Claw clipping question

Old February 20th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question

On 2006-02-18, Chakolate penned:

Doc likes to jump up onto my shoulders from the floor, and if he
misses, he just digs in and climbs the rest of the way. For him,
though, having his claws too long is bad, because when he climbs,
his claws getting snagged in the cloth makes things that much more
difficult.

I'm lucky that Oscar isn't big on human-climbing. She does
occasionally get a claw caught in something, but that's rarely.

But *sigh* Sunday morning I kept hearing her make noises. Finally I
opened my eyes and saw her claw caught -- in the arm of a cashmere
sweater that had previously been wholely on top of my chest of
drawers! I screamed; Oscar fled; DH announced that he might as well
get up, as he was awake now, anyway.

By some miracle, I don't see any pulled threads in the sweater.

(The whole cashmere sweater thing is kind of a sub-story of its own;
as a teen, I loved them, but mom wouldn't let me have one because she
rightly pointed out that I would quickly ruin anything that fine by
leaving it on the floor, letting the dog sleep on it, etc.
Eventually, mom decided I was responsible enough, and I now have
several such sweaters, all gifts from my mother except one that is a
gift from my mother in law. So they're meaningful apart from just
being expensive and nice. Of course, Oscar thinks they are primarily
cat beds, so I have to hide them away in drawers. I had a pretty good
reason for having the sweater there that night, and Oscar hadn't been
up on the chest of drawers in a while -- but I should have known
better.)

(By the way, I can't afford to turn the heat on, so I'm generally
wearing five layers in my numerator and four in my denominator, so
him climbing up my back is really no problem for me.)

Hehehe! Oof, I would probably freeze to death in your shoes. I'm
always cold. Do you own any big fat fleece jackets? I find that
fleece can substitute for several layers of any other material, even
wool -- but it can be very expensive =/

What are the lows like where you live? Several nights ago we had a
low around -15 F, but normally in the winter, while it gets below
freezing, it doesn't usually go to zero even at night.

Generally, they do manage to maintain their claws themselves. I
have a limb of a cherry tree that I've screwed onto a base, and
that's really hard, a limb of another tree (not sure what kind, but
slightly softer wood) that's built into a cat tree, and sisal
scratching posts and carpet-covered scratching posts. That's
basically four levels of hardness for them, and they manage quite
well. They just need the occasional assist.

I've wondered for a while now if Oscar would like a wooden scratching
surface. She does have several sisal and carpet posts, though, so
there hasn't been any urgency.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 22nd 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

I'm lucky that Oscar isn't big on human-climbing. She does
occasionally get a claw caught in something, but that's rarely.

But *sigh* Sunday morning I kept hearing her make noises. Finally I
opened my eyes and saw her claw caught -- in the arm of a cashmere
sweater that had previously been wholely on top of my chest of
drawers! I screamed; Oscar fled; DH announced that he might as well
get up, as he was awake now, anyway.

For my guys, anything I wear that's fuzzy is a Kneading Opportunity not
to be missed.

Hehehe! Oof, I would probably freeze to death in your shoes. I'm
always cold. Do you own any big fat fleece jackets? I find that
fleece can substitute for several layers of any other material, even
wool -- but it can be very expensive =/

It's generally sweaters and sweatsuits. One of the sweaters is
particularly warm. And underneath it all, longjohns. :-)

What are the lows like where you live? Several nights ago we had a
low around -15 F, but normally in the winter, while it gets below
freezing, it doesn't usually go to zero even at night.

I'm in Chicago, and I do get second-hand heat from the first floor
apartment, so the indoor temp here is usually mid-40's. The other night
the outdoor temp got down to 5 below, so I kept a space heater running
all night, which will probably add $3 to my electric bill and kept the
apartment pipes from freezing.

I've wondered for a while now if Oscar would like a wooden scratching
surface. She does have several sisal and carpet posts, though, so
there hasn't been any urgency.

If you try a limb of a tree, be sure to rub it with catnip when you
present it, so she gets the idea that it's there for her to scratch.

I have a picture (if I ever get it developed) of Pi, loving that cherry
limb so much. He wanted to scratch it, but he also wanted to roll in the
catnip, so he reached around the far side of the post to scratch. It
looked like he was hugging it.

Chak

--
In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it
would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples
Old February 22nd 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-22, Chakolate penned:

For my guys, anything I wear that's fuzzy is a Kneading Opportunity
not to be missed.

Oscar is attached to certain blankets. I have a few extra blankets
that I use on top of our comforter, only on my side, and she loves to
knead them. They're fleecy.

DH used to think Oscar preferred my lap to his. I kept telling him it
was the blankets we have on the couch; she won't lie down on me unless I
have one or both of those blankets on my lap. He didn't believe me
until a rare occasion when he actually used the blankets. Sure enough,
instant lap fungus.

I'm in Chicago, and I do get second-hand heat from the first floor
apartment, so the indoor temp here is usually mid-40's. The other
night the outdoor temp got down to 5 below, so I kept a space heater
running all night, which will probably add $3 to my electric bill
and kept the apartment pipes from freezing.

I don't know how you can do it. If our thermostat dips below 70, I am
miserable. And it's not like I wear light clothes, either. I guess
I'm just a wuss when it comes to cold.

I've wondered for a while now if Oscar would like a wooden
scratching surface. She does have several sisal and carpet posts,
though, so there hasn't been any urgency.

If you try a limb of a tree, be sure to rub it with catnip when you
present it, so she gets the idea that it's there for her to scratch.

Yup. I've done this with her scratching posts, too. She's pretty
good about keeping her claws out of things that aren't supposed to be
scratched, and I sure don't want to confuse her!

Awww.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

I don't know how you can do it. If our thermostat dips below 70, I am
miserable. And it's not like I wear light clothes, either. I guess
I'm just a wuss when it comes to cold.

If it was forced on me, by a landlord that just wouldn't turn on the
heat, I'd be terribly cold. Since it's my decision to save money, I
really don't mind, much. You'd be amazed at how much you can acclimate.

But I've always been a hot person, with more than my share of personal
warmth. ;-)

Chak

Old February 23rd 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Chakolate wrote:
If it was forced on me, by a landlord that just wouldn't turn on the
heat, I'd be terribly cold. Since it's my decision to save money, I
really don't mind, much. You'd be amazed at how much you can acclimate.

But I've always been a hot person, with more than my share of personal
warmth. ;-)

I keep my flat at around 17-18 C (60-65 F), not to save money (since
heating doesn't cost separately in my building), but because I don't
like it warmer. At night especially I want it to be cool. I'm a hot
person too. P One of my ex-BFs used to say it was like sleeping beside
a radiator going full blast, to sleep beside me. He used to put his cold
feet on me to warm them. Eeek! But nice and cool after a while.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old February 23rd 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:
Chakolate wrote:
If it was forced on me, by a landlord that just wouldn't turn on the
heat, I'd be terribly cold. Since it's my decision to save money, I
really don't mind, much. You'd be amazed at how much you can
acclimate.

But I've always been a hot person, with more than my share of
personal warmth. ;-)

I keep my flat at around 17-18 C (60-65 F), not to save money (since
heating doesn't cost separately in my building), but because I don't
like it warmer. At night especially I want it to be cool. I'm a hot
person too. P One of my ex-BFs used to say it was like sleeping
beside a radiator going full blast, to sleep beside me. He used to
put his cold feet on me to warm them. Eeek! But nice and cool after a
while.

I find it very difficult to sleep if the nightime temperature is above 10°C
(50°F)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old February 23rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-23, Chakolate penned:

If it was forced on me, by a landlord that just wouldn't turn on the
heat, I'd be terribly cold. Since it's my decision to save money, I
really don't mind, much. You'd be amazed at how much you can
acclimate.

I guess I can see that.

But I've always been a hot person, with more than my share of
personal warmth. ;-)

I get cold very easily, unless I'm working out. As soon as I'm
moving, I get awfully warm and need to remove layers -- but if I'm
not, I am freezing!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-23, Chakolate penned:

If it was forced on me, by a landlord that just wouldn't turn on the
heat, I'd be terribly cold. Since it's my decision to save money, I
really don't mind, much. You'd be amazed at how much you can
acclimate.

I guess I can see that.

But I've always been a hot person, with more than my share of
personal warmth. ;-)

I get cold very easily, unless I'm working out. As soon as I'm
moving, I get awfully warm and need to remove layers -- but if I'm
not, I am freezing!

Me too, especially since I lost weight. My hands and feet, especially, get
(somehow!!) colder than room temperature. They feel like the cold is
radiating outward from the bones and get so cold that they ache horribly
(and my husband says they feel as cold as ice cubes). As soon as the
temperature gets below 72, I turn on my electric blanket. Right now I'm
looking for electric socks to help me keep my feet from hurting so badly
with the cold.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 24th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote in
:

I keep my flat at around 17-18 C (60-65 F), not to save money (since
heating doesn't cost separately in my building), but because I don't
like it warmer. At night especially I want it to be cool. I'm a hot
person too. P One of my ex-BFs used to say it was like sleeping
beside a radiator going full blast, to sleep beside me. He used to put
his cold feet on me to warm them. Eeek! But nice and cool after a
while.

If I had my druthers, I'd keep it at about 62-63. But 42-43 is okay, as
long as I'm saving the dough-re-mi.

Chak

Old February 24th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

My hands and feet, especially, get
(somehow!!) colder than room temperature. They feel like the cold is
radiating outward from the bones and get so cold that they ache
horribly (and my husband says they feel as cold as ice cubes). As
soon as the temperature gets below 72, I turn on my electric blanket.
Right now I'm looking for electric socks to help me keep my feet from
hurting so badly with the cold.

Do your fingers/toes change color when they get cold, especially, do
they get blue? I'm thinking of Reynaud's disease, here.

Chak