Claw question

Old November 27th 03, 12:03 AM
Wendy

Default Claw question

Two nail clippings ago I noticed that Tiggy's claws on a few "fingers" have
gotten really thick. I didn't think too much of it the first time I clipped
them. I thought maybe she was getting ready to shed the outer nail like they
do periodically. When I clipped them the next time and they were still thick
I got a little concerned. She has one front paw that the nails are pretty
normal and the other are mostly thick. There isn't anything unusual about
the color. Is this normal in older cats? Fungus infection maybe?

She has a vet appt. next Thurs. (along with the rest of them) but just
wondering if anyone had encountered this before.

Wendy

Old December 6th 03, 08:19 AM
-L.

"Wendy" wrote in message ...
To answer my own question, the vet said it's not uncommon for this to happen
with older cats.

My one kitty has had two thick claws from kittenhood. Sometimes, they
just have weird anomalies.

-L.

Old December 6th 03, 12:22 PM
Wendy

The reason I had a concern is that Tig never had thick claws before. If
anything they were a little finer than I've noticed with other cats I've
had. All the sudden they thickened up and I am concerned with any sudden
changes. So I asked the vet. This is my first time with a cat this old so
I'm not up on what to expect with a geriatric cat.