Cats and Snakes

Old February 9th 05, 04:20 PM

Ted Davis said:

There are also those of us who feel that it is more important that

the
cats be allowed to be cats instead of precious objects. I have a
number of cats and some of them are happiest living mostly outdoors in
the woods and fields while others are not at all sure that being
outdoors without their human is ever a good idea.

On the rare occasion that we can get our Main-coon to go out, he never
strays off of our deck. The 10 month old siblings however, beg to go
out night and day. I do wory about them a lot, but would not deprive
them of their love of the great outdoors and the hundreds of trees to
climb. The road is a little way from our house, but fortunately they
seem to be afraid of moving cars. It is sort of like your children; you
try to protrct them, but in the end they have to be their own persons
and risk living.

Dave

Old February 9th 05, 07:09 PM
BarB

On 7 Feb 2005 16:22:06 -0800, "
wrote:

Our two kittens have gotten pretty big now at 10 months. Since we
sometimes have mice, we have encouraged their natural hunting
instincts and they are bothterror on the mole and mouse population.
Yesterday Spirit ran into the house and proudly showed us the 3"
garter snake he had caught. The snake was returned to the woods and
since it was an unusal warm February day, the snake was very doscile
having just thawed out. He brought it back today and it was worse for
the wear. Last year we found a copperhead in our yard and I am not
eager for our cats to think snakes are fun toys. I am hoping that
when they encounter more agressive snakes, their instinct will ward
them off. I'm wondering if I should be conserned and what others have
experienced with cats and snakes.

I've had a similar experience with a garter snake that got into an
inclosed run. The kitten brought it in to play with and I was
surprised that she seemed to know exactly what to do with that snake.
She grabbed it behind the head, threw it in the air and jumped away.
I've seen the same behavior with a rubber snake toy.

Does that mean she could handle a poisonous one? I certainly wouldn't
want to count on it. I know dogs can be trained to avoid snakes but I
don't know about cats.

I found this site http://members.dcsi.net.au/ausmist/hlthspt.htm
which says cats are less susceptible to snake bite than dogs. I still
wouldn't take a chance.

BarB
Old February 9th 05, 10:44 PM
Ted Davis

On 9 Feb 2005 07:20:37 -0800, "
wrote:

Ted Davis said:

[...]

Yes indeed. I also have cats that avoid the road, not that it has
much traffic - only Snowball crosses the road to hunt, and not often
at that. They mostly stay on my property and on the more or less
abandoned property behind mine.

T.E.D. )