3rd
generation of the original version (in white - a couple of friends got
theirs in the graphite grey). We have the $189US versions that do not
have ads on them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...famstripe_kk3g

If you get this version and want to read on the plane or any other
low-light situation, get a cover with a light on it (e-ink is neat, but
it does not light up!). You can enlarge the text and change the font as
well (I think there are 4 - 6 different fonts installed on it)

The Kindle DX is a larger version (almost a 10 inch screen as compared
to the 6 inch screen)

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old June 11th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, Matthew. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking
for.

I don't have a tablet, or any of the other advanced devices - just a desktop
PC and a very basic cell phone with a cheap plan.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
On 6/10/2012 6:41 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

Thank you. All of these responses are very helpful.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
[...]

I have what is now called the Kindle Keyboard, and a case. The case
is needed to protect the Kindle from wear and tear and comes with a
booklight. The Kindle Fire has a backlight built in. I also have more
than 100 titles so far. The nice thing is you can carry a lot of books
inside your Kindle. The bad thing is that you can't lend or give away
or sell your old Kindle e-books. The Kindle does come with a web browser.
The browser is barely adequate. The Kindle doesn't lend itself to
web browsing. I'd get a tablet computer if web browsing was important.

Bud

Old June 11th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-06-10, Christina Websell wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

It is possible to change the font size to make reading a little easier. Your
sister-in-law might not have shown you that.

Bud
Old June 11th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Your SIL apparently had the font set to the smallest size. You can easily
(takes about 3 seconds!) change the size of the font, similar to font on a
computer. Kindle can also be set for either vertical or horizontal viewing.

MaryL

kindle Patok[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 January 27th 12 07:18 AM
kindle Patok Cat anecdotes 6 January 27th 12 07:14 AM
e-book kindle googleGroupGuy Cat anecdotes 0 February 19th 11 10:43 PM
ot, kindle Stormmee Cat anecdotes 25 August 3rd 09 02:45 AM
Questions.... Angela Ryan Cat anecdotes 2 September 5th 03 07:42 PM