Companion for Kitten?

Old November 4th 03, 12:58 AM
Ted Davis

On 3 Nov 2003 06:50:44 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I have a spayed female kitten (a month or so old?). She's an indoor
cat and is pretty needy (meows when I'm not around, etc...).

I work full time and I spend time with friends on weekends, so there
are long periods when she's alone at home. I want to do what's best
for her, so I have a few questions:

1) Should I get another kitten to keep her company? If so, what
gender should the kitten be?

2) Should I give her away to folks who already have some cats? I
don't know if she's "bonded" with me or not so I don't know how much
it would hurt her to part company with me.

I see that Bob Brenchley is making a nuisance of himself here now. He
probably appears in more killfiles than anyone else in the cat and
legal groups. He is best filtered out; if you can't filter him,
ignore him. *Don't respond to him.* I notice he as added a warning
to his header about quoting him except in direct replies - that is
clearly to discourage the "you said this there and the opposite here -
which is it?" discussions that always follow his appearance.

As for your cat questions. Cats bond more readily with places than
with people, though this certainly does occur. The main effect is
that it is more difficult to successfully rehome a cat that has
established himself. They are also territorial, which can make it
difficult to introduce new cats. None of this applies very much to
kittens - they are easily rehomed and most easily introduced to
another kitten.

While cats are naturally solitary, their natural environment is far
from sterile and includes interactions with all sorts of other
animals: a lone kitten in a house with no other animals and no people
is starved for stimulation. Multiple cats usually get along well
enough that they keep each other stimulated without killing each
other. I strongly recommend at least one more kitten. I have good
results with multiple (neutered) males, but my (spayed) females don't
get along nearly as well with each other, and for that matter some
don't get along with the males, not even their own brothers, as well
as the other males do (but Millie and Snowball get along with
everybody) - a male might be the best bet.

Now I'm going to change the Bob Brenchley filter to global scope.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old November 4th 03, 05:36 AM
Judy

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:52:41 GMT, "Iso" wrote:

Remember that cats do not need to be social creatures

Yes they do - they are highly social creatures.

Try telling this to Matilda. Nothing she loves more (apart from her chow)
than to skin another cat. :c)

- unlike the
pack-orientated dog; they function happily on their own without a social
structure around them.

No they do not, that is one of the most common causes of stress in
cats.

Oh I know! Matilda gets very stressed when she isn't able to socialize with
other cats in her special way. LOL

Judy

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.

Old November 5th 03, 07:38 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:36:35 -0500, "Judy"
wrote:

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:52:41 GMT, "Iso" wrote:

Remember that cats do not need to be social creatures

Yes they do - they are highly social creatures.

Try telling this to Matilda. Nothing she loves more (apart from her chow)
than to skin another cat. :c)

Indeed, but establishing their status in the local social order is
part of the social nature of cats.

- unlike the
pack-orientated dog; they function happily on their own without a social
structure around them.

No they do not, that is one of the most common causes of stress in
cats.

Oh I know! Matilda gets very stressed when she isn't able to socialize with
other cats in her special way. LOL

I know a couple of humans like that

Judy

--
Bob.

Laugh and the world laughs with you... Cry, and the world looks
sheepish and suddenly remembers it had other plans.

Old November 5th 03, 07:45 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:58:25 -0600, Ted Davis
wrote:

[...]

Stupid idiot troll.

As for your cat questions. Cats bond more readily with places than
with people, though this certainly does occur.

While places are important to cats - their relationship with humans
far outweighs that.

The main effect is
that it is more difficult to successfully rehome a cat that has
established himself. They are also territorial, which can make it
difficult to introduce new cats. None of this applies very much to
kittens - they are easily rehomed and most easily introduced to
another kitten.

While cats are naturally solitary,

No they are not, they are highly social and most do prefer to have
company.

their natural environment is far
from sterile and includes interactions with all sorts of other
animals: a lone kitten in a house with no other animals and no people
is starved for stimulation. Multiple cats usually get along well
enough that they keep each other stimulated without killing each
other. I strongly recommend at least one more kitten. I have good
results with multiple (neutered) males, but my (spayed) females don't
get along nearly as well with each other, and for that matter some
don't get along with the males, not even their own brothers, as well
as the other males do (but Millie and Snowball get along with
everybody) - a male might be the best bet.

Now I'm going to change the Bob Brenchley filter to global scope.

Oh do shut up you stupid troll.

--
Bob.

I read your mind, and believe me, it was a short story...

Old November 6th 03, 05:39 AM
Judy

wrote:

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:52:41 GMT, "Iso" wrote:

Remember that cats do not need to be social creatures

Yes they do - they are highly social creatures.

Try telling this to Matilda. Nothing she loves more (apart from her chow)
than to skin another cat. :c)

Indeed, but establishing their status in the local social order is
part of the social nature of cats.

I agree and when it comes to the local social order - Matilda prefers to be
on top of things.

- unlike the
pack-orientated dog; they function happily on their own without a

social
structure around them.

No they do not, that is one of the most common causes of stress in
cats.

Oh I know! Matilda gets very stressed when she isn't able to socialize

with
other cats in her special way. LOL

I know a couple of humans like that

How true! At times there's nothing better than a good "hissy fit." Keeps
life interesting and the ball rolling. :c)

Judy