faint shriek, faint Enid's vet bill.

Old April 12th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default faint shriek, faint Enid's vet bill.

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
Victor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
The invoice is for 233 pounds 30 pence and Enid never got the
endoscopy, as she died before it came about. Everything is
itemised, but for g sake who in their right mind would spend all
this money on a goose when you can buy another for less than 20
quid, a bit more sometimes.

I know what a pound is, but I have no idea what a pence or a quid is.
In
any case, we pay vet bills because our pets are family.
Purrs to you and your wallet!

Pence is the plural of penny, there are 100 pence to the pound, a quid is
nickname for the pound much like buck for a dollar.

What about a shilling? Is that not used anymore? I remember
learning arithmatic with pound, shilling, penny when I was a kid studying in
an
English school.

Winnie

--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 12th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
Victor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
The invoice is for 233 pounds 30 pence and Enid never got the
endoscopy, as she died before it came about. Everything is
itemised, but for g sake who in their right mind would spend all
this money on a goose when you can buy another for less than 20
quid, a bit more sometimes.

I know what a pound is, but I have no idea what a pence or a quid
is.
In
any case, we pay vet bills because our pets are family.
Purrs to you and your wallet!

Pence is the plural of penny, there are 100 pence to the pound, a
quid is a
nickname for the pound much like buck for a dollar.

What about a shilling? Is that not used anymore? I remember
learning arithmatic with pound, shilling, penny when I was a kid
studying in an
English school.

No longer used, we went decimal in January 1971, since then it's been £ p
instead of £ s d. I sometimes tease my older relatives by converting prices
to the old money, when my aunt says 'I wish you wouldn't do that' I convert
to euros instead, she says that's even worse. ;-)

Old April 12th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
No longer used, we went decimal in January 1971, since then it's been £ p
instead of £ s d. I sometimes tease my older relatives by converting
prices
to the old money, when my aunt says 'I wish you wouldn't do that' I
convert
to euros instead, she says that's even worse. ;-)

Guess I showed my age. I am glad you went decimal. As a kid, I often got
mixed up with 12 pennird to a shilling and 20 shillings to a pound. Or was
it the
other way around? Doesn't matter any more, does it?
Is UK going to convert to Euros?

Winnie

Old April 12th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
No longer used, we went decimal in January 1971, since then it's
been £ p instead of £ s d. I sometimes tease my older relatives by
converting prices
to the old money, when my aunt says 'I wish you wouldn't do that' I
convert
to euros instead, she says that's even worse. ;-)

Guess I showed my age. I am glad you went decimal. As a kid, I often
got mixed up with 12 pennird to a shilling and 20 shillings to a
pound. Or was it the
other way around? Doesn't matter any more, does it?

No it doesn't really matter, there were 12 pennies to a shilling and 20
shillings to the pound, now it's just 100 pennies to the pound, 1 new penny
being worth 2.4 old ones.

Is UK going to convert to Euros?

Some people would like to, but I think the majority wouldn't and as the
government has promised a referendum if and when they think the time is
right, I think it's unlikely.

This has started me thinking, I wonder how many Australians remember £sd,
they changed in the 1960's I believe 10 shillings became 1 dollar.

Old April 12th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message

At least you never have to worry about this group's understanding of why
you'd spend 200 pounds on an animal when the purchase price of another is
10% of that. I thinkwe've all been there at one time or another.

Indeed. Waffles cost naught in money terms, but she's had a several of
hundreds of pounds of vet fees spent out on her. Worth every penny too.

Cheers, helen s

Old April 12th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:41:25 -0400, "W. Leong"
wrote:

What about a shilling? Is that not used anymore? I remember
learning arithmatic with pound, shilling, penny when I was a kid studying in
an
English school.

The s and the d are 35 years gone, and there are now 100 p to the
pound.

I recently read a book, published in the UK not long ago, that was
careful to explain that a shilling was 5 p.

Old April 12th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:

I once got told by a 60 a day smoker who went out clubbing 3 or 4 times
a week that I was stupid to spend so much money on my cats, especially
since I was always struggling financially.

I've never smoked, I very rarely drink, and my social life is not
exactly "on the wild side". At the moment, I quite often miss out on the
basics to make sure that the furry ones are fed properly and get the vet
care they need.

You can't put a price on a friends life.

Helen M

I would have told this person to mind their own business! Or kiss my ass.
Pets are expensive. So are children. So is anything else in life! I spent 800
dollars just getting my cat diagnosed. He was infested with tumors and 3
weeks later I had to put him to sleep cause he couldn't eat anymore. I would
have spent anything if I could have helped him. In the end I was at peace
with my decision because I knew there was nothing I could do. I don't see why
people feel the need to care how much you spend your hard earned money on a
pet. If it's not coming out of their pocket then why should they care?
Old April 12th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message

At least you never have to worry about this group's understanding of why
you'd spend 200 pounds on an animal when the purchase price of another is
10% of that. I thinkwe've all been there at one time or another.

Indeed. Waffles cost naught in money terms, but she's had a several of
hundreds of pounds of vet fees spent out on her. Worth every penny too.

Cheers, helen s

If only more people understood just how expensive a free kitten or puppy is.

We've had raised eyebrows over the cost of some of our purebreds. But it
only took about 6 weeks to spend more on Kayla than we paid for her. And
that's not counting the emergency vet visit after we thought she might have
been caught in a door.

We're shopping today for a bigger crate for her. Unbelievable how she's
grown.

I just love watching Molly play pat a cake with her. Molly is the cat I was
afraid would leave and never come back when we got a pup.

Jo

Jo

Old April 13th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bianca L u20815@uwe wrote:

Helen Miles wrote:

I once got told by a 60 a day smoker who went out clubbing 3 or 4 times
a week that I was stupid to spend so much money on my cats, especially
since I was always struggling financially.

I would have told this person to mind their own business! Or kiss my ass.

No kidding! You could have said the same thing back to her about her
partying and other habits. Not that that's your business either, but just
to give her a sense of how it feels to have someone tell you what your
financial priorities should be.

Joyce
Old April 14th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-12, Jo Firey penned:

If only more people understood just how expensive a free kitten or
puppy is.

Well, they sure can have expensive medical conditions. Or not. Oscar
had a little bacterial infection, but I don't remember it being all
*that* expensive to treat. She was otherwise perfectly healthy.

And some people buy pets and still find themselves spending a bundle
on vet bills.

The primary thing is to realize that inviting a pet into your
household is a responsibility, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I
thought I knew that already, but my sad experience with Eros made me
realize that I still hadn't quite gotten it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully