Grammar peeves

Old August 21st 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Grammar peeves

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I deffinitely agree with that.

One thing that bothers a lot of people is ending sentences with a
preposition. There are times when it sounds awkward not to do so. I
was
very pleased to hear the linguist, Richard Lederer, say that in those
cases,
it is correct to do so.

Okay, you just reminded me of a joke. A woman from the Southern US and a
woman from the Northern US were waiting for a flight in an airport. The
Southern woman asked the Northern woman, "Where are you from?" The
Northern woman sniffed and said, "I'm FROM where they don't end a
sentence with a preposition." The Southern woman thought about it then
said, "Okay. Where are you from, bitch?"

Jill

That made me smile. Although I was brought up to use correct English, I
wouldn't take it that far!

I'm particularly fond of the response Churchill is supposed to have given
when someone chastised him for ending a sentence with a preposition: "That
is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Joy

I've also let it slip now as no teacher is
around to tell me off. The boys used to get their knuckles rapped with a
board ruler, the girls were merely humiliated in front of the others.
It wouldn't be allowed now.
Looking back, we did have some suspect teachers. One of the maths teachers
used to pick boys up from their desk by their ears for a ritual humilation
if they didn't understand how to work out their sums. He was the one who
asked me in front of the class when I was 11 "are you illegitimate?"
I didn't know what the word meant, so I went home and told my mother. She
was more than furious and went to the school to see the headmaster.

Tweed

Old August 21st 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , "Joy" wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
...: "That
is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Then, of course, there's the sentence that ends with five prepositions: A
young child is being read a bedtime story, and complains:

"Why did you bring that book I didn't want to be read to out of up for?"

My own peeve, and I don't think it has been mentioned, is the almost universal
misuse of "it's" as a possessive. This drives me up the proverbial wall.

Art
Old August 21st 12, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , "Joy"
wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
...: "That
is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Then, of course, there's the sentence that ends with five prepositions: A
young child is being read a bedtime story, and complains:

"Why did you bring that book I didn't want to be read to out of up for?"

My own peeve, and I don't think it has been mentioned, is the almost
universal
misuse of "it's" as a possessive. This drives me up the proverbial wall.

Art

Yes, that one bugs me, along with other misuses of apostrophes.

Joy

Old August 22nd 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

I hate having to put " Yours faithfully" at the end of a letter no matter
if I've put "Dear Sir/Madam" or "Dear Mrs Smith" I put "Yours Sincerely".

You know very well that it's considered to be wrong! If you use Sir/Madam
you should use "yours faithfully" to sign off and "yours sincerely" if you
start Dear Mr/Mrs(anyname)
Thank your lucky stars that you are not living in the early part of the 20th
century when "I am yours respectfully" was common and a little bit further
back "I am your humble servant.."

Tweed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I started writing to an English pen pal when I was in third grade. I
*still* correspond with her all these years later, but not often. She
always starts her letters, "My dear Mary." She was the first person to
address me in that way. I was used to a simple "Dear Irene" (her name).
It still makes me smile when I think of her.

MaryL

Old August 22nd 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/20/2012 9:22 AM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 22:40:18 +0000 (UTC), Bastette

I'm the treasurer of a local park conservancy group. I am not the
world's best speller or grammercist (I do make up words though). But
the emails that come from the President are so awful that I've asked
her to send them to me before they go out. It seems like they're all
composed on a cell phone with tiny buttons and no backspace key.

Grammer and spelling count but apparently not as much as they once
counted.

Don't get me started on what texting is doing to basic grammar! I'll
sound like a middle aged woman

Jill
Old August 22nd 12, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

m...
On 2012-08-20, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I love these conversations about England as it was once.
I was lucky enough to know an elderly lady when I was a child whose
aunt to
used to write to her and her sister, the Miffes Sikes, except it was a
much
posher f than my computer allows.
Tweed

I'll bet there's a font, somewhere out there, that renders the "f" in
exactly that way.

The "long s". There are rules when to use it, but I know not what they
are.

Bud

Bear in mind that my elderly friend was born in 1897 so her aunt could have
been born as early as the 1840's.
ſ in html is supposed to bring it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

Tweed

My paternal grandmother was born in 1897, I was very fond of her.
--
Adrian
Old August 23rd 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2012-08-20, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Let's just say she took me in every evening to save me from my stepfather.
She took me on holiday every year to great hotels as her companion.
Many years later my mother actually asked if she had *interfered" with me.
I was disgusted by the suggestion..
She was a wonderful woman who had noticed a suffering child., She made me
soup and we played card games and draughts. We did chess but she never
got the drift of forward planning and I beat her every time. I still miss
her.
I'd love to go there again and have her lovely soup and let her beat me at
cards.
Not chess. she never beat me at chess ;-)
One evening she gave me vodka, seemed Ok until I went outside to go home.
I fell in the bushes and so did she.;-)
Lovely memories of a kind woman.
Tweed

Old August 24th 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Let's just say she took me in every evening to save me from my stepfather.
She took me on holiday every year to great hotels as her companion.
Many years later my mother actually asked if she had *interfered" with me.
I was disgusted by the suggestion..
She was a wonderful woman who had noticed a suffering child., She made me
soup and we played card games and draughts. We did chess but she never
got the drift of forward planning and I beat her every time. I still miss
her.
I'd love to go there again and have her lovely soup and let her beat me at
cards.
Not chess. she never beat me at chess ;-)
One evening she gave me vodka, seemed Ok until I went outside to go home.
I fell in the bushes and so did she.;-)
Lovely memories of a kind woman.

That's funny. She sounds like a lifesaver.

--
Joyce

Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the
words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One
day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought
the word 'fluffy' would help." -- Hilarious recipes at: www.candyboots.com
Old August 26th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Every emotionally abused child should have access to a person like that to
save them from going home until bedtime.
One of my friends gave me a tape of a song "There is a woman down my street"
which describes exactly the same thing.

I always thought that I would confront my stepfather as an adult but I put
it off and the barsteward died of an aneurism (sp?) before I'd got the
courage up. Far too quick a death for what he put me through.

My mother left him. 2 little boys in tow, 2 & 4. because of it.

Old August 27th 12, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

One evening she gave me vodka, seemed Ok until I went outside to go
home.
I fell in the bushes and so did she.;-)
Lovely memories of a kind woman.

That's funny. She sounds like a lifesaver.

Every emotionally abused child should have access to a person like that to
save them from going home until bedtime.

You were really lucky to have her.

I always thought that I would confront my stepfather as an adult but I put
it off and the barsteward died of an aneurism (sp?) before I'd got the
courage up. Far too quick a death for what he put me through.

But at least he's gone, out of your hair for good.

--
Joyce

If your kid comes out of the bedroom and says he just shut down the
government, it seems to me he should at least have an outfit for that.
-- John Waters, on the sorry style of today's rebels