New picture of my fatboy Shadow

Old July 27th 03, 04:39 AM
Cheryl

Default New picture of my fatboy Shadow

Hard to believe he is sick by looking at him. He was enjoying the sun
today. I still wonder if some of the tummy fat is bloat, but the vet
has checked him out many times.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

Old July 27th 03, 05:12 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Cheryl at wrote
on 7/26/03 10:39 PM:

Hard to believe he is sick by looking at him. He was enjoying the sun
today. I still wonder if some of the tummy fat is bloat, but the vet
has checked him out many times.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

Wow. Every happy day is a blessing. He sure looks happy there.

Karen

Old July 27th 03, 05:20 AM
Byron & Christine Burel

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Hard to believe he is sick by looking at him. He was enjoying the sun
today. I still wonder if some of the tummy fat is bloat, but the vet
has checked him out many times.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

Aww, Cheryl, he looks like king of the hill and happy to be there!
Christine

Old July 27th 03, 05:24 AM
Arjun Ray

In , "Cheryl" wrote:

| Hard to believe he is sick by looking at him. He was enjoying the sun
| today. I still wonder if some of the tummy fat is bloat, but the vet
| has checked him out many times.
|
| http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

I know Shadow was overweight at some point, but was he muscular before
that?

In some recent pictures, my Scruffy looks pretty good, but in some
subtle way he isn't the same. He used to be very muscular, solid all
over, like a decathlete. His tomcat jowls are basically gone, and he
looks dry and drawn a lot. From close, you can tell he's wasting.

http://www.nyct.net/~aray/cats/temp/

But still better than a few months ago. When he crashed in February, he
was down to 9 lbs 4 oz. As of a few days ago, he's back up to 11 lbs 11
oz.

Old July 27th 03, 05:31 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Hard to believe he is sick by looking at him. He was enjoying the sun
today. I still wonder if some of the tummy fat is bloat, but the vet
has checked him out many times.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

He looks bee-u-teee-ful! And so much happier than in his post-operation
pictures!

BTW, I think I asked about this before, but what kind of netting is that
again? I'm looking more seriously into putting something up for my cat.
Summer is almost over (she won't go out during winter) but I may as well
start looking now!

rona

Old July 27th 03, 07:33 AM
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Hard to believe he is sick by looking at him. He was enjoying the sun
today. I still wonder if some of the tummy fat is bloat, but the vet
has checked him out many times.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

What a wonderful transformation. I am so happy to see Shadow looking so
much improved. That device he's resting on looks great. Is that a
slantboard scratching post attached?

Great job!

MaryL

Old July 27th 03, 05:12 PM
Elaine Rene

"Cheryl" a écrit dans le message de news:
Hard to believe he is sick by looking at him. He was enjoying the sun
today. I still wonder if some of the tummy fat is bloat, but the vet
has checked him out many times.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

Now thats living for ya!! :-)
He don't look bothered by his tummy either (g)

Elaine

Old July 27th 03, 09:05 PM
Elaine Rene

"Arjun Ray" a écrit dans le message de news:

| What weight do you think is critical for an older, normal to big size
| cat?

Hard to say. I think it has more to do with overall physical condition.
They're likely to lose the musculature of their prime - around the
shoulders, on the haunches, etc. Legs and tail will get thinner. The
fat pad can be misleading - they won't lose that unless they're really
underweight, and maybe not even then.

Yes it makes more sense to observe the overall shape. I think Chaka's
weight always varied from 10 to 12lbs, depending on season, but now he feels
heavier when we pick him up. I know that sounds silly but I think a heavy
cat in his young, very good shape years will still feel light when picked
up. Its true that the legs and tail is a good indication of a cat's health.
I have seen it in the strays that struggle against winter in the village
where I work. They have round bellies but very skinny extremities.

Right now, for example, Scruffy is about a pound under his prime. Some
of his present stuffing could be the result of hydration - he gets 100cc
subQ every day. I expect him to lose at least a pound as his condition
worsens. If he goes under 10 lbs, I'd get very concerned, and probably
consult with the vet about an imminent crash.

That is a stressful not very wide margin. I wish you that he keeps up there
very long. I'm sure Phoenix will help contribute to Scruffy's strength.

Elaine