It's where they poop

Old February 11th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default It's where they poop

As Lee can tell you, for a good many years I did not want to be near cats.
My grandmother had three and they would sit on the couch or a high spot and
jump on me. Since I can't see too far past the end of my nose (and before
some smart A** says something, my nose isn't all that long) this would
frighten the bejesus out of me. I learned to hate cats. Finally Bast sent
one to out house that my son claimed. Well as my husband neared the end of
his life, the cat claimed Him and now I have the cat plus two.
wrote in message
Cheryl P. wrote:

I have a relative who is cat phobic (as well as a couple who are
allergic, and it's not an excuse; I mean in one case the reaction can
range right up to an asthma attack). Allergies are physical, but phobias
aren't and I have asked why cats are so frightening.

Phobias might also be physical. Many mental illnesses and irrational
emotions are physically based.

But even if not, I think it's a fallacy (and unfair to the sufferer)
to imply that a clearly physical problem such as an allergy is a "good
excuse" but a phobia is a bad one. Maybe that's not what you meant to
say, and it's true I'm sensitive about this because I've had a lot of
phobias and other emotional sensitivities. I've sometimes felt like
people are saying that people with "real" (ie, physical, tangible)
problems deserve respect, but I should just shape up and get over my
problems because they're not real. Again, I'm not saying that's
necessarily what you meant. I just wanted to say something about this.

It's hard to understand why someone would have a cat phobia, being
such an intense cat-lover myself. But a friend of mine said she thought
it wasn't that different from the fears many people have of bugs or
mice. It's that shuddery feeling of revulsion, that "ewww, don't let
it near me, don't let it get *on* me." I don't know where those feelings
come from, whether they're biological or learned. I do sometimes wonder
whether there's a genetic basis to people's revulsion toward large
swarms of bugs, but I don't actually know if that's a human thing or
just a cultural thing.

Anyway, some people feel that way about cats, and, as long as the
person doesn't use their phobia to excuse cruelty or anything like
that, I think their feelings should be respected.

I do think cats are unpredictable, and I am almost always delighted
by that.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old February 12th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl P. wrote:

You misunderstood me. I used 'excuse' in relation to 'allergies' -
because some people, rather than saying 'I don't like X' will say 'I am
allergic to X', but that is not the case of a relative of mine who has
quite severe physical symptoms even if she doesn't see the cat or know
there's one in the house.

Your relative has severe symptoms even if she doesn't know there's
a cat nearby, and yet she is not allergic? That's amazing.

Phobias, while also real, are different enough from an allergy to make
it interesting (to me, at least) to ask about it. Someone suffering from
an allergy can't describe how the cat makes them sick (although their
doctor could) but someone with a phobia, and willing to discuss it, can
give me some idea of what aspect of the cat is frightening. I don't
really see why that's not respecting their feelings.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to criticize you. And I did say that
I am very sensitive to this issue, probably because although I've always
been in good physical health, I've had a lot of emotional problems,
including phobias, which I felt were as much out of my control as someone
else's physical illness, but other people seemed to think that I could
just snap out of mine. So I got blamed a lot, and I am, by my own admission
quite defensive about it. So I was just using your post as a jumping-off
place to air my own agenda. Nothing personal, really!

It's not as though
I'd ever do something as cruel as trying to force them to pet a cat, or
making fun of them for not wanting to.

Luckily, I've never been forced to take on any of my phobias either,
but I sure have been made fun of, yelled at, judged, etc.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 12th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Cheryl P. wrote:

No, no, she *is* allergic which is why she gets symptoms even when
visiting a new place if she doesn't know there's a cat there. Maybe I'm
the only person who's encountered someone who does the reverse - rather
than say "I really don't like cats (or something else)', they claim to
be allergic to whatever it is - but they only claim to be developing
symptoms when they can actually see whatever it is they dislike. Maybe I
just know a few people who'd rather claim a physical problem they don't
have than actually stand up for their personal preferences, and this
kind of behaviour is fortunately rare.

i used to have a boyfriend who was allergic to cats and dogs. one day,
we were on the bus when a woman got on the bus with a dog. bf didn't
notice them. we went a few stops and i was waiting for a reaction.
nothing happened. then i said, 'did you notice that dog that just came
aboard.' he looked around, saw the dog, and immediately started to
sniffle and his eyes turned red and watery.

i'm not saying he lied about his allergies, but they must have been at
least partially psychosomatic. it's strange what the mind can do to you.

Old February 12th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 12, 7:41*am, Marina wrote:
Cheryl P. wrote:

[...]

It's amazing what the brain can do. Doesn't your head always start
itching when people start talking about head lice, or fleas and such?
OTOH, some people really do have highly sensitive allergies. When I
quit
my job, my replacement could not sit in my chair without a wheezing
allergy attack. They finally figured out to take the upholstered desk
chair away and she was fine. Even though it looked clean, apparently
I had carried enough cat dander on my clothes she couldn't tolerate
it.
She didn't even know her predecessor HAD cats.

Sherry
Old February 12th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

An Aunt that I hadn't seen in years came to visit, she had no way of knowing
I had cats.

After about 20 minutes she began to wheeze and finally said "I don't see cat
hair on your furniture so, the people before you must have had a cat." We
ended up having to go outside for the rest of the visit.

Yet, another lady came and was fine until she saw Piglet run around the
corner then suddenly she started to sneeze. She said "just put the cat in a
bedroom, it will be fine." NOT if it is a true allergy. Never asked her
back. I will put the cats up for storms, older who might trip as the cats
like to rub legs but, that is about it. Well if I have to have doors open
for some reason.

Old February 12th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 7:41 am, Marina wrote:
Cheryl P. wrote:

[...]

My younger daughter is mildly allergic to our cats. Her husband is severely
allergic. We always clean and put the cats out or in the bedroom if we are
expecting them.

When I go to their house to watch Emily (or just to visit) I take a shower
and dress in clean clothes so I won't take pet dander and fur into their
house. I even have a pair of slippers in my backpack that I only wear at
their house.

I just hope Emily can visit us comfortably when she's older and can come to
Grandma's house to stay for a few days.

Jo

Old February 12th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Granby wrote:

An Aunt that I hadn't seen in years came to visit, she had no way of knowing
I had cats.

After about 20 minutes she began to wheeze and finally said "I don't see cat
hair on your furniture so, the people before you must have had a cat." We
ended up having to go outside for the rest of the visit.

Sounds like many a visit with my late sister-in-law! She
would try to tough it out, but after the first time she
started to wheeze, rather than say anything before the
reaction got that bad, our visits took place outdoors, in
their hotel room, or in a restaurant. She LIKED cats okay,
but her allergies got progressively worse, as she grew older.

Old February 14th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

"Enfilade" wrote in message
We went on vacation the last week and we were going to get my friend
who lives across the street to cat sit, but she has been sick and
couldn't do it. So Dylan asked one of his co workers who lives in the
same building and she said she would.

snip

Kreisleriana wrote:
That's always a bit of a turn, isn't it? Last summer I had a computer
tech in, and he seemed absolutely terrified of the cats. snip

nik Simpson wrote:
In my final year at college I took a room at house owned by two Siamese
who would "vet" any prospective tenants that their human slaves might be
considering. No problem for me, I passed with flying colours, when I
moved in they went through my stuff like a pair of German customs
inspectors. snip

Thanks for the laugh!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Where does she poop? James Cat health & behaviour 2 November 9th 07 10:01 PM
No poop yet! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 3 January 13th 06 02:47 AM
Poop whitershadeofpale Cat health & behaviour 1 December 3rd 05 01:19 AM
Poop cybercat Cat health & behaviour 0 December 1st 05 03:42 AM