Follow-up: Wish Me Luck!

Old August 23rd 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Follow-up: Wish Me Luck!

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Pretty certain they'd see that it's not enough to buy actual liquor
(even
if you buy cartons at a time).

Not true, unfortunately! Last time I checked, a carton of cigarettes
was
considerably more expensive than a fifth of moderately priced liquor.
(I
can remember when cigarettes were about $3.00 a carton - now they're
about
twice than much a PACK - one more reason for trying to kick the
addiction!)

I heard that getting off nicotine is harder than getting off heroin.

Tweed

One of my brothers became addicted to heroin when we lived in SE Asia.
He
was in high school. My parents let him smoke cigarettes to ease the
withdrawal.

Jill

And did it help?
Tweed

It seemed to. Of course my mother slept in the hallway, on the floor,
across from his bedroom door. My father slept across the door to the
balcony so he couldn't sneak out to "score". I'm sure those were
extremely stressful times for them and they did whatever they thought was
best.

My mom, brother and I came back to the US and lived with her parents for 6
months. Oh the small town mentality!

My dad had to finish his tour of duty in Thailand. My oldest brother was
about to graduate high school. They made the decision not to yank him out
of school; let him graduate with his friends.

So Mom, my middle brother and I moved to this tiny town in Ohio. I hated
living there. The people were ignorant. When the teacher introduced me
to the class and said I'd just moved there from Bangkok, the kids started
calling me "Jap". Oh dear. If anyone needed history lessons it's these
children. I did enjoy getting to spend time with my grandparents. I just
wish I'd been old enough to ask them questions I only thought of later. I
was really happy when my father and brother moved back to the States.
Anything to get out of that town in Ohio!

How is your heroin addicted brother doing now? the idea that cigarettes
might help get him off it is not supported.
It's my worst nightmare, that one of my baby brothers would grow up and take
heroin. Luckily, they are both successful in their jobs, I doubt they take
drugs, and they know that their big sister would kill them if they did. I
didn't spend ages teaching them to read before they went to school to give
them an advantage if they wasted it.
I also taught them how to use a knife and fork in the correct way.
Teachers tell us that 5 year olds are coming to school with no idea of using
knife/fork and not a clue about polite behaviour around the table.
Well, I taught my boys when they were 3-4 about table manners and how to
handle a knife and fork.

they still remember it (they are 40) They remember everything - like when I
taught them how to sing in harmony.
They say that is one of their most precious memories. when I was saying "In
Hans old Mill, there were three black cats(come in boys) and they loved it
and have never forgotten singing in harmony even now.
I learnt this song at school.
I'd love to see it again.

In Hans old Mill the three black cats search for the rats in the thieving
night. Whisker and claw they search in the night

(I forget the rest) does anyone know it?

Old August 23rd 12, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Pretty certain they'd see that it's not enough to buy actual liquor
(even
if you buy cartons at a time).

Not true, unfortunately! Last time I checked, a carton of cigarettes
was
considerably more expensive than a fifth of moderately priced liquor. (I
can remember when cigarettes were about $3.00 a carton - now they're
about
twice than much a PACK - one more reason for trying to kick the
addiction!)

I heard that getting off nicotine is harder than getting off heroin.

Tweed

It will be 12 years in November since I last smoked, but I still get the
craving especially if I smell one.
--
Adrian

getting off nicotine is also as bad as getting off drink if you are an
alcoholic. Well done that man.

Tweed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My sister and I never smoked, but my brother was a chain smoker--several
packs a day. He was almost never seen without a cigarette in his hand, and
he used to say that smoking was the one habit that was impossible for him to
break. Then, one year, he asked his wife what she wanted for their
anniversary. She asked him if he could give up smoking for her. He got a
prescription from the doctor and gradually quit. I think it has now been
20-25 years since he smoked. He also started a fund where he put all the
money in the account that he *would* have used on smoking. He eventually
bought a new car (an Acura) with that money, and we are all very proud of
him.

MaryL

Old August 23rd 12, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MaryL wrote:

My sister and I never smoked, but my brother was a chain smoker--several
packs a day. He was almost never seen without a cigarette in his hand, and
he used to say that smoking was the one habit that was impossible for him to
break. Then, one year, he asked his wife what she wanted for their
anniversary. She asked him if he could give up smoking for her. He got a
prescription from the doctor and gradually quit. I think it has now been
20-25 years since he smoked. He also started a fund where he put all the
money in the account that he *would* have used on smoking. He eventually
bought a new car (an Acura) with that money, and we are all very proud of
him.

Great story! Good for him. It's hard enough to quit even when you want to,
but to do it for someone else takes even more commitment. And that's fantastic
about the car. That story should be told to newbies in quit-smoking support
groups. Especially since the account would grow a lot faster now than it did
when your brother quit.

I quit 25 years ago this summer, and although I still have smoking dreams
occasionally, I rarely have a craving for one. Once the drug was out of my
system, I was pretty content to think of myself as a non-smoker. I only
smoked for 7 years, but it felt like a long time while I was going through
it. I quit several times, and kept going back to it, during those 7 years
before I finally quit for good in July 1987. Now the amount of time I smoked
is dwarfed by the amount of time that's passed since I had my last one.

--
Joyce

Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating -- Sarah McLaughlin
Old August 23rd 12, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

Is it this one? If you click on "Show More" below the video, it's got
the lyrics, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_f1lNYYtJY

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old August 23rd 12, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

Supported or not, in 1971 who knew? It seemed to help ease the stress
of withdrawal.

He's fine. He kicked it the heroin and went on to graduate from high
school and college. He became a programmer and systems analyst. I think
he's retired now. This is the brother I haven't spoken to after he gave
me such a hard time about the terms of our mom's Will. As far as I know
he's still doing fine. I understand (through my oldest brother) he
recently sold his house and moved to Texas. Beyond that, I have no clue.

Jill
Old August 23rd 12, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Cheryl wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

[...]

Yes, congratulations! My late husband quit smoking, but only after he'd
been diagnosed with lung cancer, and by then it was too late.

Joy

My grandfather died of lung cancer. He never smoked. We think it was
because he was a carpenter and inhaled wood dust.

Lung cancer can occur (although not often) in non-smokers for reasons no
one understands - one of my grandmothers, a non-smoking small-town
housewife who was never exposed to any of the usual industrial suspects,
died of lung cancer. And others who smoke heavily all their lives, like
my father, die of something else entirely at an advanced age. Smoking
increases the risk of lung cancer but doesn't guarantee it - and there's
no way to predict in advance which smoker will get it and which won't.

My next door neighbour died of lung cancer, never smoked in his life and
didn't work in industry (he was a financial consultant). He was only 61,
his funeral is tomorrow. :-(
--
Adrian
Old August 23rd 12, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Adrian" wrote in message

[...]

congratulations to your brother, I know how hard it is.
--
Adrian
Old August 24th 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
m...

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Pretty certain they'd see that it's not enough to buy actual liquor (even
if you buy cartons at a time).

Not true, unfortunately! Last time I checked, a carton of cigarettes was
considerably more expensive than a fifth of moderately priced liquor. (I
can remember when cigarettes were about $3.00 a carton - now they're about
twice than much a PACK - one more reason for trying to kick the
addiction!)

I heard that getting off nicotine is harder than getting off heroin.

So I understand - I'm SO glad that, because of my aspirations to be an
opera singer, I never got into the habit! I've had friends with alcohol
addiction, so I understand better than most that it isn't simply a
matter of "just don't drink" or "just don't smoke". And it doesn't
matter how long you've been "dry" - One friend had been a faithful AA
attendee, liquor free for eight years. Then his life took a few
depressing turns, and he was back on the booze again.
Old August 24th 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

I also taught them how to use a knife and fork in the correct way.
Teachers tell us that 5 year olds are coming to school with no idea of using
knife/fork and not a clue about polite behaviour around the table.
Well, I taught my boys when they were 3-4 about table manners and how to
handle a knife and fork.

Well, there's "correct" and "correct", depending upon the country -
Americans and Europeans use them differently. (Which is why you can
nearly always recognize Americans in a restaurant.)
Old August 24th 12, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 24, 2:37*am, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
And it doesn't
matter how long you've been "dry" -

A friend of mine hasn't touched alcohol in 9 years but whenever
offered a drink she still says "I won't have one I'm an alcoholic"

People say to her "You can't be you don't drink" but she reckons if
she thought "I'm not an alcoholic I haven't had a drink in 9 years"
then she might think "Well if I'm not an alcoholic I could just have a
small glass on wine on a special occasion" and she says she might well
be okay with that but she's not prepared to take the chance she might
not be and could end up with her alcohol problem again

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs