Lounge furniture

Old May 24th 04, 10:41 AM
KC

Default Lounge furniture

We have had our two adorable cats now for about 8 years (RB 8yrs, Kitty 6
yrs), and now we have a little maltese terrier to compliment our family.

Unfortunatley it has meant our furniture has taken the toll from scratching.

I have tried a couple of Cat Posts but with no success. We have also tried
rubbing in pepper powder, lavender, and chilli powder into the soft
furniture but somehow they all seem to like just scratching it.

I am now looking at replacing our three peice lounge cloth suite, and I'm
thinking of perhaps a leather suite rather than a cloth suite.

Would this solve the problem? Has anyone had any success choosing a leather
suite over a new clothe suite?

Additionally, is there a better way of making a scrathing post? Our two
cats live inside all the time, I do trim their claws about once a month,
however they do seem to want to continue to scratch on our furniture.

We love them dearly by the way, and they are family to us.

Kulander.

Old May 24th 04, 12:12 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:41:40 GMT, "KC"
wrote:

Would this solve the problem? Has anyone had any success choosing a leather
suite over a new clothe suite?

I have a leather suite; it is ripped to shreds ;o) And it's harder to
disguise the claw marks than on a cloth one! One thing I have noticed
though is that they never sit or sleep on the leather one.

Additionally, is there a better way of making a scrathing post? Our two
cats live inside all the time, I do trim their claws about once a month,
however they do seem to want to continue to scratch on our furniture.

I think even if you had 20 perfect scratch posts, they'd still like to
claw at the furniture. They don't know the difference between
'expensive furniture' and 'kitty-only post'. To them a large soft sofa
is just begging to be clawed! I guess the only thing you can do is
when the new sofa arrives, squirt the cats with a spray-trigger gun
filled with water each time they stretch up on it. You have to be
consistent though, and lock them out of the room when you're not
there. They will stop, I've tried this to stop one of mine always
runnign up the curtains - but! In my own case I'm too soft. When I got
the leather suite I felt guilty locking them out of the living room
when I wasn't there so my sofa soon got ruined.

Old May 24th 04, 12:50 PM
Sunflower

"KC" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Trim the claws twice a month and consider using Soft Paws. Use double
sticky tape (tape that has adhesive on both sides) on the corners of your
new furniture, and place a scratching post at EACH corner. That may sound
like excess, but it's NOT. Spray the scratching posts with Feliway and the
furniture with a CAT NO products. After about 2 weeks, you can remove the
double sticky tape. After about 2 more weeks, you can start to move a few
of the scratching posts to a less obtrusive spot, but you need at least one
post close to each piece of furniture. Keep a water pistol close at hand
for any backsliding and be prepared to do the tape thing again if something
in the house changes and upsets them. With cats, sometimes just the change
of season upsets their equilibrium, so this is never a once and you're done
type of training. You've got to always think like a cat, and sometimes cat
thinking means that cause and effect aren't always linked, or else they're
totally linked in a way you'd never expect. Like when you go to put canned
food in the dish and the cat sticks his head in there first and you dump the
food on his head. Some cats think that they always need the food dumped on
their head before they can eat, so they'll repeat the behavior. Some cats
think they need to claw "forbidden" objects and get squirted with the water
pistol before they claw "approved" objects because that's the way their
internal reward system has worked the problem out. You've got to be able to
shape their behavior even when you're not present, and that's why the double
sticky tape works so well.

Old May 25th 04, 12:56 AM
MIKE

I have several sisal scratching posts- one is four feet tall and some of
the horizontal cardboard scratchers. I don't trim my cat's claws at
all. Once in a while I see Amber clawing at the carpet but Tiger always
uses the scratching posts. I have never seen them use the furniture.
Maybe I'm just lucky!

-MIKE

Old May 25th 04, 11:15 AM
KC

I remember seeing an advert once for a little cap that you can stick onto
the cats claw. Very small and unobtrusive.

Have you had any experience in using these

BTW I do appreciate your responses.

Kulander.