an odd question but...

Old February 12th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default an odd question but...

I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and other
animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one... what happens if
you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of funds to maintain your
current living accommodations?

other questions that occurred to me on this topic.

What would you sell to keep the house/apartment?

what would you move to to keep them?

would you be homeless with them?

Lee

Old February 12th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 12, 11:08*am, "Stormmee" wrote:
I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and other
animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one... what happens if
you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of funds to maintain your
current living accommodations?

other questions that occurred to me on this topic.

What would you sell to keep the house/apartment?

what would you move to to keep them?

would you be homeless with them?

Lee

Of course, I'd move to keep the cats, if it were just a question of
moving to a different
house. What would I sell to keep the house? Anything less important to
me than shelter
and transportation. Being homeless is kind of a moot question, since
I'm fairly sure I
won't ever be on the street--unless the entire extended family was
suddenly put out on
the street too. :-) . But if I were, no,
I would not keep the cats. It wouldn't be fair to them. Cats tend to
be just as attached
to their "places" as their people. I'd re-home them. It would be
selfish, IMO, to keep them
in that situation. What if the weather were frigid, and I had to take
shelter in a homeless shelter
for the night? They wouldn't allow pets. How on earth would you keep a
*cat* on the streets? In
a carrier? A leash?

Sherry
Old February 12th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

what occurred to me is that in our current situation we have a van, so
except for bathroom facilities for the two of us, the cats could stay in the
van with us, I would harness them, and when we were in the van let them out
and when we weren't I would put them in a carrier. but I would sell
everything short of myself to keep a roof over our heads, and DH is a hard
worker who finds no work too menial when circumstances require it, so I
don't anticipate homelessness either, it is something that occurred to me
because of another conversation... it was along the lines of what is
important to a person... I was hearing I am so poor, ... but at that same
moment cable TV is on and the net is downloading news groups...

things I would do without in no particular order;
-we already don't have cable because we aren't home enough to justify it.
-net/home phone service
-getting my nails and hair done.
-selling books/movies/music
-sell what few items of furniture we have that is fit to sell.
-selling one vehicle and only having one instead of two.
-selling the variety of electronic gadgets we have.
-selling china and other dishes I have collected.
-selling the few nice dolls and jewelry I have.
-selling my Griswold collection.

These are the things off the top of my head.

Old February 12th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

if you could get two of those rolling boards that you work under cars on,
tie them together and then attach the kennels and a handle you can pull them
behind you if need be, a duffle bag on top for your things, perhaps two
could take you quite a ways, Lee
kilikini wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and
other animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one... what
happens if you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of funds
to maintain your current living accommodations?

other questions that occurred to me on this topic.

What would you sell to keep the house/apartment?

what would you move to to keep them?

would you be homeless with them?

Lee

I've been homeless with a d*g before, so I'm sure I'd do the same with my
cats. It can be done. I currently don't have a car, don't have anything

sell, I have no bank account or credit cards, but I have two large kennels
that would help "house" my critters in such an emergency. I got them at a
yard sale for about $5 each and I think a d*g of 150 pounds would fit in
both of them, so 3 cats, separated, would be fine with litter in a cake

pan.

You can get creative when you have to. :~)

kili

Old February 12th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

moving expenses are something that has to be considered, most people don't
know how much it costs, I guess what got me started on this is the "fat" in
the budget, how can you tell me you are poor and might be homeless and might
have to give up your animals when you are watching cable TV, whilst surfing
the net eating a gourmet TV dinner drinking a starbucks? I just don't get
it, Lee
Cheryl P. wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
[...]

Well, a lot of people who think they are poor really have a lot of
leeway between their current situation and living on the street! I came
close to that once, but managed through luck and effort to keep the roof
over our heads, and I know people who can make my efforts at economy
look like wild extravagance! You know, the kind who simply don't waste
anything - so they don't buy a lot of clothes, or convenience foods or
eat out much etc etc and therefore manage to sometimes live better (more
comfortably and more peacefully) than some who have much more income but
also much, much higher expenses - some of which are clearly for wants
and not needs.

Although of course people end up homeless or nearly that for many
reasons - job loss, illness, etc etc - a lot of people really don't know
where their money goes and if they tracked it, would probably find out
that enough sort of disappeared on little luxuries like snacks and
unnecessary clothing and such things to pay to keep the roof over their
heads when a crisis hits. I know where the fat like that lies in my
budget! The challenge is to do something about it. If I were desperate
again, that's where I'd cut my expenses, and I'd probably look at
moonlighting to bring in more money. Moving house would be low on my
list - I do spend a lot on housing, but I'd spend even more for
someplace as convenient, and there's the question of moving expenses and
of course the cats.

Cheryl

Old February 12th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Stormmee" wrote in message
I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and other
animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one... what happens if
you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of funds to maintain your
current living accommodations?

other questions that occurred to me on this topic.

What would you sell to keep the house/apartment?

what would you move to to keep them?

would you be homeless with them?

Lee

In my mind, once you accept responsibility for someone else, your first
priority for the rest of their life is to keep a roof over their heads.
(Well maybe in the case of a dog, some sort of shelter)

One reason we don't have more furkids is that adding to the household would
put caring for the ones we already have at risk. Another is that we are old
enough we can no longer be reasonable certain at least one of us will be
around for their entire lives. With the dog and two cats, I know they will
always have homes and proper care regardless of what happens to us.

With the dog, that is a reason we got a purebred and make sure she is
healthy and well trained. If absolute worst came to worst, it would be easy
to rehome her.

It helps to have a huge extended family that would always make sure everyone
was OK.

Jo

Old February 12th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

well I have been sort of obsessing on this because like Jo I think once you
accept a being into your family then they are family and must be cared
for...so if you are homeless then for me at least I would keep them with me
as long as I could, Lee, ... must admit it would probably be one duffel for
me and DH to share and one for the masters,
kilikini wrote in message
Oh my gosh, I actually had a visual on that! ROFL.

kili

kilikini wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and
other animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one...
what happens if you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of
funds to maintain your current living accommodations?

other questions that occurred to me on this topic.

What would you sell to keep the house/apartment?

what would you move to to keep them?

would you be homeless with them?

Lee

I've been homeless with a d*g before, so I'm sure I'd do the same
with my cats. It can be done. I currently don't have a car, don't
have anything to sell, I have no bank account or credit cards, but I

Old February 12th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Stormmee wrote:

I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and other
animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one... what happens if
you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of funds to maintain your
current living accommodations?

Well, you see a lot of homeless people with dogs, and I
encountered a few in Los Angeles with cats, also.
Old February 12th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I had a friend, years ago, who was saying she was about to be homeless.

Two weeks after she told me that, I went to visit her. We talked and she
asked me what I would do in her situation. We did an inventory that went
something like this.

A stereo system that would make any geek on that sort of thing envious.

Furniture that was probably worth a few hundred bucks. A small apartment
size piano.

Five diamond rings and other jewelry.
So on and so on........

She said,"If I sell all this and things get better then I will have nothing.
I told her she would have her cat and dog.

To her the idea of not having a cell phone, land line, cable and net service
was our of the question.

I finally shook her hand, wished her luck and never bothered her again. She
got rid of the animals, to cut expenses, That was about all she did except
get a new boyfriend with money.

Old February 12th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:08:21 -0600, Stormmee wrote:

I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and other
animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one... what happens if
you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of funds to maintain your
current living accommodations?

other questions that occurred to me on this topic.

What would you sell to keep the house/apartment?

what would you move to to keep them?

would you be homeless with them?

Lee

I am trying to remember the words to an old song. Does anyone remember
"Accentuate the positive .........??the negative.....don't mess with Mr.
Inbetween"? MLB

Question for all Granby Cat community 33 September 7th 07 04:50 PM
Cat Collar Question / Cat harness question Suzanne via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 May 8th 05 07:27 AM
New cat question & weight question ElvisRocks Cat health & behaviour 6 April 1st 05 08:22 AM
Question Yoj Cat anecdotes 28 November 6th 04 09:58 AM
a serious question Heather-SCOTGIRL Cat health & behaviour 18 February 17th 04 10:39 AM