September 11

Old September 12th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default September 11

Caroline S. wrote:

I remembered today, that after that event is when the catslaves yahoo
group was started, and when many of us starting chatting online using
Yahoo messenger. We've been able to forge international friendships
through conversation, not just story posting. And that is worth
celebrating.

I miss those chats. I haven't signed onto Yahoo myself much lately, and
neither do other rpca'ers, I think. What a pity. I had many a nice
one-on-one chat with you, and with Tish and Krista. Group chats with others.

On 9/11 (or 11/9, as we would write it), I didn't know anything had
happened until I came home from work and turned on the computer and
started reading rpca. Vicky had posted her condolences to the American
members, but she didn't mention what had happened, so I turned on the TV
and saw those images. They were replayed for the rest of that night and
the following days. It felt completely unreal, as if I was watching some
catastrophe movie. I talked to my mum on the phone that night. We were
talking about something completely unrelated when I suddenly just burst
out crying. Mum knew immediately why.

Old September 12th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

jmcquown wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 11, 8:10 am, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote:
It was a brilliant morning, and I was on my way out the door to
vote in the
mayoral primary. I had the radio on, and it so happens that my
radio station has its studio in Lower Manhattan-- and they
reported-- disbelievingly-- that someone had visually spotted a
low-flying plane coming down the west side of Manhattan. And the
plane flew right into the
World Trade Center.

It's the kind of thing that just doesn't register when you hear
it-- or even
when you see it-- because I turned on the TV, and immediately saw
it. And
it still didn't register.

I had the TV on with the sound off, and the radio on-- and the
radio station
pretty much valiantly reported as eyewitnesses as events unfolded,
since they were pretty much right on the scene. When the second
plane materialized, and flew into the second building, that's when
I could feel something horrfying dawn on me-- but somehow that
didn't wholly register either.

I have to just interject here that although I was watching on TV
and listening on the radio, it wasn't as if I was watching from a
distance. For
us New Yorkers, even those of us in the boroughs, that's all very
much our
territory. That's part of our home. So many of us work there. My
brother
and I literally watched those buildings go up, almost brick by
brick, as kids. And my dad lives about six blocks away .
It wasn't all that different from if it were happening on my
block.

The moment has just passed when the second plane hit.

It's not a similar day at all-- it's grey and rainy. But whenever
we have
one of those pristine, crystal-clear fall days, my mind-- or
really something more in my body, my nervous system-- goes back to
that day.

Peace to the victims and healing to their families.

I've had a lot of somber thoughts today, too; and you were in them.
I sort of understand
"where you're coming from" so to speak, because I have a friend in
NY. It was everyone's
tragedy but in many ways it is so different for those to whom this
happened in their
'own back yard. She grew up in Queens, and like you, also mourned
the loss in a
deeply personal way. I remember her grieving for the loss of "her
skyline", on top of
everything else. (that is not as selfish as it sounds, you would
have to know her probably
to realize that it is not)

Not at all. As I said before, my brother and I saw the building go
up as kids, and I saw it every day from the subway for almost thirty
years. When you are in Manhattan, it can sometimes be easy to get
lost, but when you saw the towers, you knew you were facing south,
and you could orient yourself. It has been a hole in the sky, a
visual scar on our landscape.

I always get teary-eyed when I see older movies that show the NY
skyline, with those two magnificent towers still standing.

Jill

I try to avoid those movies, I find that sight very disturbing now. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 12th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Adrian A wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 11, 8:10 am, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote:
It was a brilliant morning, and I was on my way out the door to
vote in the
mayoral primary. I had the radio on, and it so happens that my
radio station has its studio in Lower Manhattan-- and they
reported-- disbelievingly-- that someone had visually spotted a
low-flying plane coming down the west side of Manhattan. And the
plane flew right into the
World Trade Center.

I always get teary-eyed when I see older movies that show the NY
skyline, with those two magnificent towers still standing.

Jill

I try to avoid those movies, I find that sight very disturbing now.
:-(

But how can you know they're going to show that view? It always sneaks up
on me and at first I'm startled, then I'm incredibly sad.

Old September 12th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

jmcquown wrote:
Adrian A wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

I avoid anything made before 2001 that's likely to show New York.

Old September 12th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sheelagh >o

On 11 Sep, 14:10, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote:
[...]

Peace Purrs & Best wishes to all concerned in this terrible disaster.
Sheelagh"o"

Old September 13th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Sep 11, 6:10 am, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote:
[...]

Six years ago Tuesday morning, I had turned on my radio to the local
classical musical station and was fixing breakfast, sort of half-
listening while trying to make my brain wake up. To say I'm not a
morning person is to put things very mildly. I don't turn on the TV
first thing in the morning as there's never a shortage of bad news,
and I'm not ready for it at that time of day. That was why I had no
idea of what had happened on the East Coast. The radio was playing a
rather somber piece of music, but I attatched no particular
significance to it. I had just poured my cup of tea when the
announcer came on the radio saying "The World Trade Center is gone."
That was literally my first inkling that anything WAS wrong or out of
the ordinary, that day. My first thought was "Gone? Where did it GO?"
Over the course of that day, I heard the total story of the planes,
the WTC and the Pentagon, and could hardly take the horror of it on
board. Bless the courage of those passengers aboard that Pennsylvania
flight.

I live under the flyover patterns for two local airports, and am
so used to the sounds of planes flying over that I had stopped
noticing them until those two days. The quiet was eerie and everything
looked normal here on the West Coast, but felt ominous. The attacks
were all anyone was talking about, of course. Then when I heard the
first plane fly over six years ago today, I was shocked at how loud it
sounded, as if they were about to land on a neighbor's roof. But I was
so happy for that little bit of normality restored.

I will always regret though, that those attacks were used as an excuse
for the Iraq war while Bin Laden himself remains free. "Bin Laden dead
or alive" was the first and last time I agreed with the Prez on just
about anything.

Melissa

Old September 13th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Shiral wrote:

Six years ago Tuesday morning, I had turned on my radio to the local
classical musical station and was fixing breakfast, sort of half-
listening while trying to make my brain wake up. To say I'm not a
morning person is to put things very mildly. I don't turn on the TV
first thing in the morning as there's never a shortage of bad news,
and I'm not ready for it at that time of day.

I can totally relate to this! Which is why, although Democracy Now is
on the radio during my commute time, I cannot listen to it. I tried to
a few times, but all I heard was Guantanamo, Abu Graibe (sp?), etc. I
just can't cope with torture stories before I've even had my first cup
of tea. So, it's Terry Gross for me.

(Note to non-US'ans - these are both morning talk radio shows. The first
is a fairly hard-hitting news program, the second, interviews with people
in the arts, sciences, and sometimes politics. The latter is mentally
stimulating and entertaining, and does not overwhelm with horror when
one's brain is not yet fully functioning!)

announcer came on the radio saying "The World Trade Center is gone."
That was literally my first inkling that anything WAS wrong or out of
the ordinary, that day. My first thought was "Gone? Where did it GO?"

That got a grim chuckle out of me...

That day was one of my work-at-home days, and sometimes I began my workday
rather late. That "morning" I settled down to my computer about 12:30 PM,
logged onto work email, and dialed into my voice mail. At the same time as
I was hearing a voice mail from a friend, saying, "Just wondering how you're
doing on this most bizarre of days," I was seeing the subject list of work
emails, all saying things like "Tragedy in New York", "Horror in NYC", etc -
including one from the CEO. What in god's name had happened??

After reading all those emails (the CEO's post had told everyone to go
home and be with their families), I went to the CNN website, and from
there, to my television, where I sat almost not moving for about 6 hours.

My first thought was that it was another nut job like Timothy McVeigh
who'd been responsible for this attack. So I was actually surprised when
they said it was the work of Saudi fundamentalists (a different breed of
nut job). If I'd been thinking clearly, I would have realized that some
pathetic survivalist type in his bunker, filled as it might be with all
manner of automatic weaponry, would nonetheless not have been able to
bring down both towers of the WTC.

I will always regret though, that those attacks were used as an excuse
for the Iraq war while Bin Laden himself remains free.

"Osama bin Forgotten" is one slogan I've heard.

Joyce
Old September 13th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

People have been sharing where they were and how they heard about the world
trade center. Here is mine.

At the time I was working at Michael's arts and crafts store in the frame
shop. It was separate room in the back of the store. Another co-worker and I
were in very early that day. We heard on the radio that was on in the store
about the first plane hitting the tower. As many people thought and so did
I, that it was a small plane and little damage was done. The radio station
went back to playing their music. A few minutes later more news reports and
from them on it was all coverage of the towers,.

A short time later we heard about a plane hitting the Pentagon. My co-worker
had a relative working there. I will never forget the look on her face.
First shook and then worry for a family member. She got on the phone and
started call her family. She did fine out that her relative in D.C was okay.
We all tried to work but kept stopping to listen to the reports on the
radio. We even had a few customers in the store that day.

When I got home at 2pm I saw the first news pictures of what happened. I
live about a 2 hour drive from New York City.

On another note about 9-11 and the fire fighters.

Our local fire department had created a fire fighter memorial garden for the
434 fire fighters that lost their lives that day. We donated our services to
laser engrave 2 pieces of glass with all the names. Another local business
donated there services to sand blast into a granet monument ( graves stone)
a picture of 2 fire trucks with an American flag between them.

Ann

ps.com...

Old September 14th 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Ann wrote:
People have been sharing where they were and how they heard about the world
trade center. Here is mine.

I was working a late shift so I had a very late lunch, I'd gone to the
Student Union bar and got a sandwich and a paper, I'd just sat down and
someone shouted at the manager to turn the television on. So we all saw that
a plane had hit the first tower, everyone agreed that it looked like a small
plane, a Cessna or something like that and it was probably just a tragic
accident, People started to look away then the one person who was still
watching literally screamed "There's another one!"

We all stared in complete silence as we saw the second plane and realised
that it wasn't a small plane, when it hit several people started shaking and
someone started crying

I went back to the shop and told the other staff what was going down, Jeff
whose dad had been in the army and he had spent most of his childhood and
teenage years in various states of the USA sat with his head buried in his
hands for some minutes and then said "This gives him the excuse he needs to
press the button, he's always wanted to do that because his dad didn't"

A little later someone upstairs from us leaned over the balcony and shouted
"they've come down!" We knew what he was talking about

At some point I called Dave who unsually didn't have the telly on so hadn't
seen the news.

London was eerie that evening, people just walking round looking completely
shocked, I stopped in my local pub and they had the news on (the first, last
and only time I think), everyone was just sitting there staring at the
television and shaking their heads.

I went home and Dave was staring at the television so I just sat down and
joined him, we sat there for an age without saying anything

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 15th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

You wanna know what makes my blood boil? I work at a Rest Area and this
year on 9/11 the flags were at lowered. There is a tourism desk where I
work. You would not believe how many people asked about the why the flag
was lowered and when told said something like, "Oh yeah, I guess that was
today." Don't know how disrespectful people can be or what it will take to
make them realize just what can happen. Needs to happen is some folks back
yard before they understand. Gramby