claw clipping frequency

Old February 29th 04, 02:08 PM
J1Boss

Default claw clipping frequency

Skipjack is a blue tabby with the cutest white paws anyone has ever seen (trust
me!). He's 2. When I first adopted him at ~5 months old, I clipped his claws
regularly. I stopped, because his claws haven't been a problem - he only
scratches "approved" surfaces and is an affectionate cat who never strikes out
at man or beast.

However........ 2 mornings in a row, he had startle/crazies and ripped my
ankle/foot to shred when he launched himself off the bed (he sleeps on top of
me, often on my feet).

So...... I clipped his back claws last evening, which he has no problem with.
My question is the rate of growth of the "hook" and how frequently anyone
thinks clipping is necessary? Weekly? More? Less? I can't seem to find claw
growth rate info anywhere!

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Old February 29th 04, 04:04 PM
Judy F

I have the same experience as Laura. Usually I know it's time when the claws
start getting attached to the carpet as they try to play with their toys.
Judy F

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa 29 Feb 2004 14:08:45 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav, J1Boss
) said,

[...]

For my cats, every few weeks seems to be sufficient. I just go by
sight- when I see talons, I clip 'em. :-)

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Old February 29th 04, 04:21 PM
Wendy

"Judy F" wrote in message
t...
I have the same experience as Laura. Usually I know it's time when the claws
start getting attached to the carpet as they try to play with their toys.
Judy F

That or when you hear them clacking when they walk across a hard floor.

Old February 29th 04, 04:34 PM
Cathy Friedmann

I try to clip my cats' claws every one - two weeks. Any longer, & they get
to be needle-sharp daggers.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old March 1st 04, 12:22 PM
J1Boss

Thanks for the opinions folks! I'll probably go with a weekly clip or look-see
for now! We don't have carpet, and the only time I hear clacking is when he's
in "skitter"mode - you know - moving at the speed of light and leaping off tall
buildings with a single bound! ;-D

I love how playful and active he is, but those hooks did an amazing amount of
damage to my poor foot. no heavy covers, I was vulnerable by having my feet
only covered by a sheet and thought, this could be a lonnnnnng spring/summer
and a bloody one to boot!